Which size do you own (or want if you don't have yet)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhySoSerious, Oct 23, 2009.

?

Which size did you buy (or plan to buy)?

1. 13"

42.4%
  2. 15"

42.4%
  3. 17"

15.2%
  1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

If you want to post a reason why you chose the screen size you did, feel free. Otherwise, I just want to see what the majority of everyone here purchased (or plan to purchase).

2. Bagot69 macrumors member

I got the 13inch MBP coz its just a small smart portable machine with excellent picture!

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I went with the 15" MBP. The size of the screen was less of the reason, but rather the components. I have a dual GPU model and having a discreet GPU was one of my requirements. Also back in october 08, the MBP screen was better then the 13" MB

All in all, if I had to choose again, I'd probably take the 13" because of its form factor.

4. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I went with the 13" MBP in June. In all honesty, the only reason I went with the 13" over the 15" was the price. I love the 13" and it does everything I need it too, but I would definitely choose the 15" if the funds were there. $400 for 2 more inches is outrageous though.

The 17" is too much and the 13" is just a little too small. The 15" is near perfect for a laptop.

5. Fuchal macrumors 68020

13" MBP. Best Apple laptop I've owned since my 12" PowerBook. And the display is kick ass.

6. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i originally got the 17", but i find that there is no need to spend that much cash on one like that again in the future. i'll go 13" on my next mbp.

7. PCtoMAC? macrumors member

I got a 13'' for me laptops are all about portability and the 13'' is great. I do wish they could have crammed a dedicated graphics card in there but so far its done everything I need it to.

With that said though I think if your doing a lot of work on the computer or using it for your work the 15 would be the way to go. I use a PC at work so the Mac is just for play.

8. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

The 13 inch. Mainly for portability.

I just wish it could have the same specs as the high-end 15 inch... :p

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

15" MBP. I bought it because it was in a clearance sale with over £600 off the list price.

10. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I like the 15" if I'm doing development and target 1280x800 as the lowest common denominator a 15" allows me to view the full page/screen plus all the tools at the same time.

11. 05slvrscape macrumors member

I had the 15" pre Unibody and recently upgraded to the 17" unibody glossy. For photography and graphic work I love the larger resolution.

12. findwaldonow macrumors member

I got the 15" because a 17" laptop looks completely laughable to me. I know I'm not alone here. I see people pull them out of a backpack and it looks like a magic trick. I understand the appeal for graphic artists maybe but I think it's such a niche thing to need so much power and resolution and then need it to be "kinda portable" to the point where a desktop is out of the question. That being said I wish I could get everything I need or might need into a 13" but I can't so I ended up in the middle and am very happy with it.

13. Anton-Anton macrumors newbie

Have a 15" mbp. but %/(#)/€#)" i hate apple for making the unibody's with glossy.
    i really want a 13" MAT unibody.

14. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

+1

haha yeah my feelings exactly. A 13 inch matte MBP would be the ideal machine

But anyway I got the 13 inch because I really like small computers. I had a netbook before I got this one for the same reason. Portability is part of it but I also think it is really cool to have so much power in such a small package:D

15. Spudracer macrumors 6502

I bought a 17" MBP about a month ago. My goal was couch & bed editing of still photos and videos. No regrets. In fact, I'm really glad I didn't choose the 15". The size of the 17" is only apparent in the showroom when you have the two next to each other. At home it doesn't seem huge at all. The one place it definitely doesn't fit is a tray table on a coach airline seat.

16. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I'll be getting a 13" in two years. :D

I wonder what they'll be like by then. Matte option hopefully. 10-12 hour battery life perhaps. OSX 10.7.6?

And some cup holders.

17. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

I got a 15" because I thought the monitor on the 13" was too small to be used as my main computer. My cousin has a 13" so I got to use it for awhile in order to make my decision. The 13" is more portable though so if that's your priority then it will probably be a better choice for you.

For me the 15" was a good compromise between portability and screen size. If I need a bigger screen then I just connect it to an external monitor but I'm not always at my desktop so a portable relatively big monitor was something I wanted.

18. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

19. trismeplz macrumors newbie

Been using 15" for a long long time and recently switched to the 17", never been happier, the 1900 x 1200 screen is really a joy to use!

20. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

i bought 15" 2.66 ghz.
    i use laptop as primary computer on my desktop with 24" lcd combo so 13 was too small for since i don't use it a lon on the road... 17 was too big. and too expensive also. i am in love with my mac anyway. windows no more for me

21. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

22. tbbaot macrumors newbie

Got the 13

After spending years lugging around big screen heavy laptops, I realized small and lightweight is better. If you want a giant screen, go with a desktop

23. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

The 15" is the perfect balance between compactness and portability and screen size.