While charging: Off or Sleep?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Prohybe, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Prohybe macrumors member

Hello guys i recently bought the new iPad and when charging it for the first time i noticed that it automatically turned on. So i turned it off. But it didn't seem normal so i did some research and i noticed that it's normal for ipads to turn on while plugged in and i found many subjects about this but no specific answers.
    (1) Should i turn the ipad off while it's charging or just wait, after it turns on when plugged in, until it goes to sleepmode and just leave it like that? Thanks
    (2) Also can i charge it every night even if the battery is like 30%? Just to have it fully ready for the next day? thanks

2. number84 macrumors 6502

Just leave it in sleep mode when charging. The iPad is meant to be an instant-on device. And yes charge it every night if you want it fully charged and ready to go each morning.

3. xraytech, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

xraytech macrumors 68020

OMG!!!

Yet another, "How do I charge my iPad?" thread.

Just leave it ON, charge it before you go to sleep and be done with it!!!

Is there a way to sticky proper battery management in this forum?

4. kokhean macrumors regular

Top it up every single time, at any percentage. It doesn't hurt the battery. If you want the battery to recalibrate, drain it down and charge it to the max.

5. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Sleep so that it can backup to iCloud overnight, download any new mail/other messages that come in, and check the app store for updates.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No need but feel free to do what you want.

Linked in countless prior threads on the matter:
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

7. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Leave mine in sleep mode and charge it every night (almost) no matter what percent is left.

Have done that since the original iPad, and no issues with either one.

8. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

1+ that is what I do when I go to sleep.

10. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Leave it turned on so it can backup to iCloud etc. You can charge it overnight whether it's at 1% or 80%, it doesn't matter. It's recommended you do regular small charges rather than less regular longer charges. Lots of people don't unplug it while they are using it, that's also fine.

If you're asleep, why does it matter?

11. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I bet it doesn't actually charge any faster off vs. asleep. Seeing as how the battery can last for a couple of weeks sitting unplugged and asleep, sleep mode clearly doesn't use very much power.

And, since you're sleeping when you plug it in anyway, what's the rush?

12. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

i don't turn mine off. I just charge it, cover it with my smartcover, and bam! that's it for the night. When I wake up in the morning, it's 100%.

13. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Agree leave it in sleep.

I sometimes turn on Airplane mode to avoid being woken up by email alerts etc, of course this stops iCloud backups.

Not sure whether the new iOS 6 features to disable alerts on the iPhone during a specified time period also work in the iPad. I'm hoping so.

14. jdusoccer12 macrumors regular

Do not disturb mode does work on the iPad. It is one of my favorite features on my iPad and iPhone with the iOS 6 beta.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Probably.

Yet I can't help but wonder, why users avoid the most obvious solution.

Why not go to http://www.apple.com/support/

Not only do they have the answer for the charging question, but if one is serious about getting the most out of their Apple products, you should be familiar with this site.

Apple has gone to a lot of effort to create this wonderful site for us. Why not use it?

16. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Mine turns back on automatically when I plug in the charger. Can't turn it off even if I want to.

17. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

18. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

+1 not 1+.
    1+ is mathematically and logically incorrect.

And as others have stated, if you're sleeping, then why does it matter if it's on or off? It doesn't really speed up the charging by a lot.

Personally, I don't turn off any of my electronic devices. My PC gets turned off when I'm going out for like a long time. Other than that there's no reason to turn them off, ESPECIALLY an iPad or even a phone for that matter.

Just leave it on. =)

19. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Are you sure about that? Other than when it is backing up to iCloud (what do you do about backups?) the difference should be negligible when it is sleeping compared to being off.

I just flip it over. I don’t have any alert sounds enabled, but back when I did, I just turned the sound down as well.

The Do Not Disturb feature in iOS 6 does work on the iPad as well.

If you plug it in and then turn it off, it will stay off when charging. I can’t think of any good reason why someone would do this though.

20. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

Even when you turn off, when you connect it comes on, there is no way to get off the iPad while connected, so it's a false sense that it charges faster

21. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

As Beta Particle already noted, if you plug it in then turn the power off, it will charge while it's off. But really, there's no point in doing so.

The whole turning off while charging is an old thing people used to do back in the days. I don't know why exactly, I've always kept my devices on for as long as I can remember.. Well other than those cathode ray tube monitors, cause they used to burn the image on the screen and what not.

22. xraytech macrumors 68020

- Plug in while the iPad is on
    - Hold down Sleep/Wake Button
    - Wait for "Slide to Power Off"
    - Slide to Power Off

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Plug it in and THEN turn it off.

24. danielceleste macrumors regular

Don't listen to these people, it charges way slower when it's off.