Resolved Which Size For School?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by andrew5494, Apr 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. andrew5494 macrumors member

andrew5494

Hi I previously owned an iPad air 2 for a week until it got ran over by a car long story...
    Anyway I want to buy an new iPad pro but can't decide which size.
    I need to view all of my pdf textbooks and take notes with notablity. Also for Google docs and accessing websites easily.
    Thanks.

2. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

If you'll be doing those things at the same time the 12.9" is best - that's what I've got and I frequently take notes from my textbooks in split screen. And in class I turn the iPad portrait and take notes that way - plenty of space.

3. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

I have an iPad Air 2 and a 12.9" iPad Pro. I definitely recommend getting the 12.9" if you are going to be taking notes on it. The Apple Pencil on the larger screen is amazing. I also love the Smart Keyboard for the iPad Pro for typing essays. I don't really like the Google docs app for iPad but I absolutely love using notability with the keyboard and pencil. The larger size also really helps for multi tasking. I rarely even reach for my rMBP anymore.

4. andrew5494 thread starter macrumors member

andrew5494

Thanks!
    iPad Pro 12.9 it is!

5. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

It's basically the size of a full piece of paper, which means in 50% split screen you still have enough space to write :)

6. andrew5494 thread starter macrumors member

andrew5494

Thanks!
    I know I hate google docs too but its what schools use unfortunately where I live and google classroom works good with it.
    Apple still has to step up their game in the classroom.

7. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

I agree. I hope that iOS 10 will improve the functionality of the iPad Pro and all that it has to offer. Try to find some deals online for used iPads. I bought mine from eBay used for $715. It is a 128 gb wifi only model and it came with AppleCare+ and a Logitech keyboard.

8. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Yes, for exactly that usage scenario, taking notes while reading, I agree the 12.9" is better. But otherwise, the 9.7" should be sufficient, and better for reading and taking notes due to the lighter weight.

9. gobikerider macrumors 65816

gobikerider

Lucky I wish my iPad Air 2 would get run over. JK but I definitely would recommend the 12.9 inch just because my use is identical to yours as I'm a student and having that big display will make taking notes so pleasant especially if you have to read a book in split view and note things. The extra ram 4gb vs 2gb will make web browsing a dream, you could actually keep 10+ tabs open throughout the day. And the extra processor power will keep everything running flawlessly for 4-5 years. Definitely worth the price in my opinion.