Which wireless router are you running with your MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Merkava_4, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Which wireless router are you running with your MBP ?

I can't make up my mind on which one to get.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have a 4th gen AirPort Extreme "n" as my main router, and a 1st gen Extreme n for extra range. I don't have any problems with them, but I'm going to need a separate router soon when I upgrade my broadband due to no 802.11q support in the AirPort. Presumably that's not required in the US (or Apple would probably support it!)

3. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I was running the Asus RT-AC66U and it's amazing!! Highly recommend it...

Then, got the new Airport Extreme w/3 TB TC (gift), so now am using that works great, as intended, but I miss some advanced features from the Asus.

If I were buying, I'd recommend Asus. :)

4. Jasonx82 macrumors member

5. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I currently have a 2nd Gen Wireless-N 1TB Time Capsule. It does lack some higher level features I like found on other routers but it has been reliable and works well. Realistically, how much do you need to mess with your router anyway? I also like it's simple clean design that just blends with Apple's products.

After using it for years I plan on replacing it soon to take advantage of Wireless-AC. I'm not sure yet but I'm considering the following options:

Wireless-AC 2TB Time Capsule
    Wireless-AC Airport Extreme + WD MyCloud 2TB
    Other Router + WD MyCloud 2TB

I prefer to have all Apple products for this purpose because I'm sure of the compatibility and good looks but I'll admit I'm curious about my other options. Whatever I pick will need to be an improvement of what I already have and blend in like the Time Capsule.

6. raptor402 macrumors 6502

I was using Airport Express 2nd Gen (N) until last week, when I swapped it out for a Linksys WAP300N since the Express just didn't have that range.

I planned to use the express to extend the Linksys network but that didn't work out since Apple WiFi access points only extend other Apple networks. I now plan to return the Express as the main access point and use the Linksys as an extender.

On a side note, has anyone else experienced bad WiFi range on Airport Expresses on smartphones and small devices?

Regards
    Raptor

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

8. AirThis, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

AirThis macrumors 6502a

Time Capsule 2TB (edit) here as well. I manage it with Airport Utility 5.6, which has many additional features compared to the newer utility version shipped with Mavericks.

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

That is so annoying the 5.6 is the best version of Airport Utility. I been using it myself but it stopped working with Mavericks. How did you get it to work.

10. AirThis macrumors 6502a

11. phyx macrumors member

I'm using asus rt-56u and it works great except with one thing. It has two usb2 ports that support HHD, so i can use it as a ftp server. but my mac can only read the disk, not write. even when i have changed the privileges to read/write for just that login account to the ftp server.

I've tried NTFS formated drive with paragon. will only read.
    I've tried mac os x extended. will only read.
    I've tried exFat, can't even use the disk in the router then.

The router has the latest firmware, and I use mavrics on my rmbp.

Can't figure out whats wrong and its driving me nuts!

12. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

13. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

14. padapada macrumors regular

+1

15. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

4th gen AEBS, wishing I had Time Capsule for wireless TM backups to connected USB drives. :D

16. bobr1952, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

First Gen 500GB Time Capsule--6 years and still going strong. :)

17. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Likewise, and this is the very reason why my next router won't be made by Apple.

18. Justinhub2003 macrumors regular

Apple Airport Extreme (2011 model before design change)

And its been the best router I've ever used. Probably rebooted in 3x in 2.5 years

19. Nive macrumors member

Using a Linksys EA6700, 802.11ac works wonders.

20. Ai-apple macrumors regular

Mine is Linksys E4200. It's been working well but might need to update to Linksys EA6900. How is it comparing to Asus RT-AC68U?

21. Hitch08 macrumors 6502

I am using an Asus RT-AC66U as my main router. I have an older 2TB TC setup for backups.

The one thing that is a bit of a bummer with this setup is that I can't use the "Guest" wifi setup on the TC. Apparently the TC needs to be the primary router, or running as a bridge to another Apple router, for the "Guest" wifi to function.

22. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

23. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the 802.11n version of the Airport extreme base, not sure which generation that is. It works well enough. I also have and old (1st or 2nd gen) TC I use in bridge mode to extend my wireless network.

I've been thinking of upgrading the my routers lately to get a better handle on my wireless infrastructure (more control) but so far I've not really decided to spend any money.