Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

78-bit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
Looks like you've managed to get yourself wrapped up in the hype and speculation, haven't you?

iOS 5 in an impressive and welcome update, even without Siri. iCloud and its integration looks excellent. iTunes Match, too. The internal hardware upgrades are substantial and, in some cases, class-leading.

Being disappointed because the screen isn't bigger or because external case design remains the same sounds like whining to me. I don't think either of those features necessarily make for a better experience. Apple clearly agrees.

I’m willing to call it now and confidentially predict the iPhone’s display remains 3.5” for many generations, if not permanently. Despite what many of you believe, the current dimensions make for the optimal one-handed experience. It is highly unlikely Apple will compromise usability for the sake of such superficial wow factor.

The rumors of a teardrop design, a bigger display, a this, a that; all of it based on unconfirmed speculation and most likely due to people trolling gullible third-party manufacturers.

Why did they hold the keynote on their campus? Likely due to an uncertain schedule due to unfinished software. Despite Apple’s clout, booking a large venue like Moscone requires advance planning. Apple wasn’t attempting to temper expectations or cater to Cook’s alleged inexperience at presenting.

Also, Cook’s transition to CEO has had zero impact on the launch of the iPhone 4S beyond the keynote. Devices are planned years in advance and Jobs very likely oversaw this launch from its genesis right up until the day he handed over the reigns.

Apple's only mistake, if you could call it that, is failing to announce the phone at this year's WWDC, alongside iOS 5 and iCloud. You’ve all seen it and you’re over it.

Having said that, the delay in announcing the iPhone has nothing to do with manufacturing problems or because of competitive litigation; it’s due to software -- iOS and iCloud. It behooves Apple to make certain both products are absolutely ready. They obviously don’t want another repeat of MobileMe.

The company has never played the game of specs. They aren’t interested. They don’t make products for you hyper-obsessed phone geeks; they make phones for average consumers. People who want their phone to work with no fuss. They want a polished, elegant, friendly experience. And that’s what they get.

You don’t understand Apple, the industry, the market, or your fellow consumers.

The only people who complain about the display size or physical design are the sort that always want the latest shiny thing. You’ll never be satisfied.

Enjoy your Android. For now. See you in June when Apple announces something new and shiny.

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nope, you're wrong and this will be reflected in sales figures. Expecting a larger screen is common sense not wanting something new and shiny.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You Said It All

Looks like you've managed to get yourself wrapped up in the hype and speculation, haven't you?

iOS 5 in an impressive and welcome update, even without Siri. iCloud and its integration looks excellent. iTunes Match, too. The internal hardware upgrades are substantial and, in some cases, class-leading.

Being disappointed because the screen isn't bigger or because external case design remains the same sounds like whining to me. I don't think either of those features necessarily make for a better experience. Apple clearly agrees.

I’m willing to call it now and confidentially predict the iPhone’s display remains 3.5” for many generations, if not permanently. Despite what many of you believe, the current dimensions make for the optimal one-handed experience. It is highly unlikely Apple will compromise usability for the sake of such superficial wow factor.

The rumors of a teardrop design, a bigger display, a this, a that; all of it based on unconfirmed speculation and most likely due to people trolling gullible third-party manufacturers.

Why did they hold the keynote on their campus? Likely due to an uncertain schedule due to unfinished software. Despite Apple’s clout, booking a large venue like Moscone requires advance planning. Apple wasn’t attempting to temper expectations or cater to Cook’s alleged inexperience at presenting.

Also, Cook’s transition to CEO has had zero impact on the launch of the iPhone 4S beyond the keynote. Devices are planned years in advance and Jobs very likely oversaw this launch from its genesis right up until the day he handed over the reigns.

Apple's only mistake, if you could call it that, is failing to announce the phone at this year's WWDC, alongside iOS 5 and iCloud. You’ve all seen it and you’re over it.

Having said that, the delay in announcing the iPhone has nothing to do with manufacturing problems or because of competitive litigation; it’s due to software -- iOS and iCloud. It behooves Apple to make certain both products are absolutely ready. They obviously don’t want another repeat of MobileMe.

