Which Wireless HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Naked-Warrior, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Naked-Warrior macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions for the best portable wireless HDD to enable me to stream movies to my macbook or ipad whilst travelling in my Motor Home. It needs to be compact and enable either wifi or bluetooth streaming to apple devices.

Can anyone recommend?

Thanks

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wd or seagate make nice portable wifi drives with pass though. Wouldn't recommend anything that claims to be able to push video over Bluetooth to be honest.

3. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I looked a long time ago at the SanDisk and remember something about not being able to stream/download DRM protected movies from iTunes in Safari. Not sure if still true or if you can use another player. I don't do much of this stuff so not sure if it applies to your situation. Just FYI--

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

Assuming MP4 is your format of choice, my favorite new device for this is Kingston's (fairly new) MobileLite Wireless Pro - part battery back, part mobile access point, part mobile NAS/file server with it's own SSID with 64GB of onboard storage and USB stick/SD card slots. I saw them announced at CES and wanted one right away. I'm on the road for work a LOT...

Read up here on a pretty decent review:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/kingston_mobilelite_wirelesss_g3_pro/

I play my movies on my rMBP with the built-in SD card reader and use the Wireless Pro for my iPad Pro. Pretty slick option as an alternative IMHO. About US$100 and it works will all of my SD cards so far.

5. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Toshiba has a wireless rechargeable 1TB HDD with SD slot rated at 5 hours and SSD with 128GB capacity rated at more. Both have USB 3.0 and passthrough Internet access while streaming.

6. Naked-Warrior thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2016 ---
    Been looking at the Seagate since posting the topic and it looks a good choice.