Which used iMac sites are trustworthy?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by oneofthesedaves, Jul 18, 2011.

1. oneofthesedaves macrumors regular

As you can see below, I own quite a few Apple products, but all of them have been purchased directly from Apple. I need to get an iMac for a couple of employees to share periodically just to look up company files at the office periodically. I have decided that I am buying this one used since it would be a waste to buy a new one for this purpose. I don't mind if it is an older model, but would like to have an Intel based iMac. Some of the used mac sites look blatantly phony. I called an 800 number at one of them to ask a question and got a voicemail of an Asian person with a heavy accent. Which sites are trustworthy?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would buy a refurb from Apple and get the warranty

3. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

Small Dog Electronics is reliable and sells reburbs done by Apple.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Generally those used Mac stores are grossly overpriced. I know I've seen a number of instances where they charge as much or more for a used previous gen Mac compared to the new model sold through Apple.

If buying used just buy through eBay. Their buyer protection is quite good. You will get a much better price than a used Mac store.

5. gizms12 macrumors newbie

I know refurb is the best way to go, but on several occasions I’ve gone the used route and had great success with a company called DV Warehouse (link below). There prices aren’t bad and they stand by their products, they usually have a pretty good sale going on most models, check them out they may have what you need.

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/

6. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

The point of buying an Apple refurb is the warranty FROM APPLE. It has the same one year warranty, and is eligible for the same additional 2 years of Applecare. If something breaks, Apple fixes it: PERIOD.

Its been rated the best warranty in the business.

Out of warranty: NOPE, unless its something special like the Nvidia 8600GT GPU that Nvidia admitted will break.

7. 32gb3gwifi macrumors member

apple.com is the only trustworthy place to buy a refurb. period.

8. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I disagree with you (only somewhat) buying from the correct ebay sellers is just as good more often lower priced then apple refurb with warranty. Not tooting my horn but i have sold many mac units on ebay all good with warranty.( mac mini's for the most part)

that said the op should get this from apple online refurb. if it spec's well enough for him

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/21?mco=MjEwNzQxNjQ

why do I say this . when it comes to iMacs and shipping you want from apple stores or a direct pickup. the reason is the glass screens can break and basically apple will take it back without a question.

9. 32gb3gwifi macrumors member

the reason I say that is because with apple there is absolutely no gamble. none. but with ebay.... yea.:cool: you might end up with a picture of an imac. lol

10. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

i aGREE!

11. oneofthesedaves thread starter macrumors regular

Funny enough, I bought that machine that you put the link to a few weeks ago. As for this machine that I was talking about in my post, I was looking for a 1st gen. Intel iMac 20". I found one on Craig's list and bought it for $300 today. This machine isn't for my personal use, but rather just as a shared work station that a couple of my employees could use for basic file sharing and simple email. They barely know how to send an email, so the horsepower of a Core i3 would be wasted on them. I'm installing Snow Leopard on it at the moment.

As far as refurb Macs go, I too have had excellent experiences with buying refurbs from Apple. I have done so 4 times and have had a great experience.

12. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

craig's list is good for iMac's because you can inspect them before you pay. Buying used iMac's are the toughest apple item to buy used due to screen breakage. Also not easy to sell. If the buyer says the screen is broken you have to file with ups or fedex and that is almost impossible to collect on.

Good luck with your purchase for work.