Which sort of laptops last longest?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Inspired, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Inspired macrumors regular

Inspired

Sorry fi this is the wrong thread, I just bought an HP desktop computer and it's working well for me my previous PC's and Laptops were all HP and I have never had any problems with them. Now I am shopping for a laptop so that I may carry my work with me on the go.

I am deciding which laptop I should try to get, a Macbook Pro 17inch or another HP Laptop.

The reason why I would go for an HP laptop is because i know it's durable(in my experience at least), I never had to buy insurance for it.

The reason why I would buy a Macbook pro 17inch is because I dont want to use vista anymore, and people say MAC OS X is a better operating system.

The reason why I wouldn't buy a HP laptop is because I dont like Vista

The reason why I wouldn't buy a Macbook is because I dont want to buy applecare.

So I was wondering if there is any statistics on which sort of computer(macs or pcs) have hardware failures the most?

And which would YOU buy if you were in my situation? Looking for honest answers according to YOUR experience, no bias answers from fanboys of either products please :D

Thanks for reading, I truly appreciate your response

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

what's your budget? what do you use your computer for? how do you use your laptop (is it at home all day, do you take it on road trips)?

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Honestly, in my opinion, based on what you have written, your history and experience... get the HP laptop and load Windows 7

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And you don't have to do so.

Apple laptops are very durable and quite reliable. In the event of a hardware failure, you're covered in most cases (not accidental damage).

5. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

they're all made in china, uses intel cpu... i bought macbook cause it's nice to look at :)

6. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

hmmm...still not quite convinced, does anyone know of any statistic online that shows which laptops is most durable?

7. qpid macrumors regular

Nope because companies would not release that for compariso reasons. However Apple is consistently rated highly for customer service, so if you do have a problem they should take care of it for you.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Lenovo's are powerhouses I find. If you're afraid of Apple not being up to par, definitely go for those.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

How about an answer from a retired IT professional who is/was certified by Microsoft ????

HP Notebooks??? You cannot buy a decent HP notebook from a retailer. I used to carry an HP OMNIBOOK for work, These were good HP notebooks but were never sold in consumer retail stores.

HP's current consumer notebooks are, for the most part junk. I know, I owned one with VISTA for a day. The fit and finish of the case was horrible, and we checked several - they were ALL bad.

Why not buy Apple Care? I buy it for all my Apple Computers. When I go to sell them, I get more money for them because the Apple Care is there.

When I retired from IT and was no longer able to buy OMNIBOOKS I went looking for a new computer. I went into a COMPUSA and the saleperson showed me EVERY laptop they carried. My god was I spoiled by HP's excellent OMNIBOOK line or what. All I saw at that store was JUNK. Then the guy says .... Wait, I can get someone to show you something else. So this other guy comes over and puts a notebook in my hand, it felt perfect. Excellent fit and finish. It was Apple G4 Powerbook.

From that day on I was hooked. Apple made the best notebook the average consumer could buy.

LET'S BE HONEST .....

Are you really going to be influenced by anything anyone here says??
    In case you think I am a fanboy and doubt my Microsoft background I have enclosed a copy of my MS credential. Note that I have obliterated any positive ID info but left enough of my last name so that you can tell by my used ID here ( harcosparky ) and the name ( SPAR ) that it's me.

Yes the MS cert if from 2000, prior to screwing with MS, I worked on Novell systems.

[​IMG]

11. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Almost forgot about these .... the old IBM Thinkpad's if I am not mistaken.

If you don't go Apple ... go with this .... it's the closest thing to a Windows Professional Notebook that I know of.

Damn, I really liked those HP Omnibooks! :lol:

12. Pommy macrumors member

Thinkpaaaaads are built like tanks. +1 for them.

HP's business line isn't bad either (I really hate their consumer line though for almost every reason imaginable) ... you can order direct from HP online if you so wish.

Or if you really really care about durability, get a Toughbook (haha).

13. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, I've decided to go for a MacBook pRO, WITHOUT APPLECARE THOUGH, i WILL trust APPLE'S QUALITY and see how this experience go and will use this experience to decide on future apple purchases. Thank YOU, really the comments has helped.

14. cababah macrumors 68000

They have a good record but keep in mind that no computer or company is perfect and there is a chance that you may have a problem or something defective, it just happens with consumer electronics. Why not just be on the safe side for peace of mind?

15. Joruus macrumors member

Bought a iBook G4 12" and a PowerBook G4 12" some years back, only had to replace the Batteries. They are both still in use :) (after 5-6 Years now)

edit: I for sure would have replaced them long ago when they would have shown any sign of Damage. But there is nothing broken so far. Except the Batteries of course.. Oh and the Charger for the iBook died, classical Cable failure.

16. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i feel a certification scanning contest coming on!!!

17. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

wow...

18. Joruus macrumors member

Got of course a Real Mac too (C2D iMac:p)

19. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

Stay with HP and post on a PC forum seems to be the way to go.

20. 173080 macrumors 6502

Getting a Mac notebook without AppleCare is very risky.

On my PowerBook G4 I had AppleCare replace: Two logic boards, two displays, top case, optical drive, two batteries and two power adapters. At least AppleCare kept it running for three years. On the fourth year the logic board fried, again, and now Apple wants $900 to replace it out-of-warranty. Think what would have happened if I didn't have AppleCare:

Logic boards: $900 x2
    Displays: ~$900 x2
    Top Case: ~$250
    Optical drive: ~$100
    Batteries: $120 x2
    Power Adapters: $70 x2

I would have been ~$4330 out of pocket in out-of-warranty repairs for a $3000 notebook at Apple prices. AppleCare is only $349, and you can get it for $300 on Amazon.

I've had my Macbook Pro for one year and I've already had the display, power adapter + battery, and top case (keyboard + trackpad) replaced.

You're just asking for a very expensive lesson.

21. Dexter v House macrumors member

Don't trust anybody's quality :cool:
    You can delay your decision to buy applecare before the year's up, then decide whether it'll be worth it for you. Some machines are more trouble-some than others, it's the luck of the draw. Some people have had good experiences buying applecare from ebay sellers for less than half price. I have NO personal experience of this but it's worth looking into. There was a thread on here a while back.

17"MBP is a great choice - I went through the same buying process as you and made my decision.

22. Philflow macrumors 65816

23. UrFatMom macrumors regular

My Thinkpad r52 that I've been using for 5 years is like new. Even the battery still works great (1:30 hours for a 5years old battery is pretty good to me).

My girlfriend's macbook is broken from everywhere and she takes care of it more then I do with mine.

Anyone who says macbook's are built strong are out of their minds. I would recommend getting applecare for sure.

24. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

ha, i like how people say that a glass covered laptop is durable. And where 1 dent= replacing the whole body