Which platform is right for me?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Michael73, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

I've seen the threads with hundreds of posts of xbox vs ps3. It seems like many of you guys play fps-type games or others games that I certainly don't want my 6 year-old playing (yet, anyway).

So, here's the thing. I'm getting a console system for my 6 year old this holiday and I'm choosing between the xbox and ps3. For his use, it's pretty simple. Initally, he won't be gaming online and all he wants is lego batman and lego Indiana Jones - titles available on BOTH systems.

For me I'M OLD SCHOOL. I want to play, tetris, pacman / ms. pacman, donkey kong, asteroids, space invaders, joust, missile command, etc. Basically all the arcade games I grew up with in the early to mid-80s. the only exception is that I might want a really good flight sim but the arcade games would take precedence.

So, given that either console system will work for my son, which one would be better for me?

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Step one: Buy a PS2.

Step two: Buy the following:

Sega Genesis Collection, Midway Collection 1, and #2, Namco collection, Atari Collection, and if you can find it cheap, Tetris PS2. There is also collection for early Capcom games, and an EA classics collection too. All are cheap and fun if you just want old school stuff.

Or, if you are more tech minded, you could always build a little PC to run emulators then you get ALL the old games for the low low price of ....free off teh int3rw3bz. Maybe even make a little arcade cabinet and get some joysticks up in that biatch(my dream *sigh*)

But if it's just between 360 and PStrois... I would go with 360. Only because it's cheaper, and XBLA has games like Pacman Championship edition, which is awesome. And your son could play lots of the arcade games found on the compilation discs (which run at $5 at EB).

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Among the current generation consoles, the Wii is the most kid friendly and it's good for party games. But as an adult who likes mostly FPS and RPG, with Mature Ratings, the Wii is a non-starter.

4. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

Have you ever thought about buying a wii? cheaper, a lot of kid friendly (mario etc) games. and You can download all the classic games to it to play those on the system.

wii sports is also a lot of fun for any age.

5. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

My son has got 2 close friends - one has a wii, the other has both an xbox and a PS3. At first my son said he wanted a wii but then switched and now says he wants an xbox. When I told him that both the xbox and ps3 have the same lego games he looked surprised and when I asked again he said he didn't care.

I'm leaning toward the ps3 for a couple of reasons, I don't yet own a blu-ray player and I figure that if I'm going to drop this much on a game system, it would be a nice bonus. Another reason is that for $50 more, have a 250GB HDD seems like a no brainer upgrade. I also like the idea of FREE online gaming versus an annual membership for xbox live. I'm already blown away by games that cost $50+ as back in the day, my friends and I traded atari console cartridges that were like $5 or $10 each. It also seems like M$ really nickels and dimes you. I was asking the guy at BB about a second controller and he said the ps3 ones come with rechargeable batteries and you don't need to buy a second charging station since when they're plugged in they're recharging...all not the case with xbox.

So, will the Sega Genesis Collection, Midway Collection 1, and #2, Namco collection, Atari Collection, and Tetris games work on a PS3?

BTW, any console is being played on a 52" Samsung 1080p LCD tv I got a little less than a year ago with sound coming out of a klipsch 5.1 sound system. I can't wait...

Next question...do either of these consoles support "users" profiles with time based restrictions? I'd love to set up a user profile just for my son with an hour or two time limit otherwise I'm never going to be able to pull him away from the system!

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sounds like you want a console that both you and your son can enjoy. You've made your mind on the PS3 and at the $299.99 price point with everything you need in the box excluding HDMI cables(5-10 bucks) its a hell of a package. The 360/PS3 library are basically the same and PSN does have some kid friendly games for you and your son can enjoy.

I'm not really sure about the parental controls on the PS3 but the 360 parental controls are good.

Bluray/Net-flicks is also at your finger tips with the PS3 so rock on.

Bless

7. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

What if/any integration points are there between either of the consoles and the network I have in the house?

Both computers on the network are Macs (MBP & MP). Are either console more Mac friendly?

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There's a download service for the Wii called the Virtual Console that has a massive library of classic games. Last time I checked it had NES, SNES, N64, Master System, Mega Drive, MAME and Commodore 64 games.

