Which SLR camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ThemacNub, Aug 29, 2010.

1. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Looking to get a new digital camera and want to move up to an SLR. My budget is around 400-500. Suggestions and links welcome!

2. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Rebel. Get the XS. It will get your feet wet.

3. ThemacNub thread starter macrumors regular

4. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I suggest the Pentax k-x, imo it's the best value and best featured entry level dSLR currently available.

It has in-body sensor based stabilisation so any lens you attach will become stabalised - that'll save you money in the long run
    (compared to Canon and Nikon who put the stabilisation in the lens, which increases the cost).

It also means you can pick up some old (but good) Pentax primes and still have the advantage of stabilisation - it's compatible with K mount lenses right back to 1975.

5. bsamcash macrumors regular

Second the Pentax K-x. Not a system you'll likely regret investing in. Best primes in the industry.

6. jgrowl macrumors newbie

All the DSLRs in that price range will take excellent shots, so I would suggest looking into the ergonomics of the camera.

I would head to a local store that carries all the major manufacturers and physically try each model in you hand. You will be surprised how different they can feel. Build quality can also be quickly judged. This should help take your decision to just a couple of models.

As well, ask about the warranty. They vary quite a bit between the manufacturer and the country.

7. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

OP:

Do you have any experience with any of the players in the SLR market? Have you shot with an (D) or SLR before?

As jgrowl pointed out, your best option no matter what, is to head to your local photography store, and get a feel for each brand of cameras' in your own hands. Ergonomically speaking, I lean towards Canon & Nikon. Sony, Pentax, & Olympus are not comfy in my hands. However, by going to a store, you will be able to make that assessment yourself. Just keep in mind, usually when you start with a Body, you are buying into a System.

Is your budget of $400-$500, the most you are willing/ have available to spend? Besides buying a body, your going to need some sort of lens to start with, even if its just the kit lens, plus a Memory Card, probably a case, and if your knowledge needs a refresher, then a book on understanding photography/ composition.

Though the TheReef pointed out In-Body Stabilization, don't let that be a selling point for you. There are Pro's & Con's to the IBS systems. But for now, you need to find a body that fits you, and works within your total budget. Once you have found a body, then you can start looking at features. One thing to keep in mind, is DO NOT, & I REPEAT, DO NOT, get caught up in the Megapixel Hype. Pixels are not everything.

Also besides buying New, you could also buy used from other Photographers', on sites like Fredmiranda.com, Photo On The Net, Nikonians, & a couple of others. I advocate buying used, because you have the power to stretch your $$$'s as far a possible, and still get very good condition gear for a great price. (All my shooting gear, has been bought used from other Shooters, either on FM or POTN :D)

8. Salacion macrumors 6502a

I recommend this camera, body only. http://thurly.net/ydi
    With this lens. http://thurly.net/ydj

That's about $1000 on a camera that'll give you amazing picture quality.

If you don't care about learning and becoming serious, then just go with base SLRs, but I guarantee you, you won't be as happy. If you're a person who takes picture for art and not just for memories, then again, go for the cheap SLRs. If you care, well, here's a couple things:

I've used Canon and Nikon for several years. I recently switched to Sony; I will never go back.

Lenses are essential. Get the RIGHT ones. Avoid zoom lenses, I know you want diversity, but trust me, image quality of fixed lenses is far superior. Look for lenses with a low F-stop, between 1.4 and 2.8. If you don't know about aperture, read up on it.

9. HBOC macrumors 68020

go used if you can. I have seen 40Ds going for about $500ish. IMO, the XS is too watered down. You can get a much better camera for the same price, if you are willing to go used, which I always do. No point in taking a depreciation hit if you are going to upgrade within the next 6-8 months.

Also check out dedicated photography websites, such as Fredmiranda.com and search their forums. I am sure you will get more people saying to go used with a better camera than a base model new one.

10. Salacion macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't buy used, but this is just me.

11. HBOC macrumors 68020

^

That's ok too. I just like to limit the hit I take on depreciation as much as I can. The 7D has dropped almost 50% in value in less than a year. I also tend to go through gear quite a bit, as I have been upgrading lately.

