which SSD for macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by modular, Apr 29, 2009.

1. modular macrumors regular

I'm looking to get a 128gb SSD for my upcoming mbp 15". I'm wondering, are the 128 ssd that apple had a good deal / quality drive, or would it be better to get a ssd or newegg or something?

thanks!

2. John89 macrumors regular

Buy it separately and fit it yourself. You will save yourself a lot of money :D

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Vertex from OCZ

250 max read
    150 max write

low watt consumption and is comparable to Intel's drives.

4. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

Nothing is comparable to Intel's SSD drives. The Vertex drives are close in one aspect of their performance, but fall short in an all around comparison.

Intel. They just saw a nice price cut too.

5. modular thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the tips so far, ive done some quick reseach and here are the options that i can afford ($400 is pushing it for me).

apple's BTO 128GB SSD - $300
    OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD - $425
    Intel X25-M 80GB - $325

what is the difference between these 3 drives?? any insights would be great. thanks!

BTW I also plan to install a 500GB in place of the superdrive for my music, photo and video files. the SSD will be for the OS and apps (mainly CS4 and final cut studio).

6. magamo macrumors 6502

Any decent SSD is way faster than the fastest HDD, so in my opinion you don't have to worry much about the difference in performance as long as you steer clear of the wrong one.

X25-M is the fasted among the three for most of normal tasks. Vertex is also a good SSD and is said to be faster than apple's BTO SSD. I heard some people say apple's BTO SSD were not that bad, so it shouldn't be slow.

For OS and apps, Intel's SSD are the best because of their high random read/write speed and IOPS. But I'm not sure if it's worth the price because the other SSD are also fast.

BTW, I'm typing this on MBP with X25-M and very happy with its speed.

7. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

Read this: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531 and you will know more about the different SSDs and how they work the most of the people you are asking questions of here. :)

8. magamo macrumors 6502

I also recommend you read the article BryanHarig mentioned. Some info in the article is old, so if you want to know more about newer firmware of those SSD, read here.

9. modular thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for that link! here is a good quote from the article:

"The Intel drive is still the best, but it comes at a high cost. The Vertex can give you a similar experience, definitely one superior to even the fastest hard drives, but at a lower price."

I'm thinking i'm probably going to go with 80gb intel since it only cost $25 more than apple's BTO upgrade option. i'll have the 500gb for my files. 80gb should be enough for my apps.