Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyoko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
South California
Thank you always everyone!

To those who are reading my post for the first time, please let me introduce myself. I am a Tokyoite who is planning on visiting South California (Orange County area) both for sightseeing and business on Oct 2 and staying there for a couple of weeks.

Well, today I called a verizon store in Laguna Niguel, California to ask if I can buy some month-to-month iphone 5s right away, but I have been told that they have no inventory at all and they said they don't know at all when their store will be well-stocked.

I understand that you can buy full-priced A1429-CDMA iphone 5s not only at verizon stores but also at bestbuy, radio shack and other retail stores (I know I have to pay $50.00 more when shopping at non-verizon stores), but I don't know where I should go in order to SECURE some during my stay in South California. So can anyone please help me with that?

Thank you very much in advance!

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Your best bet would be to buy from an Apple Store. Here in SoCal there are plenty of them around.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It's hard to predict. However, the stores in big cities get lots of stock, as well as lots of customers. By October 2 perhaps some of the initial rush will have subsided. I'm pretty sure if you check regularly over 2 weeks you'll be able to get a phone. I got lucky yesterday and walked into the store at Grand Central Terminal in New York City just as they were opening up a new shipment. I was in and out in minutes with my new phone. Supply will only be getting better as time progresses.

Kyoko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
South California
If you buy device only AT&T version, it will be unlocked. Just make sure you don't give them a phone number.

Ok, you are talking about the AT&T iphone 5, but I need some verizon iphone 5s. But thank you for your information. I really appreciate that!!!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Ok, you are talking about the AT&T iphone 5, but I need some verizon iphone 5s. But thank you for your information. I really appreciate that!!!

I believe you can also by the Verizon version "device only" without signing a contract. They will also be unlocked, as even the ones they sell on contract to subscribers appear to be unlocked right now. The Verizon ones might work on LTE in Japan since KDDI uses one of the bands that is active on the Verizon model.

Kyoko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
South California
I believe you can also by the Verizon version "device only" without signing a contract. They will also be unlocked, as even the ones they sell on contract to subscribers appear to be unlocked right now. The Verizon ones might work on LTE in Japan since KDDI uses one of the bands that is active on the Verizon model.

Thank you so much KPOM! Please let me make sure one thing. Are you saying that I can buy a no-contract Verizon iphone 5 AT ANY APPLE STORE ? If so, I will be as happy as I can be!

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Thank you so much KPOM! Please let me make sure one thing. Are you saying that I can buy a no-contract Verizon iphone 5 AT ANY APPLE STORE ? If so, I will be as happy as I can be!
Yes your best change for the best stock of the iPhone 5 will be at any Apple retail store.

Please note that Apple considers this a "Device Only" purchase instead of a no-contract purchase.

Dave

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

I believe so. They will certainly do it for the AT&T models, as that's what I bought yesterday. Just tell them you want to buy the device outright, or "Device Only." They will charge the full price ($649 for the 16GB, $749 for 32GB or $849 for 64GB), but the phone you get will be unlocked, even if they tell you it technically isn't the "unlocked" model.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011

Yes you can. In fact, that's what I did yesterday at my local Apple Store in Manhattan Beach, CA. Bought a 64GB Verizon iPhone 5 (paid $923 with tax), took it home, and transferred service online by entering the IMEI and SIM numbers in at Verizon's website.

Verizon iPhones appear to come unlocked out of the box, so you do not need to get them unlocked by a VZW rep:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/21/verizon-iphone-5-unlocked-att-t-mobile-video/

Kyoko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
South California
Yes your best change for the best stock of the iPhone 5 will be at any Apple retail store.

Please note that Apple considers this a "Device Only" purchase instead of a no-contract purchase.

Dave

Thank you dave006!! Being in Japan, all I can see is on Apple's website, and all I can know is that they sell online a maximum of two sets of the iphone 5 that has 2 year contract with the three carriers. So I never dreamed of being able to buy no-contract verizon ones at a Apple store!!!

Thank you so very much again!!

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Thank you always everyone!

To those who are reading my post for the first time, please let me introduce myself. I am a Tokyoite who is planning on visiting South California (Orange County area) both for sightseeing and business on Oct 2 and staying there for a couple of weeks.

