Which would be the best Mac Pro for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DaveP, Nov 12, 2010.

1. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

Hey everybody,
    I'm trying to decide on my next computer purchase. I currently have a 2.4 GHz Core2 Duo iMac that is acceptable. However, I don't plan on holding onto it for too long as its 3 year AppleCare is done in June and I find it easier to sell if it is still under warranty. I know for sure that I do not want another iMac. The limited upgradability and especially the external hard drives irritate me to no end.

As far as computer usage, I'm a part time iPhone developer who also uses my computer for Photoshop, digital RAW photo manipulation, and Windows virtualization round out my more intensive type of tasks. Depending on the model I get, I'd like to computer to last 3-5 years, which considering I could get away with my current iMac for another year if I wanted to, seems very doable.

I was thinking of going used as I don't need the computing horsepower of the newest models. However, if it would last me longer such that it would be a better value I would certainly consider it. Though the current base model seems a particularly poor deal. I was considering a 3,1 2.8 octo as it seemed to be a reasonable blend of power vs cost, though I have hardly any hands on experience with Mac Pro's to really know. One thing I am not very familiar with is the different processor families and I know certain models allow better options for CPU upgrades in the future. And I'm hesitant to play the waiting game for new models as it will likely be a while and who knows what will or won't make it in (lightpeak?). But again I could be persuaded if there is a compelling reason.

So, tell me what computer I should get ... and why:)

Thanks.

2. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Get a refurb from the Apple Online Store if you're going to go used. Getting one of the Mid-2010 Mac Pros as a refurb would be best.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Base current gen is likely faster than 2008 8-core in most cases as it supports Turbo which increases single-threaded performance. As said above, just get a refurb

4. DaveP thread starter macrumors 6502

DaveP

Which model exactly would you define as mid-level? And is it really worth the increased cost? As I said, I don't really know if I need that much computing power and it would be a good bit cheaper to go used. Thanks.

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Agreed............ but make sure it's a 2010 model. The 09 refurbs aren't good "deals".

A 2010 base 2.8 Quad can always be upgraded with new CPU's. Wanna buy my 3.2 GHz processor? ;)

cheers
    JohnG

6. DaveP thread starter macrumors 6502

DaveP

Could that be upgraded in the future with the 6-core Westmere? What other chips could be used and are they still coming out with compatible ones or will newer offering from Intel not be compatible?

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The 2010 quad models can be upgraded with a hex CPU, the soon to be released 3.46GHz being the fastest you can buy.

Future processors will not be compatible with current Mac Pro hardware.

8. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

yes the 2.8 can go to the 3.33 hex.

you can buy the ram for it the 2.8

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php...B-ECC-Server-Memory-For-Apple-Mac-Pro-Systems

this will work in the 2.8 and when you upgrade to the 3.33 hex it will also work this ram works in both machines. in knows to downclock to 1066 in the 2.8 and runs at 1333 in the 3.33hex

right now the 2.8 base is not in the refurb store. it would be 2119 at the online store plus tax

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/726476-REG/Apple_MC560LL_A_Mac_Pro_Quad_Core_Desktop.html

2375 no tax and free shipping a good price they ship to all 48 states for free no tax except NY. they also have apple care at a discount.

http://www.jr.com/apple/pe/APP_MC560LL_SL_A/

2392 no tax free shipping except NY. if you have a discover card you can get 5% off so it is 2275.

9. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

Just to add the Apple store doesn't really differentiate between 2010 and 2009, just look at which graphics card is included.

2010: 5770 or 5870
    2009: GT 120 or 4870

10. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

You stated you don't need the computing power of the newer models and you'd like to save a bit of money going used. IMHO the best deal in a Mac Pro, if you don't need a 2010, is the following 2009 model.

Here's one for $1643:
    http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/Apple_Mac_Pro/MB871LLA/U83343/

$1600-ish for a new Mac Pro is mind-boggling to me. Amazon has the same model for slightly more.