Which to purchase - 2.0 GHz or 2.2 GHz Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lateralus, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Lateralus macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm new here. :) I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.

I am purchasing a Macbook this week. I am stuck between the 2.0 GHz white and 2.2 GHz white. I was wondering if that extra 200 MHz makes a noticeable difference, especially when it comes to running World of Warcraft and The Sims 2. Would I really be able to tell?

I think the SuperDrive in the mid-line Macbook model is an attractive feature, but it's not absolutely necessary for me. Also, if I bought the baseline 2.0 GHz Macbook, I would upgrade to a 120GB HD because 80 GB is ridiculously small for what I do on my computer. I also plan on upgrading the RAM to 2 GB in the near future.

Thank you for any responses.

2. WillMak macrumors 6502a

macworld is just around the corner....wait....

3. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Since you are getting the hard drive upgraded, the extra $125 is well worth spending to get the faster processor and Superdrive.

I don't think the base 2.0GHz MacBook is a good value. Definitely get the 2.2GHz.

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I would say wait till Mac World, or get a refurb 2.16GHz or maybe even a 2.2GHz.

5. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

The 2.2 also comes with SR, with allows for 4GB of ram (possible 8GB when 4GB sticks are available), the x3100 graphics card, as well as a faster 800mhz FSB (though it's bottlenecked by 667mhz ram at the moment).

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It used to be that a DVD writer was important for backups, but times have changed. If you can handle a screwdriver (or know someone who can), you could go for this combination: The cheapest MacBook, the 250 GB Western Digital 2.5" hard disk, a 2.5" USB hard disk case, and 2GB RAM. The hard disk, case and RAM will be just above $200, but after swapping the hard drive, you have a massive internal disk, a nice external drive for Time Machine, and lots of RAM. For the MacBook, hard disk and RAM are really easy to upgrade.

8. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Lol. Sorry, for some reason I thought the OP was talking about a refurb 2.0; no idea where I got that from. Whoops! :eek:

9. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Get the 2.2 - in case you ever need to sell it, in two/three years time - a laptop without a dvd burner will be stupid and would hit resale value hard (even more than it is now)