Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
If you are constantly plugging in devices I've found that hubs which are at a 90 degree angle are inconvenient. In order to seat the cable you have to hold the hub down otherwise it will move.

A hub that sits at an angle doesn't have this problem. I have both the 7 and 10 port Satechi hubs and they work beautifully. Most link ports deliver less power to the device due to the linking causing my iPads and iPhones to complain that they aren't charging. Actually they are, but it just takes a long time. Even my MacPro USB 3.0 ports have this problem. The Satechi 10 port has 3 ports which are not linked but just charge so these ports don't cause the devices to complain that they aren't charging.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 3.03.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 3.03.35 AM.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 444

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
If you are constantly plugging in devices I've found that hubs which are at a 90 degree angle are inconvenient. In order to seat the cable you have to hold the hub down otherwise it will move.

A hub that sits at an angle doesn't have this problem. I have both the 7 and 10 port Satechi hubs and they work beautifully. Most link ports deliver less power to the device due to the linking causing my iPads and iPhones to complain that they aren't charging. Actually they are, but it just takes a long time. Even my MacPro USB 3.0 ports have this problem. The Satechi 10 port has 3 ports which are not linked but just charge so these ports don't cause the devices to complain that they aren't charging.

This adapter seems to be a rebranded chinese Orico hub. I found it at aliexpress. I'd like to find something that could drive an external SSD and a phone charging cable.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I'm not sure which Orico hub you are referring to. If it's the BC-U3H10 that's an entirely different beast. If you compare the pictures the Orico looks like a little aluminum on plastic, rather cheap. The Satechi has a design that looks a lot like an Apple trackpad, aluminum casing, the power and USB connectors on each end on the 10 port are polished silver just like on the trackpad. Darn, that's why I liked it - they just copied the Apple trackpad design and used it for the hub. My 7 port Satechi has plastic end caps though. But you pay for that elegance - it's almost twice the price.

As I mentioned I haven't found any USB connector that links with iTunes including the ones on my MacPros that don't cause my IOS devices to complain that they don't get enough power. They do charge eventually though.

I get no such complaint from my devices if I use the +5V 1.0 amp ports on the 10 port Satechi. Charges my IOS devices quickly with no complaint. So your need for a phone charging cable is handled with the 10 port. Can't speak to the SSD, but assuming it's not wireless and you are accessing it via USB 3.0 you are going to take a power hit. If you buy through Amazon if it doesn't work you can just return it for free. These days you con't even have to create a shipping label, just leave the repackaged item outside your door.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 4.06.01.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 4.06.01.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 287

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
This adapter seems to be a rebranded chinese Orico hub. I found it at aliexpress. I'd like to find something that could drive an external SSD and a phone charging cable.
Any 7 ports usb hub self powered will have ability to drive an external SSD
My external SSD doesnt run on bus powered usb hub

jordygreen

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
London, UK
So i'm having some problems with my current cheap usb hub. It keeps ejecting my hard drives when there in heavy use which is not good.

I was wondering what you guys are using and what your recommendations are?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
So i'm having some problems with my current cheap usb hub. It keeps ejecting my hard drives when there in heavy use which is not good.

I was wondering what you guys are using and what your recommendations are?

Not cheap, but this is working great for me. It includes UASP support, many USB 3 hubs do not include it (UASP support is optional on USB 3, many don't want to pay the royalty required and it is really only useful for SSD USB 3 drives.)

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-Aluminum-10-Port-Adapter-UGT-AH100U3/dp/B00J8LWNES

childoftheko4n

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Hell all,

Late to the party here, but general question. Are there any well received USB 3.0 hubs that don't all feed off 1 power? So if i were to put 1, 2, say 2 USB 3.0 external drives on the hub, it would be the same read/write speed regardless of how many?

Or do i need to go to a thunderbolt dock for that

iqwertyi

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
I have a 2011 iMac and I need a hub to handle 4 portable USB drives. These drives are my data drives and Time Machine. Which would be the right one for my needs?
I think I may need a powered one to run all four drives?
Thanks,

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I have a 2011 iMac and I need a hub to handle 4 portable USB drives. These drives are my data drives and Time Machine. Which would be the right one for my needs?
Thanks,
Yes, I would go for a powered one. I use two different Anker ones without any issues and that is what I would recommend.

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
Thanks,
I use this powered hub: www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EYXZI4M/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1449184213&sr=8-6&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=anker+hub

Plus this Tbolt to USB3 adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LO...5_QL70&keywords=Thunderbolt+adapter+kanex

I have 5 bus powered HDDs and two peripherals and the Kanex tbolt adapter lets them all run at USB 3 speed, no power problems with the hub.

Last edited:

childoftheko4n

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Hey All,

Looking for a device / USB hub that may or may not be out there? o_O

I am looking for a USB 3.0 hub that has headphone port (so i can leave my headphones plugged in and toggle output via os x ) as well as SD card reader (as being a photographer and the slot on the back of the iMac is PITA)

I know there are thunderbolt docks that do this, however are there any USB hubs on the cheaper end? I see there are ones that do headphone lines, and ones that do SD card slots. however any for both?

Thanks!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hey All,

Looking for a device / USB hub that may or may not be out there? o_O

I am looking for a USB 3.0 hub that has headphone port (so i can leave my headphones plugged in and toggle output via os x ) as well as SD card reader (as being a photographer and the slot on the back of the iMac is PITA)

I know there are thunderbolt docks that do this, however are there any USB hubs on the cheaper end? I see there are ones that do headphone lines, and ones that do SD card slots. however any for both?

Thanks!

How about get the USB hub that with SD card slot and use a USB headphone?

childoftheko4n

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
How about get the USB hub that with SD card slot and use a USB headphone?

Not a bad idea really. Id still have to get a USB adapter for my headphones but those shouldnt be too expensive. Would there potentially be a quality loss going from headphones - USB Adapter - USB hub - iMac USB?
[doublepost=1455030188][/doublepost]could also just get the one with headphone jack and just use USB toggle for SD card i suppose o_O

swamyg1

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
I just ordered the Hootoo USB 3.0 hub HT-UH010 on Amazon, it’s only registering as 2.0 on my brand new 5k iMac.

It’s the only USB device plugged into my machine and I don’t know why it’s only 2.0. I’m using El Capitan 10.11.3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.