Votes: 177 45.0%
  • 17"

Votes: 60 15.3%

• Total voters

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I don't have one yet, but i would get a 13" because of portability and i think that it would be sufficient for general web/school projects which is mainly all i do. my mom's netbook is just too small and 15 inch would simply be too expensive. 2 inches is not worth 500 bucks, imo.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
15"

I have had a 17" laptop n the past, while I love the screen size. The portability of that big of a unit just isn't practical.

I use a PC with dual 26" screen and a 24" Imac. Going all the way down to a 13" is just way to crowded for me.

15" is just a nice compromise, still very portable size-wise, and give me just enough room to so I don't want to break things.

I want them to fit a 17" monitor into a 13" form factor, someday, they will make some kind of expansive screen. :)

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I have used the 13", 15", and now the 17". I am on the go constantly. The 17" is perfect for me. I especially love the HD display that the other two sizes lack. That did it for me. I love the portability - just slip into my backpack and off I go.

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
The 15" one is a good compromise between portability and being able to view enough on the screen, for me. When I use my laptop on the desk at home, I plug it into a 22" external monitor.

iphonematt

Jul 10, 2007
I purchased the 15" because it is the balance between portability and screen size. I use FCS on my machine while on the go, so I needed a larger screen, and dedicated GPU. I have a 24" display at home I use for most of my work though.

Spandexman

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2009
I've only used a 13" day to day, so I have no way to judge what suits me best. I mean, this suits me fine, but i'd like a bigger screen.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
13" for portability. I mostly need it for basic internet browsing and e-mail during the day. Occasionally I use the Macbook for transferring data or network tests when I am on a job site.

At home I have a desktop with a 24" screen for paperwork, gaming and most of my browsing. Though the Macbook is nice for some browsing while watching TV or displaying a recipe while cooking.

Edit: I had a 15" for about a month but found it too bulky to drag around with me all day, carrying around the house and using on a plane.

gfiz

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Virginia
13" suits me perfect, but 1280x800 resolution does not. If I could get 1600x900 or even 1400x900 it would be perfect. I actually may go 17" if the new 13" doesn't carry a better resolution, as I'll forfeit the smaller footprint for more screen real estate. 15" I think is the sad boy pro, master of neither portability or resolution. :eek:

Collider

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
15'' for me.

Had tried a 17'' notebook before, and found it infinitely too big (had to replace it within seven months because I just couldn't get along with the sheer size of it). I would've liked a 13'' for its portability, but I was concerned that it'd be a little too small for constant everyday use. If I ever scrounge up the funds for a secondary laptop, though...

mattyuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Cumbria
Im in a catch 22 really. I want the MBP for Photoshop digital painting, but I would use my Acer 24'' alongside it. Then I would use the MBP for blogging and writing a script/story for my graphic novel Im preparing. You guys think the 13'' woul be okay? But then again, the 15'' makes a good case too. Because if I want to do painting studies around the house, the 13'' would be too small.

Suggestions?

ajriggy

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
13"

reasons:

1) i want my laptop to be small and portable, i have used a friends 17" and its just to big for me to take to classes or take into a small cafe and the like. I mean you can do it it's just a tad more effort. My friend mainly uses his in a manner akin to a desktop only one that you can move round the house.

2) i don't really do much that needs a lot of screen real estate. Mainly word processing essays, rough demo's on garageband, watching a dvd in my room, itunes. 'Spaces' and 'expose' are such a cool way of getting round screen clutter on the 13".

3) The 15" i haven't used, and as i don't have much money i had to settle for the base 2.26 13" MBP. I suspect the 15 is probs the best in terms of fairly high performance and portability.

I am happy with my 13" mbp and i got good educational discount and the old 15% VAT rate in the uk last year, which made it quite a reasonably priced machine (still pretty f'n expensive for me tho, lol). Have to stop myself from looking at the threads laying in to the base model though as i start to wish I could have waited for the refresh. Unfortunately my dissertation year would have been a dumb time to not have a laptop.

:sigh: god-damn technology and its ever changing-ness.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
13" because of portability too. If they could make the footprint of the 13" even smaller without cuts on battery life or keyboard size I really would love it even more. 15" are OK but whenever I sit infront of my girlfriends Laptops I recocnize thats toooooo big for me. I love small powerful MBPs, if I would like to have a big screen I would go with the ACD.

Shamboo your the most future proof laugh here on the board. Thanks for making me smile :)

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
13" purely for portability. I usually have a big external monitor available so the small screen doesn't matter.

Cali3350

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
A 14" with 1600*900 is pretty much perfect for me. For apple it would be the 17". The 13 and 15 just have too low resolutions.

eyekyu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
13" for portability like everyone else. screen size/resolution doesn't really bother me. i dont attach an external monitor, but i take my macbook everywhere. taking a 15 or 17" on an international flight is terrible.