12. Matty-p macrumors regular

13. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

@ HBOC - I am also tempted to buy used. As you have mentioned:

Who do you buy used from ??

As jgrowl mentions:
    What kind of warranty would I get buying used ??

Do you think used equip. is also for me ?? For the prices, it is very tempting! The problem may be in that I tend to keep my gear a tad too long with me. For example, I bought new a nikon D50 four years ago, and I still have it. Had I buy it used, perhaps the camera wouldn't work anymore. Rumors has it that a lot of the gear has a way low(er) price, it is because it has been under severe (ab)use of many working professionals. How is it that you have trusted yourself to buy used, how do you understand risk in this sense ?? Within a year, I'll be needing a dSLR with good video capabillity !!!

@ ThemacNub - At the end of September is Photokina in Germany. A number of new models will be announced. This may be good for you, either if you buy used or new. When new models are introduced, some of the other models drop down in price.

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav.

14. HBOC macrumors 68020

I have been buying and selling on fredmiranda.com for 5-6 years now, NEVER EVER had a problem. I buy from there FIRST. Rarer items I buy from eBay or locally. I had to buy my 1Ds on eBay as they are kind of rare now, as I did my Zuiko 24mm f/2. I won that on eBay for $202, and they are selling on keh.com for $655!

I don't think twice about buying used anymore. Lenses and bodies are a much better value when bought used. And alot of people on FM are either professionals or experienced hobbyists. Check out the B&S forum. Really active forums.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Buy Olympus - great value and glass for the money...

16. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

Buy Pentax - great value and glass for the money...

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

... if you want Lime Green:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/K-x_Green/

Or if your kids play Soccer (also known as "Football" in lesser parts of the world) then:

Soccer Moms = Canon
    Soccer Dads = Nikon (but they tend to spend of minimum of $5,000 for setup).

LOL....

18. ThemacNub thread starter macrumors regular

hey all. Rounded up a little more money and have decided I want a canon; 450d or 500d.

However on my australian eBay there is a $100 price difference between the Kiss T1i X3 version and the normal 500d. What is the difference?

19. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

@ HBOC - Yes, I saw yesterday some sweet deals on fredmiranda.com

Two fast lenses, at least f/2.8. I like them a lot. But again, I just had second thoughts about them. If any of them may need to be serviced anytime soon, the deal price is gone, because of the extra price to be paid on the service. Am I being too paranoic ??

Kind regards,

igmolinav.

20. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Origin of the word "soccer".... Surprise; the word comes from England. ;)

21. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Me for one, I am glad I learned on this XS. I started my studio with it even. It's a very capable starter dslr. From learning on it for a few months it will make you want something full frame later. So learn on the cheap and then buy yourself a full frame next year and have the XS or XSi or whatever as your backup. I have a 24-70L on the XS and it takes some pretty amazing pictures. Get it to learn, and get it to eventually upgrade.

After you get your feet wet, I would suggest a full frame camera body if you really start liking dslr photo work. Most do. The XS is not too watered down in my opinion and has a better image sensor than the XSi. It's a few hundred well spent and the kit lens will be a good set of training wheels. Get the XS and the nifty fifty 50mm lens for around a hundred bucks and you will have a capable setup.

Then get used to it, and get a full frame later on.

22. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

LOL - I would assume most English words come from England... ;)

OP - make sure you get IS lenses - they're great for low-light!

23. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Way to understand exactly what I meant! :rolleyes:

24. HBOC macrumors 68020

I am baffled that a full frame camera is being thrown around. I would suggest getting good glass (a lot of glass cost more than a camera body) and using a crop sensor to learn on.

Someone said an XS has a better sensor than an XSi. Uh, yeah. The XSi has one of the best sensors in any Rebel made. If you know where I can get an XS with a 50mm 1,8 for $100, please let me know. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

25. HBOC macrumors 68020

You are probably being too careful. People are paying $1200 for an old FULL MANUAL Olympus Zuiko 18mm 3.5. I just paid $200 for a Zuiko 24mm 2.0. There is one on keh.com currently for $650. I got lucky..super lucky.