Which SSD Is Better?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iThink Apple, Mar 30, 2012.

?

Which One Would You Recommend?

1. Crucial 512 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT512M4SSD2

25 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. Samsung 830-Series MZ-7PC512B/WW 512GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch MZ-7PC512B

21 vote(s)
    45.7%
  1. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The Samsung is definitely better. It is faster and sucks less idle power.
    If it is worth the price difference is up to you to decide.
    Check out benchmarks.

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

You should search first... Link

I have an M4 and it was amazingly easy to install. No windows required for firmware updates, Crucial makes everything easy for Mac users. The two drives you linked use slightly different housekeeping technology. The samsung uses TRIM whereas the Crucial uses a proprietary "cleaning tool" to tidy up those memory sectors. I've been running a 128g M4 for about a year without incident.

3. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Will they come down in price in the next few months?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would say it is a toss up between the two as far as speed and reliability. I would give the edge to the Crucial simply because you can update firmware on a Mac. With the Crucial price also being lower that makes it an easy decision IMO.

----------

I'm not sure what you mean by the Samsung using "TRIM". TRIM is run by the OS and not the drive. Samsung uses firmware based garbage collection just like the M4, albeit with a different brand controller.

5. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

I've heard a lot of people are saying that The Samsung is faster and better.....

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Read the test results here. They are pretty close in speed. Honestly, all these 6G SSDs are fast and in real world usage you will not be able to tell the difference between them.

The Samsung and M4 both have good reputations here in the forums as far as reliability and compatibility. You won't go wrong with either one.

7. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

Given the speeds are so close in real world performance. Crucial has the edge with price & firmware.

8. AppChat macrumors regular

ge tht eintel 520 series.

honestly either one u get will be fast.

ur crazy though for spending half a grand for memory though

9. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Only if a half a grand will be a financial difficulty for him. It would be for me :(

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

I have both of these models in a number of sizes.

I had a 512GB M4 go bad on me, but they are very good about replacements, so your good.

But i really like the 60gb to 64gb variants as boot drives. These are cheap and I can use Lacie thunderbolt drives for volume, as they are faster than my internal drives.

The thing is, at around 60GB it seems you have to be careful as these vary.
    So be very careful and check the specs. At 64GB I only use Samsung.

Also, I bought one M4 512GB for around $500 US. The Samsung variant will run you much more, so at this size the M4 wins.

11. chilly7 macrumors member

12. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I personally don't mind OCZ - I own a Vertex 3 and had/have zero problems. Others would recommend against them. Some of there reasons are accurate.

13. AppChat macrumors regular

then buy a 120gb one

14. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Money is not the problem. I've been saving for a few years. I just want the best one!

15. chilly7 macrumors member

thank u

p.s
    If anybody knows let me know!
    Vortex is more expansive about 35 % more then Agility but spec wise Vortex is a little fester write 450MB/s vs 410MB/s, read 530MB/s vs 525MB/s but other specs it seems they are indentical. So i don't know the difference and i did the googling over the iternet and i did not find the answer either

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've been using a variety of high end SSD's in my Windows & Mac laptops over a two year period. Thus far the one I like best is my 512GB Samsung 830. Yet it's so new that it's too early to comment on long term performance.

Previously my Vertex 3 was quite good, as was the Intel that preceeded it. As long as you choose one of the top rated drives you should be OK.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Best is a relative term. IMO for Macs, the Crucial M4 is my top personal pick. This is because the ratings on the M4 are as good as any SSD on the market and Crucial as a company delivers when a firmware update is required. History has shown that other companies have dragged their feet (and even denied a problem exists) where as Crucial knew a problem existed and in a matter of weeks fixed it outright. Quality-wise, my Crucials kick ass. If you do not plan to run TRIM, the Crucial M4 may actually be the best pick of the SSDs due to its controller. And Crucial also gives excellent support for us Mac people. I cannot say enough good things about them as a company, and the thousands of other Crucial SSD owners say the same thing (heck, look at the reviews in the link!).

Now, the Samsung 830? Also, absolutely, positively spectacular. Samsung doesn't get enough credit when we all talk SSDs. They have proven with the 470 and others that they get the job done, are extremely reliable, and run at the speeds they promise. Their customer service is also very well-rated. The reliability record of the 470 is as good as any and so there is no reason to not expect the same upstanding reliability record with the 830.

Actual speed differences between the two? In real life usage, both are going to be fast with all types of data. The M4 often looks poorer on paper than it is, and many tests show the older firmware revisions which had lower speeds. The actual world performance of my M4s are as good as anything else I have or better.

So which one is better? No one is going to be able to tell you that. I would say see if you can get one much cheaper than the other, as this really is a win-win. If you are going for a Mac without using TRIM, I would read up on the Marvell controller used in the Crucial as it seems that the Marvell controlled SSDs give the best overall performance in non-TRIM-enabled OS environments. Again, I would read up on it to make your own decision as some conflicting info exists. Either one will provide some of the best performance hands down with amazing reliability. The feedback on them shows just how well-made they are and you really can't go wrong.

18. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I have a Samsung 470 in my MBP and an 830 in a desktop system (hackintosh). Both drives have performed flawlessly and I do not hesitate to recommend them.

19. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

So Samsung SSD have TRIM while Crucial doesn't......What is TRIM?

20. Ves macrumors member

Ves

21. AppChat macrumors regular

u shouldnt even bother with an SSd than

22. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I've got the 512 gig Crucial M4 in my MBP. No experience with the Samsung part, but upgrading from spinning media to an SSD had a dramatic effect on my system. Either one will make you smile.

23. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Can't wait!!

24. afgarza macrumors newbie

Hello..
    One question!!
    do you think that the: Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Solid State Hybrid Drive
    is a good option to replace my HD on my mbp 13"???
    or is better to buy a real SSD?? (wich is gonna be more expensive :( )