White House Reportedly Interested in Developing 'Counter-Weight' to Europe's GDPR Privacy Laws

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jun 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last month, Europe implemented its General Data Protection Regulation in an effort to protect the data of all individuals within the European Union, with some aspects affecting users worldwide. According to a new report by Axios, the White House is "in the early stages" of figuring out what a federal approach to online data privacy would look like in the United States.

So far, special assistant to President Trump on tech, telecom, and cyber policy Gail Slater has met with industry groups about the issue. Discussions include possible "guardrails" for the use of personal data online, according to a few sources familiar with the talks. Furthermore, Slater has talked about the implementation of GDPR with Dean Garfield, CEO of the Information Technology Industry Council, which represents tech companies like Apple and Google.

[​IMG]
    Image via Wikimedia Commons

Slater and the Trump administration have reportedly referred to the U.S. proposal as a "counter-weight to GDPR," aimed at ensuring that the European law doesn't become the global standard of online privacy, sources said. Still, Slater also stated that there is no desire to create a "U.S. clone" of the European rules.

Axios theorized that one possible outcome from the conversations could be an executive order that leads to the development of a privacy framework for U.S. citizens.
    News about the potential new privacy practices comes as "pressure" is being placed on lawmakers in the U.S., following high-profile data breaches like the Facebook/Cambridge Analytica scandal. Beginning with reports in March, it was discovered that Facebook was connected with consulting firm Cambridge Analytica, which itself was tied to Trump's 2016 presidential campaign. Using a survey app called "This Is Your Digital Life," the firm secretly amassed data from millions of Facebook users that targeted and attempted to sway votes in the election.

Slater claimed that "giving consumers more control over their data" and "more access to their data" are high marks of the GDPR, suggesting these aspects would be emphasized in the U.S. law.
    In the wake of GDPR, Apple itself launched a new Data & Privacy website that lets users download all of the data associated with their Apple ID. While the feature was limited to Apple accounts registered in the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland at launch, Apple said it will roll out the service worldwide "in the coming months."

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: White House Reportedly Interested in Developing 'Counter-Weight' to Europe's GDPR Privacy Laws

2. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

For some reason I do not trust the US with formulating privacy laws. For a modern western country I think they are some of the worst offenders when it comes to disrespect it.

3. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I don’t trust any “privacy” framework created by the government...

4. Dave-Z macrumors 6502

Trump's privacy policy will include free access to all information, no encryption, and of course a consent form to release custody of your children to the government*.

*Kidding... Obviously they won't ask for permission.

5. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

I am sure they won’t mind copying our proposed „upload filter“ BS though LOL

6. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502

While it's easy and reasonable to disagree on the details, the idea of a core, globally applicable set of individual privacy standards would make the underlying security processes far easier... and thus more effective. Too often companies have to implement different sets of controls for each region, making such development more difficult and prone to error.

Now... who should set that standard? Good question. It's going to have to come from a combination of industry leadership - both technology and consumer - and governments. Many people will balk at government involvement - and I don't generally disagree with the premise - but the reality is that without such participation there will be no mandate or enforcement.

GDPR is actually a great start and could, IMO, be leveraged. After all, most companies are already taking requisite measures... so there is little to no additional cost with significant benefit to the rest of the world.

7. mmcneil macrumors regular

mmcneil

I would prefer the European standard become the de facto standard.

8. wizard macrumors 68040

That is pretty ignorant considering how much the current administration has been impacted by the lack of a respect for privacy. In any event i trust government here more than i trust corporate America, especially the likes of Facebook, Googoe and similar platforms hell bent on censorship, political manipulation and general manipulation of thier users.

At least with government regulation you can yell at your Congressman. The CEO's at some of these companies are absolutly hostile to their users and the idea that they have opinions.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No we'll have encryption. Just all companies must furnish the FBI with a copy of the private keys because "let's think of the children!"

10. SnarkyBear macrumors regular

SnarkyBear

And I trust the government less than corporations...at least I can choose to NOT interact with Google, Apple, etc. The government can pretty much force you to do its bidding, like it or not. And I have little doubt that my 1 voiced of the millions of people represented by my congressman will have any impact.

[Edit] saying I trust the government less than corporations doesn't mean I have any trust with the corporations. I don't have much trust with either one.

11. chown33 macrumors 604

It will still come down to enforcement.

Even the best and most thoughtful laws or rules will be worthless if there aren't meaningful consequences that happen in a timely and predictable way. If the consequences are just a minor cost of doing business selling data, then they'll be irrelevant.

12. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

But you cannot elect their leadership.

