Which Site has the Best Unlocking Service?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by infam0uz, Oct 29, 2015.

1. infam0uz macrumors regular

infam0uz

I have an ATT Iphone6 + that is still in contract, i had one service try to attempt it and they couldnt get it to work, so is there any other website that has a better chance? Just wanted to get this iphone unlocked since im now on an "Unlocked" Tmobile Iphone 6s+ now.

2. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

These services work by having a 'man on the inside' who has access to the ATT systems. They all got busted recently and ones even getting sued. So seems they are mostly out of action for now.

3. jeepik macrumors regular

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Most services are sketchy at best at the moment, as others have already mentioned, because of ongoing litigation. There are several threads complaining against Swiftunlocks.

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Atm I wouldn't trust any unlocking services.

7. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Pay off the phone and AT&T will unlock for free.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Why would you need to unlock the phone if you have another phone you're already using?

9. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Maybe he wants to sell it as unlocked to maximize his available market?

C

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I doubt that former swiftunlocks customers are going to be very happy once AT&T works through the massive amount of unlocks that were run through it's system by the malware swiftunlocks illegally installed on AT&T's network.

AT&T is relocking those phones.

Yay Swiftunlocks! ;)

11. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Really? AT&T can just wirelessly relock a phone once it's already been unlocked? I've never unlocked a phone of mine but had always assumed that each phone had a specific code that once entered, unlocked it forever.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That's what I read, yes. I'll see if I can find where.

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

of course you can do that and I know this. But if people are looking for other unlock services then I wouldn't trust any others.

14. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Most of the people that had them unlocked have sold the phone already. It's the people that bought used phones that will reap the reward of all of a sudden not having their phone work when AT&T relocks them. Add this to list of reasons I would never buy a used phone. There can be enough issues getting new phones.

For those that unlocked to go overseas, maybe they will still work there, not sure. But if you still have your phone, once it's paid for, get it unlocked for free legitimately. It was suspected many times that these pay to unlock services were doing so by fraudulent means.

When will FCC put their foot down and end this locking none sense once and for all with all carriers. This is 2015, I don't buy my television from Comcast, or Dish or AT&T. shouldn't buy my phone from AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, or Sprint either. One of these days we will finally get an all band world phone and not confuse consumers with dozen different models.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Totally agree with you on this.

16. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

I read that as well, in article disclosing the fraud.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Then he can stop payments on it and the sucker of s buyer is stuck with a brick. Point is, there are few legitimate reasons to unlock before paying off device because in most cases carriers will willingly unlock once paid off.

18. HEK, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

The carrier companies are so into mindset to keep customers by force and making it agony to switch. If they had half a brain for marketing, they would realize they would have to beat off customers by simply providing true value for the money consumers spend.

Here is a free example that would vault the carrier that adopts it to the top, and make them loads of money.

Provide a simple all inclusive phone plan, eliminating all discounts, incentives, and other gimmicks. Cut the price by a third to half and stop all add ons, like switching fees, activation fees, phone locking, etc. Offer data plans that expand or contract as consumers use them. I use 2 GB one month, that's what I pay for. Next month I use 20 GB and I pay for that.

If they insist on tiers, then provide me what I pay for. Let's say start at 10GB per month. And if I pay for 10 GB a month I receive what I pay for because any unused portion I paid for rolls over for ever. NO EXPIRATION. I PAID FOR IT, IT SHOULD BELONG TO ME. These monthy rollovers are a form of mini fraud. If I don't use all my next months data, I don't tap into what I already paid for and didn't use last month. And then I still need to use up the rollover from last month or I lose it.

The carrier that adopts this kind of above board, get what you pay for approach would crush the competition.

19. CNeufeld, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015

CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

It doesn't seem unreasonable that AT&T (and other cell service providers) lock the phones until the subsidized portion of the phone is paid off. If that's an issue, the customer is free to pay the subsidized portion out, and then they're free to unlock it. If that's still an issue, don't get a subsidized phone.

C

I can't argue much with that...

C

20. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

I would like to see all subsidy ended. Buy phone from manufacturer and buy service from carrier. Tying the two together has always been a convoluted ponsie scheme to me, to hide true costs and lock people into a carrier. The carrier has a contract, enforceable by legal means.

With that said I do see justification for carrier to lock phones they are owed money on. I would just like it better if there were separation of device from service. Sort of like separation of church and state.

Oh wait we don't really have that either. It really shouldn't say in God we trust on our money. And some years back, it didn't say that, the constitution actually was being followed. Really it should say, " In China loans we trust". But that's a whole other f***'ed up mess.

21. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

But people HAVE the option to not get a subsidized phone, and have for quite awhile. It's their choice not to do so, typically to reduce the up front expenditure. This helps the manufacturer sell more units than they would otherwise sell if everyone had to pay full price, and likely allows them to sell at a higher price, since most people don't bother thinking about the total cost.

Apple is at least making positive moves to your Utopia with their new program. It is good to see.

C

22. HEK, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

LMAO.........my Utopia hahaha. My friend there is a lot more to my Utopia than just phones. ;) ;) :)

I realize it's choices. Just pointing out it's same shill game as pricing something at $1.99 instead of $2. I think it's great Apple is offering zero interest financing. Always realized the $200 iPhone was a big white lie. But also am dismayed at how many people actually believed that is what they paid for the phone.

23. infam0uz thread starter macrumors regular

infam0uz

Giving it to the GF or my mom, they both arent under ATT

24. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

And did you ask AT&T to unlock it?

C

25. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

If you can't get it unlocked with att, try cellunlocker.net