Which remote desktop app is best for me?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by brudog68, Apr 16, 2011.

1. brudog68 macrumors 6502

Been reading other threads and a little more confused now...

I just installed team viewer but haven't played with it enough to know what it's capable of.

I have a windows pc (vista home premium), wanting to access locally on wifi(just a basic home network) and easily with 3 g when out, and would need the ability to wake it from sleep.

The work I'll be wanting to do remotely involves entering data in lots of separate and small fields etc ,so mouse and keyboard perks would be useful, along with a large viewing area.

Im just techy enough to be dangerous so an easy setup while being as secure as possible is preferred.

Cost is not a concern up to $30 or so...

Your opinions and experience is appreciated...

Ipad2

2. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

3. calvy macrumors 65816

If you want simple, and easy to configure. You want logmein ignition. I love it personally and I have years of experience with vnc servers and clients. Logmein has an excellent interface and requires no firewall or dynamic dns configuration.

4. cfs macrumors 6502a

I currently use Team Viewer for at home and at work.

For example, when I leave work, I keep my computer on with the Team Viewer application on as well. I do this so the Team Viewer passcode doesn't change. I can then access my work computer from home. Now I don't have to lug my laptop back and forth. I often update my iweb on weekends and do it remotely.

To save energy I really wish I could find an application with remote turn on but no luck yet. However, I do make sure my settings are such that the screen is put to sleep after a certain amount of time.

Hope this helps.

cfs

5. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

The app I linked to in my first reply, Remoter, sends the "magic" packet to wake a sleeping Mac.

6. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Been using LogMeIn Ignition for about 5-6 months now, totally recommend it. The cost seems higher than others, but it's totally worth it. Configuration is easy, and works like a charm.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I use Remoter as well. Works nicely on my mini, even waking it from sleep. Trackpad and special keys are v. handy. Developer is very responsive. Works for both Windows and OSX clients.

8. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

LogMeIn Ignition is best of the crop. If $30 is too much for you, there are plenty of cheaper options. None of them are as polished or easy as LogMeIn, however, they all have quirks and oddities. I'd definitely recommend LogMeIn, if you spend any significant amount of time in remote sessions whatsoever.

9. brudog68, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

brudog68 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Tried team viewer first and wasn't pleased with the overall look...then tried splashtop and love how my desktop fills the screen but it's apparently difficult to set up for 3G ...

Was trying a few before I jump to logmein ...does logmein wake a sleeping pc?

Is remoter easy to set up for 3G? Does it wake from sleep?

Do they both "fill" the screen without static tool bars etc? I need as much screen real estate as possible. Do they both have audio?

Guess I could go look myself eh? Lol

AND...what is vnc, ssh, rdp, etc etc.?

Thanks in advance

10. slopokdave macrumors member

I think I've tried most of them, which in the end meant I've wasted a lot of money.

I use splashtop at home and logmein when I'm away. Logmein always works when away, compares to some of the others I've tried. No audio though if I recall.

Splashtop is so smooth. Both video and audio. Dev says support to access when away from home wifi should be coming.

11. Ojitos84 macrumors newbie

I agree splash top is the best but the no support if you are outside the network is the biggest flaw

12. slopokdave macrumors member

Is it possible to VPN into your home network so that it can be used?

13. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have always used LogMeIn Ignition. It works on both iPhone and iPad. It is just a one time $30 but way worth it.

14. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Does it wake up a Mac that is connected via WiFi or just Ethernet...? I use LogMeIn and it will only wake up if it is connected via Ethernet but if Remoter will do it over WiFi I might buy Remoter just for that but still use LogMeIn after it is woken up.

15. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

I assume you are asking if it will wake if your home computer is connected via wifi to your home network? I would have to check that for you since my iMac is wired but can easily go wifi if you would like me to test.

16. brudog68 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just tested... Splash top will wake pc when pc is connected via both Ethernet and wifi...FYI

17. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Yes, that's what I meant. I like LogMeIn but it won't wake a Mac from sleep if it is connected via WiFi, only will wake a Mac if it is connected with a wired connection. I'd buy Remoter for $1 if it did this then just use that to wake my Mac then go back to LogMeIn once it is awake.

I can't use Splash Top right now because I always need to connect back when I am not at home.

18. muymal macrumors member

Sorry if this was answered. Does remoter work if mbp and ipad are on different networks?

Thanks

19. cozmot Guest

That's not true about Logmein not waking your Mac up if it wireless. I do it all the time. In your System Preferences, select energy saver, and click on "Wake for network access."

20. d00by macrumors member

Splash top has a free version. Try that.

I have also been on the look out for a remote app. Logmein is too expensive for me.

The only reason I need the remote app is to be able to use farmville and do stuff on my p2p client.

The above 2 things are the only reason I use my desktop physically.

I have 'file browser' to access my desktop files. I am wondering if I should buy splash top or is there a better app in the under 5 dollars category??

21. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have that activated in the System Preferences and in the LogMeIn applications for Mac. From the LogMeIn Ignition Manual:
    I haven't gone to that options tab in the system preferences yet but do have checked wake for network access. I'll give that a try.

22. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I was just going by what people said earlier in this thread.

23. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

Sorry it took so long, but Remoter does not wake on lan if the home machine is connected via wifi, just tested.

24. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Good to know. Thanks for checking it out.