Well, today I called a verizon store in Laguna Niguel, California to ask if I can buy some month-to-month iphone 5s right away, but I have been told that they have no inventory at all and they said they don't know at all when their store will be well-stocked.

I understand that you can buy full-priced A1429-CDMA iphone 5s not only at verizon stores but also at bestbuy, radio shack and other retail stores (I know I have to pay $50.00 more when shopping at non-verizon stores), but I don't know where I should go in order to SECURE some during my stay in South California. So can anyone please help me with that?

Thank you very much in advance!

Go to the store in Costa Mesa. South Coast Plaza. Be there tomorrow before it opens. You'll get one.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Go to the store in Costa Mesa. South Coast Plaza. Be there tomorrow before it opens. You'll get one.

The OP stated that he/she won't be in town until October 2.

The Costa Mesa Apple Store is a good place to go, but like I said there's no shortage of Apple Stores around here. There's another one just a few miles away at Fashion Island in Newport Beach, as well as stores in Cerritos, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Century City, The Grove, Glendale, Beverly Center, Sherman Oaks, Pasadena...

Kyoko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
South California
Thank you IllIllIll and KPOM!
I bet you don't realize how huge the information you guys have given to me is!!! Thank you so very much!!!!
And thank you, too, duffman9000 !!

Last edited:

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Take a deep breath... life isn't so serious on internet forums ;)

Honestly, I've never seen you post anything useful. All you do around here is insult others, call people who disagree with you 'trolls', advocate morally questionable activities and start threads that almost instantaneously get wastelanded.

OP was not asking people to clutter up his thread. Go ahead and do that in the numerous junk threads on this forum- you know, the ones like 'I'm going to kill a kitten if I don't get my iPhone', 'omg there is a place for android trolls now, I win!', 'yay iPhone 4 owners don't get maps, go suck it iPhone 4S haters!' and 'new iPhone = cure to cancer?'?

Yes, life isn't supposed to be that serious on the internet. That doesn't mean that you can just waltz in and post something that's completely irrelevant and useless when OP is clearly actually looking for answers.

Minor Problems/Rules said:
Common sense. In the end, use common sense. When you are about to post messages just to increase your post count, or post something you think is funny at someone else's expense, think to yourself "Is this annoying?" If the answer is yes, don't do it.

Hint: the answer is yes.

OP, I realize that my post doesn't exactly help you either, but it looks like your question's been answered and his latest post just ticked me off. I'm sure I'm not the only one too.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012

Awww looks like somebody needs a hug :)

Also your erroneous claim of "never seeing me post something useful" is nothing but a lie since you are obviously stalking all of my past threads such as this or this or this or this or this or this or this or this or this or... you get the idea.

I've got enough groupies already, go get another hobby besides stalking my comments, cherry picking, and learn to relax on the forum.

Hope you have a great day :D

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Awww looks like somebody needs a hug :)

And do you need someone to tell you that you're a great comedian?

Also your erroneous claim of "never seeing me post something useful" is nothing but a lie since you are obviously stalking all of my past threads such as this or this or this or this or this or this or this or this or this or... you get the idea.

Normal posts stay on people's minds for a minute or two, mainly because there are so many of them on here. Useless or straight-up stupid posts linger for longer. I'm sure even the most annoying troll on MR has made a decent post or two, but that isn't what people will remember him for.

I've got enough groupies already, go get another hobby besides stalking my comments, cherry picking, and learn to relax on the forum.

Hope you have a great day :D

This is the first time that I'm replying to you, so stalking your comments I am not. If you have so many people following you around telling you how annoying/irritating your posts are, maybe you ought to think about it. One person telling you you're annoying is just someone who for some reason doesn't like you, many people likely means there's something you should look at. Being passive-aggressive doesn't help.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
And do you need someone to tell you that you're a great comedian?

Nope, already smiling myself everyday :)

Normal posts stay on people's minds for a minute or two, mainly because there are so many of them on here. Useless or straight-up stupid posts linger for longer. I'm sure even the most annoying troll on MR has made a decent post or two, but that isn't what people will remember him for.

