General Which of these tweaks would be draining my battery?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bkribbs, Jan 8, 2014.

1. bkribbs macrumors 65816

I have definitely noticed some amount of battery drain compared to pre jailbreak, and would like to know if any of these tweaks would be the culprit:

Activator
    Applist
    Assistant Unrestrictor
    Bloard
    FakeClockUp
    FlipControlCenter
    iFile
    iTunesRadioUnlimited
    Messages Customizer
    MobileTerminal
    Nitrous
    NoNewsIsGoodNews
    PandoraSkips
    Phantom
    SplitMail
    SwitchSpring
    TapTodaysCalendar
    TimeForAlarm
    TransparentDock
    TransparentVolume
    VirtualHome

Do any of those sound bad for battery? None stuck out to me.

2. Silverrune macrumors regular

Random guess. Virtual Home just because of the "This also enables devices to detect unlocking without the need to press home or sleep button first." That to me sounds like it's always searching for the input. But I may be wrong.

3. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess I could try disabling that for now, though I think I also feel a bit of drain on my mini and I don't have that on there.

4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Remove them all and add them back one per day until you notice your battery drain increase.

5. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

But... so... many...

I guess I will unless someone has a good idea

6. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

It's more likely a combination of all the tweaks combined that's draining the battery. I am familiar with most of the tweaks, and those that are left I doubt would cause major battery drainage.

7. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

So you think that I should notice the battery life is lower? Its been a while since I've been on the JB scene so I don't remember the difference really.

Worth a fresh restore if I didn't set up as a new device?

8. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

With all those tweaks installed? Yes that's definitely going to reduce your battery life to a certain degree. Having such tweaks installed comes at a price. It's nice to have but it turns your battery life into that of an android device.

9. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you think a clean restore would help?

10. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

If by "clean restore" you mean; restore the iPhone and then rejailbreak and reinstall all of the tweaks, then no.

If you mean just restore and rejailbreak, then from there battery life should improve yes.

11. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

I meant that when I jailbroke I restored from my backup of 7.0.4 and then jailbroke, would it help to jailbreak and not restore from the backup, but then reinstall the majority of those tweaks?

12. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Wether or not you do a back up or a full restore is not significant, the only way to improve batterylife at this point, is to either uninstall a few tweaks, or keep them all and cope with the short battery life.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My battery has been really sucking on this new jb too and I don't even have that many items installed.
    I need to charge it like 3 times a day now and battery dies very fast.
    I'm gonna start removing one by one per day to see if I can pinpoint the battery hog hack.

14. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Activator has "Listeners". I have always had a battery drain situation when using it.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The ones I have installed that the op has is fakeclockup and pandora skips.

16. z06gal macrumors 6502a

I do not have but a few tweaks installed but removing virtual home improved my battery life. It was also causing the phone to repring itself so I will wait a bit and try it again

17. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Virtual Home states right in the settings "QUICK UNLOCK WILL CONSUME CERTAIN AMOUNT OF BATTERY". If you have that option turned on that could be the problem.

18. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I like the feature but I have that off.

----------

I uninstalled pandora skips on my ipad but it's still on my phone. Fake clock up is only on my ipad.

----------

Yeah I would give it up if I could keep flip control center, though I'm not sure why it needs it...

----------

Did you have the quick unlock option enabled?

No resprings for me.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its weird cause I have all the same stuff installed on my iphone 5, ipad mini and ipad 3.
    But the only one with battery issues is the iphone. But ipads have bigger batteries so maybe not a good comparison.
    Unless iGotYa that's running only on the iphone is causing the drain...
    I guess only real way is to start the elimination process day by day.

20. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

The JB was draining my battery like crazy even I didn't have much tweaks. I did restore and did a full charge and left in the charger for another hour and Jb again. only installed must-have tweaks. I think the restore helped.

Now I have a big battery drain problem on my iphone4 but I'm not complaining as I think iphone4 is already doing a great job with IOS7 and even a JB on top of it :)

21. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

About the only thing that could be draining your battery is excess CPU usage. So the question is what is using your CPU. Have you tried using top to determine what is using your CPU?

Here's what you need to do:

1. Install top and openSSH from Cydia.
    2. Find your phone's wifi ip address (there are a number of apps that can display it; you could try Smart System Info from the app store)
    3. Open Terminal on you rMBP.
    4. Login to your phone by typing:
    Code:
    ssh root@iphoneipaddress
    (replacing 'iphoneipaddress' with the wifi ip address from step 20.
    5. When prompted, enter your password (if you have not changed it, it will be alpine).
    6. Because iOS7 has changed the location of terminal information and top has not yet been updated, you will need to create a symbolic link to the xterm-color profile, then export TERM to xterm-color. To do this, type the following commands:
    Code:
    ln -s x /usr/share/terminfo/78
    export TERM=xterm-color
    7. At the command prompt, type the following command to run top and sort the results by cpu usage:
    Code:
    top -u
    This will bring up a list of processes, with the ones using the most CPU at the top. Watch this for a while and see what processes are using the most. If your phone is like mine, top will be the first process listed, with around 3.0% on my iPhone 4S (which makes sense, since it is actually doing something). If something else is hogging CPU, it should show up there.

If you can't interpret the results, post your top five consistent processes (there will be temporary spikes in background processes from time to time as your phone checks for mail, etc.; we're not interested in those) here and we can give you advice.

Note: for me the top five processes with approximate CPU usage are:

top - 3.0%
    backboardd - 0.9%
    launchd - 0.6
    SpringBoar - 0.3%
    UserEventA - 0.2%

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You are the man Latinist.
    I'm going to do that soon to find out what is causing my drainage.
    Thank you.

23. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Worth noting top isn't in the user cydia, you have to be either a dev or the other option for it to show up.

What is backboardd? That one would go up a lot when I started doing about anything.

edit- eh so that was me just touching the screen basically setting that off. So any idea then what you would say?

24. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

backboardd is the daemon that handles touch events and UI animations, etc. it usually will use some cpu no matter how little you're doing. If you suspect a tweak is affecting backboardd, try the following command to see what tweaks are hooking into backboardd:

Code:
    grep backboardd /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/*.plist
    On my phone the only one is Screen Dimmer.

25. charlestx macrumors regular

charlestx

Is the process the same using Windows 7?