White iPad 2 paint issues

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrMac'n'Cheese, Apr 9, 2011.

1. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Is anyone else having the issue of the white iPad 2 paint chipping, peeling or degrading?

I have attached a picture of my iPad's issue.

Keep in mind this is my second iPad 2, my first replacement, because my first had a bunch of dead pixels.

I'm done with apple and their faulty white paint.

My question is, should I wait and see if the issue worsen?

Also, will the paint issue qualify my iPad for an exchange/swap.

Ideally, I'd prefer to switch for a black one, same carrier Ver. and capacity 64GB.

I originally bought from B&H photo online, however after my first swap, I got a receipt from apple, from the exchange, I still have both receipts.

If they will not swap it, can I do a return to the apple store itself, with the receipt from the swap, which has until April 13th for return, or will they do a no receipt return

Given they do not swap, is my best option to do a no receipt return and just repurchase a BLACK verizon 64GB model.

Anyone with experience with Apple store or any Apple employees here pease help.

Attached Files:

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

How can the paint chip, if it's completely covered by the glass? Or do you mean the seal between the glass and the aluminium?

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Relax, just take it back if you have a store close, if not call them, speak nicely,explain the problem, and Apple will take care of it, it's covered by a YEARS warranty, but you didn't need to post here, and have me tell you that:rolleyes:

4. MrMac'n'Cheese, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011

MrMac'n'Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

I dont know how, but the paint is breaking away/loosening one way or another.

I keep my iPad like a baby, it has not been dropped or any other kind of user-neglect.

No need for rude sarcasm, this is an Apple forum, for people to ask Apple related questions, if you have nothing nice to say/contribute, do not contribute at all:cool:

5. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

If when you swapped your iPad out in the Apple store they put the amount of the iPad onto a gift card and then used the gift card in order to pay for the iPad on there system then the only option in getting a refund you have is a bank transfer as it will not let them refund the money directly back onto your card. The bank transfer can take up to 10 days (Can be quicker with some banks).I just had to do this today when I returned mine for a refund after I had my first one replaced.

Seen as though you are going to purchase a new black one then if they have any in stock they should just be able to swap it out for you without having to get refunded etc. If they have none in stock then you could just get them to refund the amount onto a gift card then use that to purchase the black iPad when they have them in stock if you don't mind waiting for that.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

From having worked at Apple p/t for the last few years, managers seem to get tighter with the "no receipt returns" policies as the number of days after a launch increase. It is not normal policy to accept a return of a product purchased from another vendor (like B&H). Normally the only option is to have the product replaced via the Genius Bar warranty route, and they normally will only do replacement of the same model.

However, if they gave you a legit sales receipt from your last visit there (i.e. it's not a Genius Bar receipt), you should be able to return the entire iPad (box + iPad + accessories), and purchase another model, paying the price difference. This process doesn't involve the Genius Bar -- any sales person on the floor should be able to do it. If they don't have the model you want in stock, you'd have to take a refund and wait til they get more stock in, though.

7. MrMac'n'Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Thank you Ross and aristobrat.

I am done with white Apple products >.<

I prefer to just return it if they allow it with my receipt from the swap, if that's the only way I could get a Black model.

My question is, about the amount in question, they refund the full 829.99 or whatever it is, right? (I have the 64GB 3G model).

Then when I repurchase a black one, will I have to pay taxes on it?

Buying from B&H I didn't have to pay taxes.

They wouldn't just swap me a black model like an exchange vs. having to do a return?

It's seeming like a straight-up return is the best route and then just buying a black one.

8. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Do you have a screen protector? That looks more likely to be the issue to me, based on your image.

9. MrMac'n'Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Like i said this iPad has been babied, and even if it was not, a quality product should not be releasing/loosing paint whether it's the screen or the seal, with or without a film or shield. I do have a GA on the back, but that's beside the point.

My iPhone 4 has been without a shield or case since launch and it's like new, no paint issues or issues in general, maybe the rush to launch iPad 2 is to blame

10. Blarneystone macrumors member

I am not sure how the paint would chip like that. I am not exactly babying mine but I see no chips. It's worth showing it to the genius bar though.

11. ani23 macrumors 6502

I don't get it. If your iPad is white why does the bezel look black?

12. rovex macrumors 65816

The quality control has to be the worst of any apple product. The iPhone 4 didn't have many problems.

13. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Are you sure you don't want to rethink that? ... Think carefully :p

14. rovex macrumors 65816

Yeah, literally every single iPad 2 owner has some sort of bleeding issue, and many others have chaps, scratches and dead pixels. By far the worst QC.

15. madat42 macrumors regular

From the photo, it looks like something has left white paint on the edge of the glass. Has it been in case? I had the Yoobao case and it left black stains on my iPad 2's edge.

16. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I disagree. Millions of these devices were sold. If this was a 'serious' problem, there would of been a recall. You obviously only hear from the people that are having problems, but that goes for anything. Why would someone complain if they had no issues. There are millions of people that are perfectly happy with their iPad 2. The iPhone 4 had many more serious problems. One being the proximity sensor. It made the phone almost impossible to make a call with. You were either trying to FaceTime them, put them on hold/mute/speaker or hanging up.

17. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

A recall? When was the last time Apple made a recall? I know of people who are still getting their 2006/2007 MBP fixed, out of warranty, because of faulty GPU's. There are also people that are getting their 2006 + MacBook's top covers replaced, out of warranty, because of cracking. None of these models have been recalled. Oh, then there's the iPhone 4. Apple is great at replacing faulty products, but recalls, come on!?!?

18. rovex, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011

rovex macrumors 65816

the proximity sensor was a software issue I believe, which was corrected through a firmware update. you see, the average person won't have a clue if their device has bleeding issues, and fair enough, it's not that easy to notice. And the other half even if they did find out they would just put up with it. I consider this a serious issue, antennagate was not serious.

I can guarantee you 95% of all iPads out there will have some sort of defect, be it bleeding, dead pixels, chaps or scratches. A guy here went in an apple and opened 7 iPads and neither one was perfect, let's add that into the mix. That's not right.

No questions here, Apple will never do a recall of anything. Only if it was hazardous i.e batteries exploding.

19. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Yeah but what you mentioned above are just small things that could easily be fixed. You would never recall a product for that. But when someone is listing 4-5 possible 'serious' problems with a product, I don't get how you would think a recall is crazy. It would cost Apple more money in fixing the product then it would cost them in just giving out a brand new one. Obviously there won't be a recall because I personally don't think these issues are serious, and mine have had no problems at all. But I was referring to how the previous poster was making these issues seem serious.

20. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

A faulty GPU is a small problem?

21. rovex macrumors 65816

Sorry, but most things I've listed are serious relatively speaking. Opening up a brand new iPad with some say bleeding + multiple dead pixels + scratches/ chaps is no joke.

22. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

Looks like dirt or lint to me my white has no chips, I can't even see how it could chip as it has glass over it?

23. djc6 macrumors 6502

+1 I'm thoroughly confused as well. I have a white iPad, I can't figure out what area of the iPad is in the photo.

24. MrMac'n'Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

That's really helpful, first time I've seen or heard of white-colored dirt -__-*facepalm*

The white paint/whatever it is, is where the seal meets the glass, in no moment did I say it had paint loose UNDER the glass -___-.

Honestly don't have a clue why people post if they are going to criticize/not add anything of value to the discussion, keep it moving people.

I do not have 20/20 but even I can tell it's the front of the iPad, if you can't tell the front of an iPad from the back you need some ophthalmological assitance;)

25. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Me neither. The OP needs to attach another photo. The one now is too magnified to tell which is what.