Which one would you keep? (Or return them all?)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SupraSaiyan, Mar 29, 2012.

1. SupraSaiyan macrumors newbie

I've opened up 4 iPads today and these 3 are the best of the bunch. Which of the three would you guys suggest keeping? Or should I return them all and try my luck again?

Attached Files:

2. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I wouldn't accept any of those, but if I had to choose, I'd pick the one on the left because it has the most diffuse backlight bleed.

3. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

I would return them all and try again. On the ipad 2, it took 5 tries before I got one that didn't have the backlight issue. With the new ipad I don't have any problems.

4. SupraSaiyan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I'm just torn because I actually want to use the iPad after many tries yet I'm very picky in terms of my displays. I figured one out of four would work out.

5. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

If you've ever read any of my posts, I always say it would be rare to find one with no backlight bleeding at all because the issue is due to assembly/ design and not faulty panels. However, I suggest, if you are picky with displays and are set on having a new iPad, to return them and keep trying. The honeymoon phase of "I'm getting to play with my new toy now" will wear off fairly quickly, and when it does that backlight bleeding will be nagging at your conscience. Don't want to miss the 14-day return window, either.

6. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Can you tell us under what brightness settings are you getting this? i.e., 50% with auto=on.

7. SupraSaiyan thread starter macrumors newbie

100% brightness auto = off

I tried to keep the one on the furthest right and left it at 50% brightness, but the bleeding was so noticeable while reading a PDF that I had to buy a few more just to test.

I also had my eye's laser corrected and own an NEC 2490 monitor, several 2209WA, and a Pioneer KRP 500M. So yes, you can say I'm picky but I try my best to look past it on the new iPad :)

8. MR1324 macrumors 6502

can you explain to me why this is an issue during normal day to day use?

9. Jackintosh, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I'd say at the maximum possible brightness settings (which is what you have set), that amount of bleed is fairly typical. I tested mine at that level and it was similar. If you still notice it at 50% auto=on, then yes I would consider return. But I can't imagine you'd see anything at that normal level. (I'd keep the one on the far right).

10. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Sure, I can. Many people enjoy using dark apps (including the bundled Videos app), reading ebooks at night using the darker backgrounds, viewing photos that happen to have dark areas, visiting websites with darker backgrounds, and, more frequently, enjoy viewing letterbox movies and videos, often at night or in dim lighting. I hope that answers your question.

11. MR1324 macrumors 6502

My light bleed is about the same as the image on the left and I have done all the things you have described with no issues. OP, I recommend you keep the left one because basically all ipads have some amount of light bleed.

12. AR15MBP macrumors regular

Which is the most uniform during day to day use? That's how I would determine which one to keep. I have zero backlight bleed, however I do have a slightly non-uniform screen.

13. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Are you watching letterboxed movies at night with the brightness anywhere near that high though? At the most extreme, I might have my brightness at 75% in that type of circumstance, but it's usually at either a notch below or above 50%.

I do think that the second and third would be unacceptable for myself. If you really can see the bleed in the first one though under the normal circumstances that you'd be using it, then it's certainly worth swapping out as well.

14. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

Some people really have the expendable cash to buy 4 iPads at once?

15. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Wonderful, good for you, but not everyone has your level of tolerance. The OP has already stated he is picky about his screens.

Have you ever heard of a credit card?

16. MR1324 macrumors 6502

Yes that's too bad. He/she could be having a lot of fun with the iPad right now if not for the minor light bleed issues.

17. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

"Ditto" Return them. You paid good money for a good product and those shown are lacking. Get your monies worth, I say, and send a message to the manufacture that you want a good device without flaws.... ;)

18. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

No cant say I have what are they?

19. Oskiwawa macrumors newbie

Oskiwawa

No iPad is going to be perfect, they all have some slight flaws. At some point you have to stop buying mass quantities of them and accept one that seems reasonable.

20. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Great job posting this with the photographs. I would not be happy with any of those screens and neither should you. Are you able to try a different store and hopefully a different batch? Wish you luck finding an acceptable one. :)

21. SupraSaiyan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd appreciate all the response and the replies on some of the questions asked in this thread.

I should also note that all these were from the same factory ,DN (China, Chengdu - Foxconn) and build week 7.

22. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

It seems to me the only ones complaining are the ones in these small online tech forums. Millions of others are enjoying their iPads and the other enjoyments of life.

Long walks in the park, fine delicacies, sex. Yet the people on here seem to love purchasing and returning in large quantities over issues that any other tablet would have worse. This whole "light bleed" thing is asinine. Have you ever taken a look at other LCD screens?

23. MR1324 macrumors 6502

well there's the problem. better fire those workers because they're building them wrong. i think you should wait like a month so that you are guaranteed to get a new batch.

24. mariotr87 macrumors regular

I think that any of those is fine, because light bleeding is kind of a stupid issue that 90% of the screens have. Focuse on testing them during normal use (and no, brightness at maximum in a dark room is not normal use). Focuse on functionality as well. If one of those doesn't overheat, the battery is ok and the hardware is performing properly you are good to go with that one.

25. ZipZap macrumors 601

Finally an honest man and the real the truth.