Which Sport Model more versatile?

Space Gray Sport or Silver with Blue band?

• Total voters

Nightrich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Tennessee
I am just about to order an Watch Sport and was nearly decided on the Space Gray but I got to looking at some of the third party bands and I really saw that the Silver Aluminum seemed at least to be more versatile style wise. For example with a stainless steel link band or a leather band. I need something I can also wear to the office so is a Space Gray still "suit worthy" or is it perhaps in my best interest to get the silver to have more options?

Not asking for you guys to decide for me just wanted an opinion. Thanks guys!

By the way. I will be ordering the 38mm. It looked much better on my wrist.

urda

Suspended
Jun 15, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area
None, you shouldn't be pairing non-sport bands with an Apple Watch Sport. It looks like a mixed bag of metal and colors, giving off the vibe that you are just piecemeal everything together as you go.

If you want the MOST verstatile options, you need to get a Stainless Steel body Apple Watch. All the major bands will mix with it and look great.

Remember, it's alright to have the higher end body mixed with lower end bands. It will not look good if you mix the lower end body with higher end bands.

Nightrich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Tennessee
Thanks everyone for your advice. I just ordered a SG Sport 38mm. I am an UI designer and I am in the process of making two apps for the Apple Watch and feel this was a decent entry point that still looked good. Now comes the waiting! We will see if it actually comes sooner than its estimated date now that supply has supposedly picked up. Thanks again guys.

bulbousnub

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
The silver has way more options in terms of bands, etc, and it could have a very "classic" look to it. I think the space gray model is much more contemporary and will work for anyone who fancies a darker colored watch. I personally love mine because it's much more discreet than say the silver sport.

Nightrich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Tennessee
The silver has way more options in terms of bands, etc, and it could have a very "classic" look to it. I think the space gray model is much more contemporary and will work for anyone who fancies a darker colored watch. I personally love mine because it's much more discreet than say the silver sport.
Discreet is definitely the reason I ended up going with it over the silver. I think I may end up going with a black leather band with it possibly third party.
With Mixyourwatch.com I was able to see it with the Apple Classic buckle and I actually like it minus the steel.

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
Discreet is definitely the reason I ended up going with it over the silver. I think I may end up going with a black leather band with it possibly third party.
With Mixyourwatch.com I was able to see it with the Apple Classic buckle and I actually like it minus the steel.
There are plenty of cheap leather bands on the market. And the space gray adapters are starting to arrive as well.

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
I haven't personally received anything yet, but head over to the accessories forum. There are some threads regarding the space gray Apple Watch as well as knock-off bands that people are testing out. Lots of links to be found.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
I disagree. I think my Space Gray with Black Sport Band works both casually and more formally. You don't even need another band though the black leather loop looks nice too.
It's just a matter of personal taste.
Politicians like to wear Timex with their tailored $10000 suits too so it really doesn't matter.

Reactions: Arran

kirkhuffy

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Philadelphia
None, you shouldn't be pairing non-sport bands with an Apple Watch Sport. It looks like a mixed bag of metal and colors, giving off the vibe that you are just piecemeal everything together as you go.

If you want the MOST verstatile options, you need to get a Stainless Steel body Apple Watch. All the major bands will mix with it and look great.

Remember, it's alright to have the higher end body mixed with lower end bands. It will not look good if you mix the lower end body with higher end bands.
That's funny cause the black leather loop on my SGS looks great... Certainly the compliments I get on it must be wrong?

Nightrich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Tennessee
UPS just dropped off a little package...... I debated making an unboxing video but thought wait. There are already tons of those. I still might. I will at least post some pictures later.

Mojopin

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2011
In terms of holding up best to scratches I'd say silver aluminum def better. I have had both versions and stuck with the Silver after seeing damage people had on the SG casing that was noticeable as it scratched to a lighter color underneath. SG does look nice comboed with many bands but the fact that silver hides scratches much better was more important for me.

Also I like how the Silver casing "pops" with the black bands vs being seamless on the SG.

Reactions: SuperDave313