Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
Granted, Logmein has advantages while connecting via 3g...but speaking strictly about the UI...are there any real advantages to Logmein over SPlashtop in that regard?

cozmot

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, DC
I have that activated in the System Preferences and in the LogMeIn applications for Mac. From the LogMeIn Ignition Manual:

I haven't gone to that options tab in the system preferences yet but do have checked wake for network access. I'll give that a try.

You know, until a recent update to LogMeIn Ignition, that was the case about waking up a sleeping computer. But since then I have no problem, even if my Mac has been asleep over a day. It never fails to wake up now.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
You know, until a recent update to LogMeIn Ignition, that was the case about waking up a sleeping computer. But since then I have no problem, even if my Mac has been asleep over a day. It never fails to wake up now.

I do know I am up to date. I'll give it try when I get home. I would try now but I don't want to put my computer to sleep and then not be able to access it later.

OneForGadgets

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
I had picked up "Jump" a few weeks ago and really like it a lot. I have hooked up my MacBook and my parent's home computer up to it. As far as I have been using "Jump" it has woken up my MacBook and have had zero issues with it. I HIGHLY recommend it and will be doing a review on it this coming week.

Definitely check it out.

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
Wake-on-Lan

Bottom line: Wake-on-LAN is an Ethernet (wired) protocol so your target computer must be connected through an Ethernet cable to the router that hosts your Internet connection. The BIOS must be configured to enable WOL, and the operating system must be configured to enable it. The computer may only be able to wake from certain sleep states, not necessarily full power down. Finally, the system should be thoroughly tested before relying on it.

During a recent trip, I needed to access iTunes on my computer back home. Fortunately my spouse was at home and the computer was already running. As soon as I can get the correct length Ethernet cable I will just permanently connect my computer to the router.

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
Wake-on-Lan

Bottom line: Wake-on-LAN is an Ethernet (wired) protocol so your target computer must be connected through an Ethernet cable to the router that hosts your Internet connection. The BIOS must be configured to enable WOL, and the operating system must be configured to enable it. The computer may only be able to wake from certain sleep states, not necessarily full power down. Finally, the system should be thoroughly tested before relying on it.

During a recent trip, I needed to access iTunes on my computer back home. Fortunately my spouse was at home and the computer was already running. As soon as I can get the correct length Ethernet cable I will just permanently connect my computer to the router.

Splashtop wakes my pc connected via wifi...were you referring to logmein or we talkin bout 2 different things?

d00by

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
I got the splash top app as it's on sale because of Easter.

I would have preferred logmein but it's too expensive. Besides i am not going to remotely access my computer using Internet so splash top will do for the time being.

Logmein seems overkill for personal use on local wifi which is what I do.

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
Splashtop wakes my pc connected via wifi...were you referring to logmein or we talkin bout 2 different things?
There is a different "wake-on" protocol for wireless. If your wireless connected computer is waking up then either Splashtop implements it or your wireless router is providing it. Either way, it is interesting! Which computer and router are you using?

gospel9

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Using splashtop lite and the Mac streamer, I was not able to receive audio (which was advertised).

I have jaadu Vnc which works fine but it is very slow compared to splashtop and everyair.

Edit: never I figured it out. Need to install soundFlower.

Last edited:

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
There is a different "wake-on" protocol for wireless. If your wireless connected computer is waking up then either Splashtop implements it or your wireless router is providing it. Either way, it is interesting! Which computer and router are you using?

Hp pavilion dv6(laptop) running win vista home premium, router is linksys wrt160n...2 yr old stuff, nothing cutting edge.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I do know I am up to date. I'll give it try when I get home. I would try now but I don't want to put my computer to sleep and then not be able to access it later.

I just tried it, I put my computer to sleep then went to my iPhone and made sure it wasn't on my home network. Then over AT&T 3G tried to access it, it found the computer but when I tapped the display icon it tried loading then said: "Could not connect. The host computer must be powered on and connected to the Internet."

cozmot

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, DC
I just tried it, I put my computer to sleep then went to my iPhone and made sure it wasn't on my home network. Then over AT&T 3G tried to access it, it found the computer but when I tapped the display icon it tried loading then said: "Could not connect. The host computer must be powered on and connected to the Internet."

You know, I was out of town this weekend and couldn't access my sleeping computer either. I realized why after your latest post. I primarily access my iMac via LogMeIn on my home network, from another room. From some of the other recent posts here, I also didn't realize that wireless uses a different wake up protocol than wired connections.

I'm going to experiment with a wired connection now. I'm going to move my router and DSL modem next to my iMac and hook it up directly to the router. Then I'll let it sleep and see if I can wake it up from my iPhone connected only to 3G. From what I've read here, that should work.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I'm going to experiment with a wired connection now. I'm going to move my router and DSL modem next to my iMac and hook it up directly to the router. Then I'll let it sleep and see if I can wake it up from my iPhone connected only to 3G. From what I've read here, that should work.

Sounds good, it should work but let us know how it goes.

cozmot

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, DC
Sounds good, it should work but let us know how it goes.

Well, so much for my experiment. It didn't work. I read on LogMeIn's forum that you have to have two computers running on your LAN: "Please also confirm that at least one other LogMeIn host on the same LAN is online and available."

So, the solution for most of us is simply to turn off sleep mode (In Settings>Energy Saver) when we're away and need access to our remote computer. That's okay for me, as LogMeIn still has the best features and is fast, IMHO.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
That's what I have been doing since I have been using LogMeIn, I just use Control+Shift+Eject to put the display to sleep.

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
So regardless of our favorites, and the reasons why they are....IS there a remote desktop app that will...

. Work while away from home on someone else's wifi and/or while connected via 3G, without a complicated and unsecure setup

. Wake a sleeping pc or Mac whether it's connected via wifi or Ethernet, without having 2 computers on the network

. And has audio

?

rspec7

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
I have iTeleport for iPhone and have used it to wake up my computer at home that was on wifi. Plus, it works over 3G. Setup is super simple if you don't mind using your google account with it.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I have iTeleport for iPhone and have used it to wake up my computer at home that was on wifi. Plus, it works over 3G. Setup is super simple if you don't mind using your google account with it.

I think I'll check it out. How much does it cost?

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
I started with Logmein Ignition (since I've had an account with them for a few years), and it's by far worth the $30 for the amount of control you have over your computer.

Later I tried Screens, and that's my backup - if I just need quick access, or want more of a touch interface (Ignition uses a standard mouse interface by default.)

Yeah, they both cost more than your average client ($30 Logmein, $20 Screens), but you get what you pay for with them - and, coincidentally enough, with the free and $1-2 VNC clients as well...

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
So regardless of our favorites, and the reasons why they are....IS there a remote desktop app that will...

. Work while away from home on someone else's wifi and/or while connected via 3G, without a complicated and unsecure setup

. Wake a sleeping pc or Mac whether it's connected via wifi or Ethernet, without having 2 computers on the network

. And has audio

?

:

Does logmein do all the above?

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
hey does anyone mind sending me a copy of the latest everyair server? i bought the app a while ago, but the company seems to have beem acquired so i can no longer download the server for windows!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.