Watch out though - they're a time and money sink :(.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

For the 360 just run an ethernet cord from it to your router/modem and you are connected to the net. I assume the PS would be the same. I am not familiar with wireless solutions for either platform.

Playstation does not charge a subscription for their online gaming?? :eek:

10. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not sure what you get from M$ for the $50 or $100 annual fee, but the guy at BB seemed to really sell the PS3 for the money you save if you game online. I found this in the wiki article:

On May 15, 2006, Sony announced a unified online service for the PlayStation 3 system at the 2006 PlayStation Business Briefing meeting in Tokyo,[3] tentatively named "PlayStation Network Platform". Sony also confirmed that the service will always be connected,[4] free,[5] and include multiplayer support.[6] The full list of features available at launch were announced at their TGS 2006 press conference. When the network launched, the registration interface could only be accessed through the PS3 or PSP system interfaces.[7] This has been changed since to allow users to sign up from the PlayStation Network website.

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Either would be good, the two consoles are getting closer and closer all the time, IMO.

I've both, and in my experience:

For the 360:
    - Some good game exclusives.
    - Better controller (IMO).
    - Slightly better graphics (or more specifically, fewer graphical glitches)
    - Far better for streaming video.

For the PS3:
    - Far quieter.
    - Blu ray.
    - Slightly smaller controller, better for kids' hands.
    - Far more reliable.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

These days the PS3 & 360 are pretty much identikit in nearly all regards. There are a few ups and downs on both platforms, however listening to your requirements I would go for the ps3.

Get yourself games like Lego Batman etc.. and then bolster your kiddie / family collection with Buzz, Eyepet, Ratchet & Clank....

The 360's exclusives tend to be more 'adult orientated' albeit with a few exceptions like Viva Pinata & Banjo Kazooie.

Like wise the Blu-Ray player is a bonus, especially if you don't play a huge amount of games at least you have that facility, and I'm sure junior would love all those Disney & Pixar films they are releasing on blu-ray :) (I do and I haven't been 6 in a long long time :D )

PSN the playstation 3's online service and store are both very serviceable and have improved leaps and bounds - with much of the criticism first addressed about Sony's online service, subsequently fixed and corrected.

My only question would be 'do you really need the 250gb' version ? Sure if it's only $50 more and maybe you can get an extra bundled game it might be worth the upgrade, but I honestly don't think you will fill the 120gb given your description of play habits and intent of the machine.

Enjoy and purchase in confidence regardless of what you choose in the end.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't have a paid M$ account, all my xbox play is solo or local coop. I want to say it's like $7 per month. If true, your link could be good news in that M$ may feel the need to match...

14. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I went with the new PS3 Slim because it has Blu-Ray, Free online gaming and built in WiFi. Oh and it does not have a power brick.. so its very compact..

15. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

For kids or for Classic gaming I'd definitely say the Wii is awesome.

I have a Wii, an Xbox 360 (W/Live) and am going to get a PS3 soon. I like games, what can I say? :D

In order to justify this I tend to have specific reasons why I think each console is good.

For what you describe I think a Wii would be great. Only downside is you won't have Blueray (My key reason for wanting a PS3 now).

Wii is just really simple and kid friendly. It's not really in a category with the PS3 and Xbox, but rather it's own category. It is not a hardcore gaming system, but it doesn't seem like you're really looking for something like that.

The Wii has built in Wifi to connect to your network (so does the PS3, the 360 needs either a Wifi add on or an ethernet cable). The Virtual Console and store on the Wii give you a lot of classic games from a lot of consoles at good prices.

However if you want more of a Blueray player and then a game player (in that order) I'd say PS3.

If you're planning on getting into online gaming I'd honestly recommend the 360. It's $50/year for a gold account that lets you play online, but the online play is far more polished and smooth than on the PS3. I've used both (my brothers both have PS3's and Xbox's and they feel the same way). I'll put it this way, you get what you pay for. :D

I don't know if that helped you decide or made things harder, but either way more info can't hurt!!! Right? :eek: