Which version of Windows to dual boot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PapaSmuffs, May 26, 2009.

1. PapaSmuffs macrumors newbie

I'm going to be getting my MBP as soon as the back to school deal starts. Just wondering in advance which version of Windows I should purchase to get the most out of my MBP hardware. I've only ever used XP 32 bit so I am not familiar with the uses of 64bit OS's or of Vista or the new 7. Which windows OS would you all recommend?

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

2. PapaSmuffs thread starter macrumors newbie

Considering it is beta:

Is it faster than a licensed Vista?
    Is there any outstanding bugs?
    Is it easy to install?
    And how long is it going to be available for free :p ?

Thanks

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since win7 is still not out and you'll only be installing the RC version, I'd say hold off on that. So that leaves XP and vista, and between those two, I think XP is a better choice.

4. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i have 7 RC installed on my MBP and everything works fine (for a windows machine)

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Definitley go with the 64 bit Windows 7 RC. I have installed all three on my uMBP and it is my favorite. it's faster than Vista for sure. i havent come across any bugs so far. they all take about the same amount of "skill" to install. And it will be free until may 2010.

6. Uncanny macrumors newbie

Windows 7 RC 64 bit. Definitely the best version of Windows. It will expire in March 2010.

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

oops sorry you're right march 2010.

8. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

From my newsletter from Microsoft:

"There is another expiration date you need to keep in mind: Windows 7 RC will expire on 6/1/2010"

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

ha yea but according to their website starting March 2010 the computer will shut down every 2 hours.:rolleyes:

10. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

honestly, 2 hours is about all the windows i can handle at one sitting :p

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It is unusable starting in March.

12. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Hmm, idiotic that MS would say the thing expires on 6/1/10 when it will essentially be unusable by 3/1/10. Dumb.

13. PapaSmuffs thread starter macrumors newbie

LMAO. All these posts are cracking me up :D . Well Windows 7 is starting to seem more and more the better option. I'll definitely be looking into it now not only because its new and shiny, but also the fact that its free is a turn on to my now empty wallet (cough new MBP). Thanks for all the feedback!

14. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Windows 7 RC because it's free, and works relatively well. :cool:

15. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I'll agree with the Win7RC it's by far the best Windows experience I have ever had.

Touching on the people who are upset with how Microsoft is running the Win7RC, really? So what if in March it shuts down every two hours, so what if it expires in June. You get to USE it for free until then. It's better to get a shutdown every two hours to remind you to upgrade than for it to shutoff for good.

Beside when it starts happening, just roll your clock back a few months and turn off all of the automatic time setting features.

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Windows 7 no doubt. I havn't used Windows for about two months (since I needed it for my job but even then only virtualized it) but I forgot how much I missed the font rendering for long reads. Some of the User experience features are simply stunning. Its insanely intuitive; like the "drag the window to the top of the screen to maximize trick" i'd use that all day long.

17. wngraham macrumors regular

One thing to keep in mind, you won't be able to just "upgrade" once the 2010 deadline hits for Windows 7. You'll have to do a complete reformat and install a commercial copy.

18. Essjay macrumors regular

19. kolax macrumors G3

Windows 7 RC is heaps better than XP if you want to dual-boot. I haven't found any bugs yet, but the only things I do with it are:

- Parallels Desktop so I can use Windows Live Messenger
    - Play games
    - Microsoft Access

I dislike Windows, not for the whole "viruses and malware" stuff, but for the way it works. I like OS X for the keyboard shortcuts, the GUI, the way Apple thinks an OS should be.

However there is some nice things in 7 that I like, especially the taskbar. I like the Dock, but Apple could steal a few ideas from the new taskbar. Like, right-clicking on an application and being able to open a recently used document.

7 is definitely the OS you'd want to dual boot with.

20. str8spd2001 macrumors regular

str8spd2001

How big of a hard drive would I want to give to windows partition if I was to run Windows 7?

21. kolax macrumors G3

I gave mine 50GB's. Depends how much you are going to install on your Windows partition..

22. str8spd2001 macrumors regular

str8spd2001

How many gig does Window 7 take up? This I least will give me an idea how many I wanna partition to it. Thanx again

I also forgot which did most download....the 32 or 64 bit?

23. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

For Win7 64bit edition you'd want at least 16GB, it doesn't take up that much room mind you, that way you can install a few programs.

24. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

I have 7 on my computer, and I really like it...
    runs way better then vista...