Which SSD, Intel 510 or Vertex 3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grayh0und, Mar 14, 2011.

1. grayh0und macrumors newbie

Hey, I just got my new MBP, and want to put an ssd in it. However, I am not sure which to get. The 120GB Intel 510, or the 120GB Vertex 3? The small price difference isn't a problem. Thanks!

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I'll go ahead and vote for the vertex 3 even though I don't know too much about it. - why not make a poll?

3. ozred macrumors 6502

I've installed two 240 GB Vertex 3's. One in my 2011, MBP & the other in my 2011 ThinkPad T series. I got them when first released and have lots of time on each. I'm very happy. Especially since I've been using various Intels, Samsungs, etc over the last few years. Also OCZ has the fastest & best support of any.

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

they haven't been released yet?

5. grayh0und thread starter macrumors newbie

...how? can't find it in the additional options on the original post :confused:

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Flux capacitor? Cable from the clock tower and a bolt of lightning?

Likewise, thought the release date was the 21'st or the 27th of this month.

7. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Vertex 3 appears to be a bit better and cheaper then the 500 series if reviews are to be believed.

8. mac jones macrumors 68040

the Intel 510 does NOT work in many of these new machines. And I wouldn't wait around for a fix.

For all anyone knows, they will all have problems with these new macbooks negotiating the new fast SATA 3.

The drive I have (the 510), is working in external encolusres, so it's not the drive.

I would seriously wait for the Vertex, and have other guinea pigs beta test it for you :D

9. brentsg macrumors 68040

I wouldn't wait either, but honestly.. it's an Intel SSD to an Intel chipset. I'm sure it gets worked out.

10. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Neither. One has lackluster performance (but reliable) and the other is from a shady company that'll probably screw you over some day. If you are going to beta test for a company make sure it's a company that can keep it's word.

Just wait for new drives from OWC.

11. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

Or Corsair. But yeah, I think you're spot on.

12. cxc macrumors member

Why shady? What is OWCs contribution? Do they add firmware to existing products from other vendors?

Thank you, Vince

13. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

If you're referring to OCZ, I would hardly call them shady. They've been nothing but great in my 6+ years dealing with them (RAM, Power Supplies, now SSDs etc etc).

14. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

During OCZ's transition from 34nm flash chips to 25nm, they suffered low lifespan, reduction in capacity, and lower performance due to not utilizing all the channels on the SSD drive. These wasn't the biggest issues. What was however was that they had replaced the existing Vertex 2 line with these without changing the model number, packaging, or name. They gave the consumer NO notice to the switch.

When enthusiasts ran their RAID 0 setups with two Vertex 2 drives of each flavor, they found a nice surprise by OCZ. Instead of OCZ apologizing once this was found, they held out. After weeks of bitching by the consumers OCZ finally gave an exchange program where you had to pay more to get the drives you paid for.

Not sure if they exchange for free or not but their behavior was unacceptable.

15. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

While I'm definitely not apologizing for OCZ (was definitely not impressed with their handling of the 25nm issue). Wouldn't really hold that against OCZ to much, every company on the market has done something equally shady, if not worse.

16. Aegis90 macrumors newbie

Actually it isn't. The intel 510s are using Marvell controllers inside this time

17. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yup, Intel is really a no show this time around.

18. brentsg macrumors 68040

I did not say that it's an Intel controller and an Intel chipset.

I said it's an Intel SSD and an Intel chipset. This is true.

They have to make this work.

19. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

Pics or it Didn't happen :cool:

20. chris y. macrumors regular

I installed the 510 last week in a 2.2 quad 15in MBP and its been working great. No complaints here...apps load within one bounce and doing a cold boot is around 12 seconds.

21. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    I'm also a regular visitor over at ocz site- the forums is great and ppl there a mix of enthusiasts, nerds, geeks, official staff and a few ssd pundits-

I'm trying to find out if any of the beta testers over at ocz have tested the vertex 3 in MacBook pro utilising the sata 3 port
    He'll I'd offer to do it to get my hands on a free 240gb vertex 3- lol

If I hear anything - will post here

22. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

23. RedDiamond macrumors newbie

Neither.

If you are still within your 14 day return period, exhcange it. Get a 128GB Apple stock BTO SSD for only $100 (depending on which MBP you got).
    You will end up with the same size SSD, a slightly slower drive (to most imperceptible) with no problems that the others have - no compatibility, longevity, hibernation problems - plus you will have OS TRIM support.
    All for less than half the price. :)