The company has never played the game of specs. They aren’t interested. They don’t make products for you hyper-obsessed phone geeks; they make phones for average consumers. People who want their phone to work with no fuss. They want a polished, elegant, friendly experience. And that’s what they get.

The only people who complain about the display size or physical design are the sort that always want the latest shiny thing. You’ll never be satisfied.

Enjoy your Android. For now. See you in June when Apple announces something new and shiny.

And spare a though for BETA testers who, despite many PM's asking had to keep quiet about the newbie. Moral as I posted elsewhere? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Put up and shut up is another way of saying it I guess (I suspect incoming!)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself

Many of these people became Apple customers because of the build quality and attractive product design. It's perhaps unsurprising they might be a tad disappointed that after waiting 16 months all Apple has given them are a bunch of internal improvements that they can't see or show off.

Mobile phones have been fashion accessories for a long time now, long before Apple entered this market. Specs have rarely registered on the radar for consumers, it's all about the looks. Phones go out of fashion almost as quickly as the clothes in your wardrobe.

It's also a complete myth to suggest Apple has never played the game of specs. You only have to look at Apple.com and pretty much every product has pretty detailed specifications listed. Apple has used specs comparisons to beat their competitors on countless occasions in events like yesterday's. Also Apple spent what little time they devoted to discussing the iPhone 4S going through a bunch of specs and geeky terminology. :D

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Lol, how clumsy, you seem to have posted on Macrumours rather than on your personal blog. Hopefully you can fix this little mixup OP.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009

Haha...those two sentences put together by an Apple fan in an argument is amusing.

So, neither Apple, the industry, the market nor the consumers care about physical design or display size?

Where have you been? Smaller iPods, bigger iMacs, smaller MBAs, bragging about weight and thickness specs, etc...

After today, it seems like Apple's at a point now where it seems like it ONLY cares about the people who want the next shiny thing.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

Funny how we don't want the new shiny iPhone... Maybe we want a bigger screen for functional reasons. I want one cos my hands are too freaking big for a 3.5" screen, but it seems the thought that people can have different needs never crossed your mind. When you post like a know-it-all, it helps to know what you are talking about.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
"but if i upgrade from my iPhone 4 to 4S how will people in the street no that i have the most recent phone"

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

:rolleyes:

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
The company has never played the game of specs. They aren’t interested..

So apple was just talking out of their asses when they talked about how the A5 chip being seven times faster with dual core graphics with an 8 megapixel camera.

Sorry, but specs do matter. Any apple fan who says specs don't matter wouldn't need to upgrade to an iPhone 4S if that were true.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
So apple was just talking out of their asses when they talked about how the A5 chip being seven times faster with dual core graphics with an 8 megapixel camera.

Sorry, but specs do matter. Any apple fan who says specs don't matter wouldn't need to upgrade to an iPhone 4S if that were true.

Apple only compare specs with their own products and not for a cock waiving contest.

Its good to see that progress is being made but they certainly don't do it to get one up on the competition.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Apple only compare specs with their own products and not for a cock waiving contest.

Its good to see that progress is being made but they certainly don't do it to get one up on the competition.

Did you not see the charts comparing the iPhone 4S' camera and data speeds to other phones in today's presentation? Yes, those count as specs. :confused:

78-bit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
It's not about specs. It's about the intangible. It's about the little things. The stuff you take for granted. The ease, elegance, the simplicity. All of those things make for a more rewarding user experience and you're too thick to notice.

MHz and GB and faster this and faster that is there for you "can't see the forest for the trees" types. You need something tangible to determine value. X is bigger than Y, so it must be better and I want it.

The iPhone and iPad, indeed Apple, is bigger than that.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
It's not about specs. Apple, is bigger than that.

I know right. Can you imagine if they had done that at their event today?

iphone-4s-speed-chart-600w.jpg
gsmarena_001.jpg

ripper998

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
yup, and from what I see in those pictures is the iPhone is still king over the precious Galaxy S2 and other droid phones.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
I'm starting to think the OP's love for anything Apple is starting to get just a little bit creepy....