Also, how much choice do you have with your Internet provider? Do you choose not to have Internet?

13. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

Copying the Obama policy and following the law in Flores vs Reno (Clinton AG, 9th US Circuit Ct of Appeals). But the uninformed miss that.

14. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

I'm all for data privacy. However, to me, when it comes to GDPR, it seems ludicrous, and quite illegal, that any business in any country outside the EU should be beholden to any policy passed by the EU. EU law should have ZERO legitimacy outside of the EU. Otherwise, what's to stop any country/countries from setting international law all on their own. Crazy.

IMO, if EU citizens want to use services operated or hosted outside the EU that collect data, they do so at their own risk and without the protections or guarantees of GDPR. Simple as that.

15. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I'm certain this will somehow either strengthen legal backing for corporations to collect our data or enable corporations to collect more data than ever before. And in typical fashion they will say that this law is the opposite of what it really is and tout it as privacy for all!

16. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

Companies can feel free not to do business with EU citizens and processors.

That may be your opinion, but it's not the law.

17. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

If you want to do business in a country then you follow their rules. Doesn't matter if it's a foreign-based company or not. The alternative choice is to not do business in that country, and obviously these companies have chosen not to do that because quite frankly that would be a financially stupid decision. Conversely, foreign-based companies operating in the U.S. also have to follow U.S. law. This isn't a new concept so I'm not sure why you're acting as such.

18. jimothyGator macrumors regular

jimothyGator

That sounds reasonable, but it’s not so simple. You could be running a one person shop on the web, say selling handmade goods. Most of your customers, and all of your marketing, may be US based. If a European customer happens upon your site, you’re now doing business in the EU. You’re not a lawyer, an EU regulation expert, or a software development expert. You’re just an artist with something to sell. And now you’ve found yourself in violation of laws in place you don’t live or even think about.

19. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

What you're referring to is the notion of physical nexus - that if something is beyond the physical border of a nation, that it's beyond the reach of that nation's laws. This could be considered "playground logic" - perfectly fine for a game of tag, but not at all practical in today's world. We can't force governments to operate as if it was still the 12th Century in the face of 21st Century realities.

Do countries have a right to govern the properties of physical goods sold within their borders (safety, content labeling, standards compliance, import duties, etc.)? Clearly, they do. Why, then, would they lack authority for other types of goods and services consumed within their borders?

The US has a variety of laws governing what companies and individuals can do on the Internet (such as COPA, the Child Online Protection Act), and plenty of web sites headquartered beyond the US borders comply with those terms in order to reach US citizens. Those companies are not obligated to extend COPA rules to citizens of other nations, but they often do, as its easier and cheaper to do so (and may even seem politic). GDPR is no different.

The Internet is by its very name international. To think a worldwide phenomenon can only be governed by a single nation's laws or values (or operate entirely beyond the reach of law) is naive.

20. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

Again, this isn't a new thing, things have worked this way for a long time.

In any case, if a small one-person shop unwittingly commits some violation, unless it's particularly egregious it's most likely going to go unnoticed simply because nobody will be paying attention to it. And if someone were to notice, they don't have any assets in the country where they committed the violation. This means they would be exceedingly unlikely to face any real repercussions from the violation; it's not like they're going to have an extradition order enforced against them for something likely to be so trivial.

21. ActionableMango, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018

ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Post-GDPR, Marcel Freinbichler tested the effect of going to the USA Today page as if he were from the EU and again as if he were from the USA.

When he went to USA Today's main page from the EU:
    • All the tracking scripts and ads are removed
    • The size is about 0.5MB
    • It loads in about 3 seconds
    • There are 0 Javascript
    • There are 34 HTTP requests
    When he went to USA Today's main page from the USA:
    • The size is about 5.2MB (uses 10x more data from your data plan)
    • It loads in about 45 seconds (15x longer load time)
    • There are 124 Javascripts (these use the CPU, slowing down your device and using up your battery)
    • There are 500 HTTP requests
    I don't like trackers and ads--I sort of begrudgingly accept them. But I think we mostly assume there are a couple of trackers and a couple of ads and it's no big deal. But HUNDREDS? 466 more HTTP requests and 124 Javascripts??? They are using up your battery and your data plan.

At least USA Today works. I've been to some websites loaded down with so much crap that the page just becomes literally unusable.

22. trusso macrumors regular

Counter-weight? Or complement? Those two words imply very different ideas.

Vocabulary is important, kids. ;)

23. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It's the US Gub'ment. When they say counter weight, they mean counter weight.
    [​IMG]
    They're the same people who want a back door into our phones/devices.