White bezels on the Pro are distracting!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tkmcguire1, Dec 4, 2015.

1. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

I don't know if I'm the only one but I just exchanged my gold IPP for Space gray and the difference is night and day,now the screen looks beautiful and colors stand out where with the white bezels it looked dull and not at all what a qhd+screen should look like.
    It's like the white bezels where distracting and made the overall screen just look washed out. I definitely notice a difference.
    Anyone else exchange theirs or think the black bezels look better? Sure I loved the gold color ,if only it came with black bezels:)

2. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

I feel the exact same way. I got my iPad 3 in white because I loved the white color and was very tempted by the gold iPad pro. I just absolutely couldn't get over the thin little black border between the screen and the bezel. It was distracting enough to degrade feelings of immersion. I also agree with the perception that colors aren't are vibrant with the white. Of course, that's only a visual trick but still.

So, I forever swore off the white bezel no matter how tempted I am by the gold. Butttttttttttt, black and gold iPad I would drool over. I've seen some mockups, it looks delicious.

3. KimHansenDK, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015

KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

4. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

hasnt bothered me personally.

i changed from a black bezeled normal ipad to a white bezeled Pro. a nice change too :)
    i use my Pro in a darkened office so dont notice the bezel, particularly against the glaring screen.

5. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

I love my gold Pro, no issues. Also no fingerprints on the bezel, which is nice.

6. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

I have always gone white since the first white iPhone, looks much better to me than black and no fingerprints!

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

For a variety of reasons I find the black bezel superior to the white.

When watching videos fullscreen, any letterboxing or pillarboxing "disappears" with a black bezel. They stand out with a white one.

When viewing photos, the black allows the eye to perceive subtle changes in color, the white distracts the eye.

As for glare, in equal lighting conditions, the white will reflect MORE light cause more glare but because it is more difficult to see the "hot spot" of the light it gives the appears of LESS glare.

The color of the case should only be of importance if you plan on (A) using the device without a case and (B) will spend more time looking at the back than at the front. :p

8. tkmcguire1 thread starter macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

My iPad before the pro was a 64gb gold iPad Air 2,I've had an iPad since the 1st one and have switched back and forth,the white bezels never bothered me before,but on this big screen the pro has for some reason really were distracting especially during videos.
    Each person has different likes,preferences and choices for me the space gray with black bezels is absolutely beautiful and shows the screen off.
    Very happy I exchanged :)

9. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

To me, white bezels are distracting period. But that is all my wife will have.

10. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I have always found this to be true of any device, not just the iPad Pro. Every time I have tried a device with a white bezel I have hated it. Why would anyone want a reflective frame around a screen? I don't understand the appeal at all.

11. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Are white walls behind the television distracting as well?

The bezels are not distracting to me. I've gone with the white iPhones and iPads for the past 2-3 years and love it. Used to always sport the black as I assumed it was distracting until I actually tried the white. Not to say I won't ever go back to black, but it won't be because I find white distracting. I guess it varies per person.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Actually, yes they are. That is why when I watch videos I dim the lights so that the TV is brighter than the walls (none of which are white).

It's one of the reason why movie theaters have dark/black walls rather than white walls. ;)

Yes it does vary by person.

13. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Just goes to show how people are different and how perception influences opinion.

One of my large screen TVs is in the brightest room in my house-full of windows- and I never dim the lights (or shut the blinds until it gets dark outside)to watch it. White walls behind it.

14. cardfan macrumors 65816

That's fine. Some can't perceive laggy phones or can tell the difference between low and high definition screens. Ignorance is bliss.

15. sparksd macrumors 6502a

On my Air 2, I don't find it distracting at all and I really like it.

16. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Actually bias light behind a TV (with neutral white wall) is a great viewing experience.

This is different than viewing a projected image on to a screen (ala movie theater) where ambient light washes out the image.

When viewing in a dark room the bias light helps the eye mitigate the stark contrast between a bright screen and the edge of the darkness.

17. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't compare the color preference to the inability to perceive laggy phones and definition. Clearly there's difference.

Ignorance for a color preference and its perception? Hardly.

18. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Exactly how I have my TV set up, too.

19. rgarjr, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The white bezel distractions thing is all first world problems. :D

20. Leo90, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015

Leo90 macrumors 6502

That's why all my iDevices are Space Grey/Black. White frontplates are so distracting!

UPDATE: I bought an iPad Mini Gold and I have to say that for that form factor the white is not an issue for me

21. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

Some like apples - some like oranges. Move on...

22. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

There really is no right or wrong answer here. Buy the one you prefer and go with it, it's all good. That's why there are color choices.

23. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I prefer the white to the black, but my partner likes the black better. It makes it easy for us to tell the devices apart. I tried the black on the ipad 4 and hated it. My phone and ipad pro are both white and I can't see me trying the black again.

24. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Since most of us buying iPad Pros live in first world countries, I guess that makes sense.

25. Leo90 macrumors 6502

I guess this nomenclature is no longer suitable. I guess pretty much everywhere you find "first" and "third" world countries