78-bit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
I know right. Can you imagine if they had done that at their event today?

iphone-4s-speed-chart-600w.jpg
gsmarena_001.jpg

Does your mother or your sister or your boss ask how if the phone's CPU is dual-core? Do they consider maximum data speeds when shopping for a phone? No. They pick up a device, toy with it briefly and get a feel for it. They run it over in their hands. They feel for buttons and edges. They hold it one-handed.

They're assessing it and making judgements in ways they aren't aware.

Those things they assign value to subconsciously are lost on lesser manufacturers. It's why we see devices with giant screens, unresponsive UI, and poor battery life.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Does your mother or your sister or your boss ask how if the phone's CPU is dual-core? Do they consider maximum data speeds when shopping for a phone? No. They pick up a device, toy with it briefly and get a feel for it. They run it over in their hands. They feel for buttons and edges. They hold it one-handed.

No, they're boasting shutter speed and data speed. Don't try bring mothers and sisters and bosses into this, there was a claim that Apple don't bother with specs, so I provided evidence that they do and they boast about it too. I don't shop by specs, but it's still interesting to know a phones specs. I agree that feel is very important, which makes me question what Apple was thinking when they kept the harsh edges of the iPhone 4.

EDIT: More specs.
b8ee4261-e7d5-4107-8496-c20ff6e36635-1.jpeg

iphone4SA5.jpg

36-apple-event.jpg
34-apple-event.jpg

Last edited:

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
It's not about specs. It's about the intangible. It's about the little things. The stuff you take for granted. The ease, elegance, the simplicity. All of those things make for a more rewarding user experience and you're too thick to notice.

MHz and GB and faster this and faster that is there for you "can't see the forest for the trees" types. You need something tangible to determine value. X is bigger than Y, so it must be better and I want it.

The iPhone and iPad, indeed Apple, is bigger than that.

The ease, elegance and simplicity? User experience? Apparently, you're arguing for something that hasn't even been released yet and, therefore, something you've never even used. In other words, you're spouting your opinion about something completely intangible to you. :rolleyes:

For all you know the iPhone 4S and iOS 5 could run like complete crap.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

Those things they assign value to subconsciously are lost on lesser manufacturers. It's why we see devices with giant screens, unresponsive UI, and poor battery life.

So what's the point of an iPhone 4S then if your mother, sister or boss doesn't care? If they ran the iPhone 4S over with their hands to get a feel for the buttons and edges, wouldn't it just be the same thing with last years phone since nothings changed?

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I'm starting to think the OP's love for anything Apple is starting to get just a little bit creepy....

*Playing the fanboy-card alert!*

The OP is making absolutely reasonable points devoid of hyperbole or exaggeration.
What baffles me is that people never learn. After any Apple keynote/event, it's typical to see childish naysaying whiners/trolls/apple-bashers invading this kind forum and the whole tech blogosphere like werewolves coming out on a moonless night:

iPhone launch: "Duh, who wants a keyboard-less handset? That's the dumbest thing ever! {There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance. (Steve Ballmer)}. Apple is doomed!"​

iPad launch: "Uuuurrggghhh! It's just a giant iPod Touch. Who will need that? Apple is doomed!"​

Back to the Mac: "Bwaaah! Mac is dumbed-down, anyway it's overpriced and irrelevant. Apple is doomed!"​

WWDC 2011 and later OS X Lion Launch: "Boooo! Nothing groundbreaking in Lion, buggy as hell, it's Apple's Vista. And iOS 5 is just ripping off what already exists everywhere. It's a dead end. Apple is doomed!"​

Meanwhile in the real world, it's success after success:
:apple: iPhone is the World's #1 Smartphone;
:apple: iPad sells like hotcakes and goes unchallenged, competitors give up one after the other on the elusive "tablet market";
:apple: the Mac consistently outgrows the PC market and now sports a 23% market-share in the US.

The pattern will continue with iPhone 4S, it will have record-sales and Siri will blow the World's mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.