Which Refurb?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GermanyChris, Sep 27, 2012.

1. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I'm thinking I'm going to go completely baseline because in all reality if I upgrade it'll be to a 6 core and not a faster 4.

I make short web movies for the internal news channel, design posters and banners and the like in Ps, certificates and such in Ai, nothing really processor bound to the point where processor power is it. I need 16 to 24GB of RAM really nothing special..

Attached Files:

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

completely baseline. if you have a discover card and link from discover site 5% off.

3. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

If your plan is CPU & RAM upgrade, than cheaper one.

4. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I don't think I'd ever pay Apple for a RAM upgrade..

For the CPU meh..If I think I need it I'll put one in..Kinda one of those things. The 300 more for the faster 4 core is half way to a 6 core..

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Strange you are seeing prices in dollars in Southern Germany.

Based on your needs I'd say the base unit and upgrade the CPU, GPU, or memory on your own later as needed.

6. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I'm American..

Apple.com if the follow through is euro then I connect the VPN and pay in dollars. either way free shipping to my APO.

7. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

Did I say from Apple ? I meant generally, does he planning to upgrade machine after buying.

8. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

9. avemestr macrumors regular

10. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

11. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'd go with the refurbished. Actually, do you need it now? I know everyone says to wait, and I'd agree. The Mac Pro is pretty dated now and it will probably get updated within the next 6 months or so.
    Also, never, ever, pay Apple for RAM. Unless it's un-upgradable like on the Air or MacBook Pro, always buy it aftermarket, you'll save usually around half the cost.

12. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I have no intention on waiting because I think the MP will be nixed next year. I have no intention on paying Apple for RAM, Graphics, or HDD's .

Here is ebay to compare prices keep in mind I earn in Dollars .774 to the Euro.

Attached Files:

13. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

I don't think Apple will stop making a workstation, it may take a different design format but it will still be a workstation. Having waited this long, a new model with up to date CPUs will blow a 2010 version out of the water when it eventually arrives. By all means buy one now but be prepared to resell.
    You are right to shop around for the upgrades, I bought a base 8 core unit (2.8 Ghz) in 2008 and saved a fortune with after market RAM, HDD, SSD purchases and PC GFX cards which I flashed myself.
    I will hang on till my 2008 octo becomes a problem then refresh, hopefully not before 2014.

14. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Do we really know if even the Mac Pro will exist in its current form in 2013? We are all speculating here, for all we know, the Mac Pro may be replaced by some xmac or iMac Pro type machine?!

We simply don't know even though the evidence is found in a letter by Timmy Cook.

15. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

For $320 I would go for the 2012 unit with the faster processor and more memory.

16. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

Agreed, but whatever Pro solution Apple produce will most likely be upgradable and already more powerful than a 2010 CPU based Mac Pro before you do so.