Which Will Sell Faster..... 8gb or 16gb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipodtouchy333, Jul 2, 2008.

1. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Just was wondering which one you guys think will sell faster and which Apple will sell the most of. I'm definitely going for the 16gb myself (white) but I think with the price point of $199, Apple will sell a ton of the 8gb's. What do you think?

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

well, with the apps coming out it would seem like most people want the 16 in order to have space for the apps. i think we can look at ipod classic for instance, does anyone know if the 80 or 160 GB sells more, that would be a good comparison

3. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

8GB Black - Will sell moderately.

16GB Black - Will absolutely fly of the shelves.

16GB White - Will sell steadily.

R-Fly

4. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

How's about the 16gb version sells fast to the technophobes then slowly everyone else buys the 8gb version through the back to school/holiday season.

5. christf10 macrumors member

christf10

It's not the best comparison but your right, those that are interested in apps will opt for the 16GB. When looking at the ipod classic, 80GB is so much space it really comes to a $$ issue at that point. My plan is to go with the 16GB prob in white.

6. Kerching macrumors member

At launch the 8Gb will sell far better - in no small part to no 16Gb being available at launch.

7. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Totally agree with this prediction.

8. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

I think the 8gb will sell the best at launch.

9. brandonzar macrumors regular

Why would the 16 GB sell better to technophobes? I would think it would sell better to technophiles.

I'm going for the 16 GB black, I have the 16GB touch now and it seems like a good amount.

10. Xiph0s macrumors regular

I second that, only this forum is going to get the 16gb, most NORMAL people dont even really understand what a gigabytes is in general let alone justifying spending an extra 100 dollars.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The 16GB version will sell better. In two months, Apple will discontinue the 8GB version.

12. BufferOverflow macrumors newbie

BufferOverflow

I'd have to agree with R-Fly's prediction. I think the first few days sales will be cannibalized by us technophiles who'll be snapping up the 16Gb version.

I think this will settle down to sales to the average person who I think will go for the 8Gb version due to its pricepoint.

13. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I just don't believe that rumour.

14. Dakotafan macrumors 6502

I was going to go with the 8GB model, but I guess I'm going to go with the 16 considering the space needed for the apps

15. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

8gb will sell out first...keep in mind they're hoping for new customers...a newbie won't know what to do with 16gbs:D

16. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I wouldn't know what to do with 16GB as I can't spare the battery life to iPod functions. Far better to carry a Nano in my pocket as well. I actually think a lot of newbies will buy the 16GB model because they want the best, and will then find that draining your phone's/browser's/emailer's battery to play music doesn't make much sense after all.

17. And5555 macrumors member

I am a technophile, but I just don't think I can justify getting the 16GB. I see many people who complain about no 32 GB, but I just don't see the significant use for me. I only carry about 2 GB of music and would much rather browse the internet than watch movies on the iPhone. I shrink my pictures down to 640x480 range. I wouldn't expect apps to be much greater than 10 MB each, so even if I downloaded 200 apps, that's 2 GB.

I am upgrading from a 4 GB iPhone; so 8 GB to me is more than I use.

On one hand, I cannot see myself ever using more than 8 GB, but on the other, there's no turning back after this selection.

Can anyone help me justify the $100 for the 16 GB?

18. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

+1. Due to the price point the unwashed masses will strongly favor the 8 GB model.

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

640k ought to be enough for anyone.

20. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

I think so, I think they'll release than everyone wants the 16GB for apps as well as their media.

They discontinue the 8GB, and drop the price of the 16GB, watch everyone moan about it when they do. LOL.

21. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Don't forget the introduction of a 32GB model at Macworld 2009. ;)

R-Fly

22. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i'm personally going for the 16gb version, in white to match my macbook and ipod :)

but the main reason for 16gb is i want this to replace my ipod as much as possible. i have quite a fair bit more than 16gb of music anyway, but a good selection of songs will be able to fit on there.

23. slicecom macrumors 68020

I'm going to go against the grain and say the 8GB will outsell the 16GB by a substancial margin. Most iPhone buys aren't nerds like all of us on this forum and don't care so much about storage capacity. Most will buy the iPhone because of the image associated with it.

24. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I think the 16gb will sell faster even if people do not use applications because people getting the phone want as much of their itunes library as they can get onto it.

I am on the fence regarding color. I will have 6 hours to wait from the time it hits the east coast to where I live so I will be able to see some real feedback from folks before I hit the store.

25. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Id imagine that the 16GB will sell faster, just because there will be so many iphone users upgrading. %99 of new iPhone owners will go for the 8GB because of the price and not seeing the need for 16GB.

Ill be getting a 16GB White, just because I think they will be more rare! After July 11th everyone will have an iPhone, I still want some individuality!