Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Mac friends.

The suction cup I (I found laying around, it's used to suck onto glass to hang things) usually use that works with the iPhone 3G and iPhone 5 (granted their screen are not cracked, it's smooth) won't work with the iPhone 6s Plus. Which iPhone suction is best for cracked screen glass of the iPhone 6s Plus? Is it the big orange one (suction cup diameter is 5.8cm) or the one with two jaws? Should I just use silicone sealant oe similar let that dry (or even super glue, I also have the water based, milder Elmer's glue) onto then use my current suction cup to glue it onto the screen for more pulling force, so I don't need to buy? Other recommedations are welcome.

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 8.49.19 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 8.49.53 PM.png

Thank you. Have a blessed weekend.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
iPhone repair kits usually come with a cheap suction cup about 1.25 inches or less. What's the largest circle of unbroken glass on that phone?
Hi, unbroken glass near the Home button, the largest is about 1.5cm.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Packing tape should do it, yeah.
Hi, thanks so much, the packing tape works (I cleaned it first with 50% distilled water mixed with 50% 99.99 alcohol, I use that mix to clean lenses, a DIY mix I researched), my current suction cup is not getting detached but as much force as I can (the kind your arms are shaking from the exertion) pull, it won't budge. I've already removed the 2 screws. What else can be done?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
What else can be done?
The 6s has additional adhesive between the frame and display (dust/waterproofing) which the 5s did not have.
Try heating the frame with a hairdryer or similar to soften the glue.

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
The 6s has additional adhesive between the frame and display (dust/waterproofing) which the 5s did not have.
Try heating the frame with a hairdryer or similar to soften the glue.
Thanks, after more than an hour precision preparation (had to use the 3 magnifying lens headmounted magnification tool) the screen is ready to be pulled (and 2 years mustering the courage coz' I don't have a backup phone X-D- wasn't able to revive the old iPhone 3G and iPhone 5 for SMS only backup phone) what temperature should I set my SMD hot air station (which check from a temperature probe, I made a distance limiter taped with gaff tape/gaffer's tape Gaff Pro is the best w/ this kind of no residue very reusable tape when wearing nitrile gloves and surfaces cleaned with 99.99% isopropyl alcohol) in celsius without damaging the LCD and other iPhone components, so it softens the screens side glue so I can pull it off easily? Thank you in advance, have a great and very blessed sunday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.