Which TV?! Ready to pull the plug but cannot decide...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ozreth, Feb 15, 2011.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So after a few months of debating with myself I am ready to pull the plug on a TV tonight. I've got some Amazon credit so I can only purchase one sold by Amazon. I've narrowed it down to these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-5...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1297813921&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-L42U25-42-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/tech-data/B00391XGDA/ref=de_a_smtd

Now I know the panasonic seems like much more bang for my buck (same specs, 2" bigger screen) but I've got a few gripes. For starters, is the Panasonic screen going to be matte or glossy? I much prefer a matte screen, which the Sony is. Secondly, I like the form factor of the Sony much more. With that being said, the Panasonic IS $100 cheaper.

But how do the two compare picture-wise? It will be primarily used for gaming (I dont watch much tv or movies) but I don't want to feel limited it what it can or cannot do in the future so I am trying to get an all around capable tv.

2. 184550 Guest

It sounds to me like you've settled on the Sony (personally, that would be my choice from the two above).

Just curious, did you check out any of Vizio's offerings?

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Yeah I was looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E420VL-...KP2Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1297815570&sr=8-7

But figure I might as well get the Panasonic in that case as I prefer the style.

And yup I've pretty much settled on the Sony but I know next to nothing about these things. I wish I could sit a 40" and 42" next to eachother, I'm guessing I would hardly notice the difference though. Also, $100 is quite a bit :)

4. 184550 Guest

I'm in the same boat. :p

It seems that a 42 inch only gives you 5- 10% more space, not that much difference IMO.

5. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

:p

My girlfriend is telling me I'm crazy and that a bigger tv for 100 cheaper with the same specs (1080p, 120hz) is a no brainer. I'm still on the fence.

Is there a way to find out if the panasonic is matte or gloss I wonder? And yeah I'm not TOO concerned about the size difference, and that link helps put it in perspective.

6. JDizzzy, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011

JDizzzy macrumors newbie

Buy the Panasonic. It is better machine albeit only slightly. The real difference is size. The measurements are taken on the diagonal, so a 2inch difference is more than 5%, it is closer to 10%. Would you give up 10% of your stuff? (please forward it to me!) The Sony costs more because you are paying for the brand.

LCDs typically come in matte finishes. Only Plasmas require a glass screen and are hence glossy. LCDs are better for gaming so it sounds like you are looking at the right TVs. Check the TV out on the internet or in a best buy to verify the finish on either unit.

You won't be disappointed with either, but take the extra 10% in size.

PS I own a Panasonic plasma, Sony LCD and a Samsung LCD. I like the Sony the least.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I own a slightly older Sony and my biggest complaint is that it takes some time to "boot up". It takes maybe 20 seconds before you can change the channel. I don't know how the others compare in this regard though.

8. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

I thought it was the other way around with Plasmas being matte more often and also better for gaming due to the high refresh rate?

9. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Consumer reports ranks them the exact same. Says the picture quality is better on Sony, but viewing angle is better on Panasonic. Sound quality is same on both. Remote and onscreen menu are better on panasonic, and versatility is much better on Sony. energy usage is exact the same.

Versatility is defined as Versatility "indicates features that increase a TV's utility or capabilities. These might include the presence of more HD-capable inputs, a headphone jack, a base that swivels, extensive Internet connectivity, slide-show functionality for digital pictures, iPod docking, and so on."

Not sure if any of these versatility things apply to this tv. I did read something about no analog inputs (perhaps headphone jack?) on Panasonic....not sure what inputs you need, but assume HDMI would suffice so no worries there.

So all in all, either are great TV's. Both are recommended buys by CR.

I couldn't see the price on amazon, but is the shipping free on both?

Good luck!

10. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Thanks flyfish, good stuff : )

With my $50 credit the Panasonic ends up being $500 and the Sony $600. No tax and free shipping.

Sure is tough : /

11. flyfish29, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011

flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Yeah, tough deciding which GREAT flatscreen TV to get!!!:rolleyes:

So do you have both of them in your shopping cart yet? Amazon will fluctuate the prices often when they are in your cart and perhaps that can tip the scale for ya if the price drops on either some day soon. I have done this with several electronics purchases lately.

If you have (or get) one of these credit cards then I suggest the Sony. This credit card bought 1/2 of my $1400 Sony tv and the entire PS3 system!! I have also not paid for a single PS3 video game in five years by using my Sony points!

What gaming system do you have?

IF PS3 then perhaps the Sony due to some better interaction between the two systems.

If Wii, then the Panasonic. for my reasons click here! :eek:

If X-box then the less expensive Panasonic as well my reason here!:D

12. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

I do have a PS3. That card sounds pretty awesome, gonna look into it : ) Also going to put the two items in my cart and see what happens.

13. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I'd go with the Panasonic and save $100. Plus, it is sold directly from Amazon. The Sony was selling from a third party when I clicked the link. Amazon has never failed me, regardless of item cost.

Incidentally, the plasma I have is a Panasonic and I have had no issues with it.

And it's the plasmas that are usually glossy compared to the LCDs.

14. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Another vote for Panasonic. I have their 50" 1080p and I've been very happy with it.

The screen finish is anti-reflective, not matte. Reflections are pretty well subdued with the coating.

15. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Nah, Sony is also sold by Amazon. I can only use my credit on things that are. Panasonic is sounding better though...