Yeah, your post above will linger for a long time. A decent post or two? You stalked all of my past threads and cherry picked 4 (out of 77) to try and sensationalize in order to win an argument :p

So 75-95% of my threads are non-joking, serious threads. Deal with it.

This is the first time that I'm replying to you, so stalking your comments I am not.

Lies. I guess you might stop doing that now that I called you out on it but you already were beforehand.

If you have so many people following you around telling you how annoying/irritating your posts are, maybe you ought to think about it. One person telling you you're annoying is just someone who for some reason doesn't like you, many people likely means there's something you should look at. Being passive-aggressive doesn't help.

I said I already had enough groupies and for you to get lost, maybe you don't understand the word so I'll help you out:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Groupies
group·ie
(grp)
n. Slang
1. A fan, especially a young woman, who follows a rock group around on tours.
2. An enthusiastic supporter or follower: a ballet groupie; a fashion groupie.

Got it now? So no, I never said I had other people telling me they didn't like me. That would be you trying to be passive-agressive and twisting my words.

Btw are you done yet? I'd be happy to take this to PM's since you are so concerned about cluttering up threads. You should take your own advice ;)

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Nope, already smiling myself everyday :)

So what was the point of telling someone to go to the 'Death Valley Apple Store'? It was neither funny nor helpful, so...

Yeah, your post above will linger for a long time. A decent post or two? You stalked all of my past threads and cherry picked 4 (out of 77) to try and sensationalize in order to win an argument :p

So 75-95% of my threads are non-joking, serious threads. Deal with it.

Non-joking serious threads? How about this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1452328/ = iPhone 5 is the best luxury gadget of all time? (yeah, because a phone that everyone and their grandmothers will have is a sign of eliteness)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1452392/ = Are developers going to be lazy and not update their apps? (seriously?)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1448822/ = TELL EVERYONE ABOUT THE SCUFFING ISSUE!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1447618/ = I am going to jump around like a crazy person when I get my iPhone.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1444536/ = Would you be an AT&T CSR? (eh?)

And this is just on the first page of your threads. I could go on and on.

As for 'deal[ing] with it': I'm not a big fan of the rating system here, but at least it tells me that there are at least 7 people out there who agree with my view, and none who agree with yours. Obviously, a non-scientific test, but it's something to play with.

Lies. I guess you might stop doing that now that I called you out on it but you already were beforehand.

I can't stop you from believing whatever you want. The truth is that you're not special enough for 'following around' status yet.

I said I already had enough groupies and for you to get lost, maybe you don't understand the word so I'll help you out:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Groupies
group·ie
(grp)
n. Slang
1. A fan, especially a young woman, who follows a rock group around on tours.
2. An enthusiastic supporter or follower: a ballet groupie; a fashion groupie.

Got it now? So no, I never said I had other people telling me they didn't like me. That would be you trying to be passive-agressive and twisting my words.

Twisting your words? Hardly, and I don't think you understand what passive-aggressive means.
All I demonstrated is that I'm not certain regarding the definition of 'groupies'. As a non-native speaker of English, misunderstandings like this do happen from time to time.
Groupies merely mean 'people who followed a specific person around' in my book, so my sincerest apologies are due here. There have been a number of people who have expressed annoyance regarding your posts in other threads though, that is not something you can deny.

Btw are you done yet? I'd be happy to take this to PM's since you are so concerned about cluttering up threads. You should take your own advice ;)

Yes, quite done, as long as you get the message that silly posts like 'I hear the Apple store in Death Valley has a full stock of them.' does not contribute to the forum. If would like to continue this via PM, I'd be more than happy to though.

You jumped in with your silly reply before the OP had even gotten his question answered. Notice how I only started in here once OP stated that he got his answer and thanked them for their help. I am not interfering with OP's ability to get a proper answer; you were.

Last edited:

Kyoko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
South California
Hi TheMacBookPro,

I never figured this would happen on this thread while I was away.
Anyways, thank you for defending me or should I say for being brave to cope with him. I hope he will never appear on my thread because I have nothing more to say to him.

And thank you too, for your advice. Thanks to you guys, now I don't worry at all whether I can buy Verizon iphone 5s while in the US:)

----------

You should have no problem picking one up at an Apple store

To hkfan24,
Thank you for your succinct comment! Very encouraging to me!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.