Which paint/drawing App would you recommend?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by MicroByte, Apr 20, 2010.

1. MicroByte macrumors 6502

I'm torn as to which would be the best and easiest to use. I've used Gimp/Paint Shop Pro for years, but am in no way an expert or professional. However, with the prospect of the iPad, I would love to get one of the following for general goofing.

SketchBook Pro
    ArtStudio for iPad
    Brushes

The Price for ArtStudio is just so tempting ($0.99) and seems just as robust as the others. For anyone who has used these, which would you recommend? Should I just go for the cheapest now or is one of the other 2 just that much better?

2. BobRichards macrumors regular

I only have sketch book pro, but it might be worth a look if the price doesn't bother you. It has a ton of features, and a bunch of brushes

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I haven't tried the other two, but SketchBook Pro is pretty awesome. Many brushes, layers (up to 6), zooming, and many options. There are some things they could improve (a faster way to snap back out to 100% view, store color swatches, apply color ranges such as a Hue value randomly on each stroke), but for a general sketching app, it's great.

4. MicroByte thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone for the responses. I went the cheap route and picked up ArtStudio to see what it would be like drawing/painting on an iPad with my finger. I have to say it is a fun and amazing experience!

ArtStudio offers a number of tools and is enabling me to do what I need to to get going. It's probably the best dollar I've spent on either the iPad or my iPod Touch, fantastic!

I'll have to post later with the painting I've been working on.

I think once I get more experience, I might try one of the more expensive packages unless ArtStudio continues to suit my needs.

Again, I feel it's the best dollar I've spent so far!

5. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

I think Brushes is probably the most polished of the painting apps, but some hardcore folks have said Sketchbook Pro is a little better in a couple areas.

6. MicroByte thread starter macrumors 6502

I wanted to share my first iPad painting done on ArtStudio. As mentioned, I'm not a professional, just someone who likes to paint for fun! I need to work on the flower some more, but I love the way it came out. I actually have this as my home screen wallpaper since it's dark and actually looks good! :p

[​IMG]

If anyone wants the full size for their wallpaper, I'd be happy to share!

7. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

MicroByte, your work is lovely, very good! :) looks a good app.

8. Kawjumper201 macrumors member

I use artstudio and like it a lot. I am not artistic tho so i dont use it to its potential.

9. Kawjumper201 macrumors member

10. MicroByte thread starter macrumors 6502

@ClaireL, @Kawjumper201 - Thanks so much for the praise! I'm having a blast and can't wait to get more familiar with everything! :)

11. MicroByte thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is another painting done in ArtStudio. Again I can't get over how great it is to actually "feel" like I'm painting using something other than a mouse!

[​IMG]

12. virx macrumors member

Those are some nice paintings! Are you painting using your finger or did you get a stylus?

13. MicroByte thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm finger painting... makes me feel like I'm in Kindergarten!

14. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

15. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Wow those paintings are superb! I hsve been using adobe ideas to doodle and draw some pictures from time to time.

16. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

After extensively using brushes on my Touch and being very satisfied with it, I could imagine Brushes for iPad will be exponentially better. Assuming you have money for it.

17. Aranince macrumors 65816

18. jodorowsky00 macrumors regular

19. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Any other thoughts regarding Sketchbook Pro vs Brushes? I have Artstudio and still want to try one of the other ones.

I should note I'm a casual sketcher and haven't used any digital app for sketching before. So easy, intuitive menus and workflow is important me.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

21. supermanx macrumors member

I think artstudio would work very well for anyone who is not a serious artist. Great bang for the buck.

22. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Thank you all for this thread. I needed to get as many opinions regarding the various painting apps for the iPad. ArtStudio's price can't be beat, and the features are fantastic.

23. Mshilling macrumors regular

I had to try artstudio after this. I am NOT an artist, drawing stick figures is a stretch for me. That being said, here is my 15 minute take on your drawing ;)

[​IMG]

24. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

My brother showed me this app called Splatter this morning. It looks pretty interesting, and it's free.

25. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I said the hell with it and bought all three. :)