White iPad: First Hand Video and Reading Experiences?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JoelMarcey, Mar 13, 2011.

1. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

I have seen a bunch of threads about how the white iPad would be a bad experience (on the eyes or whatever) for:

1. Reading
    2. Watching Movies (the whole TVs don't have white boarders but black ones argument).

But I have yet to see any first hand experiences of using the White iPad to do those things.

In my case, I watched some of a video on it, and I didn't find it too distracting at all. I haven't watched in a fully dark room or anything, but my eyes seemed to stay focused on the screen and not the bezel.

I am just curious if there are more real-world anecdotes for the white iPad.

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Some members are being ridiculous. I find it mildly gentler on the eyes...

Happy people don't make YouTube videos showing positive things for the most part..at least they are in a disproportionate minority. If you like white, get it..it's nice.

3. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I haven't noticed any difference between the two. From my personal experience its been blown way out of proportion.

4. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

5. CrosshairDF2 macrumors member

6. JoelMarcey thread starter macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

I was thinking about something like that. Surely someone is going to come out with an interchangeable "bezel" so one can go from black to white and vice-versa. :)

7. CrosshairDF2 macrumors member

I'd like a silver bezel to match the back. :D

8. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

It has nothing to do with it being "a bad experience.". It has everything to do with perceived contrast.

Side by side, showing the same video, at the same brightness setting, an iPad (or any device) with a black bezel, will have a Niger perceived contrast than one with a white bezel.

It's a simple principle of optical physics and cannot be argued.

Looking at a white bezel'd model by itself may not seem bad at all or in any way. But side by side you'd perceive that the image inside the black bezel had more punch and depth. And that's due to the perceived contrast effect.

Notice that Amazon now sells the kindle only in that almost-black slate gray?

9. jay12 macrumors member

Thats racist.:p

10. sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

I love my "white" and I would love a "black" one too but even if I watch a movie or two or three a week and no matter how good the ipad 2 is black or white it will never replace my 55" Tv for movie watching.

People have a lot of time on their hands and good for them. But if they lived in Japan they wouldnt give a care about what color their bezel was.

Just my 2 cents.

11. Rdclark macrumors newbie

No, because they don't.

12. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Why would I be watching two iPads side by side? Any judgements made on perceived contrast would need to take the image being displayed into account. If the image is darker there would be more perceived contrast against a white background than a black one. With a lighter image the situation would be reversed.

a scientific observation that can't be argued? That doesn't sound like the scientific method I know. In fact it sounds more like religious dogma.

I'm guessing that Amazon changed to color of the Kindle for aesthetic reasons. Has anyone seen a single report of a Kindle being returned because there was too much contrast between the bezel and the text.

13. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Perception doesn't vary by individual and that can't be argued?

Well anyway...even if there's a perceived contrast difference..how many of you use the iPad on highest brightness? If not, turn it up..

Otoh, the same could be said about the vast majority of white web pages, when one may not want that contrast but a gentler transition.

Te whole thing is bloody ridiculous, as are the absolute opinions expressed as fact.

14. Jerastan macrumors newbie

You know, at one time the big thing from Apple, in regards to the iPad, was the fact that it "just disappeared, in your hands. I've had the black and now I own the white. The white has the same "disappearing" effect while doing tasks w/ white pages/backgrounds. So... it just depends on what you're doing. Love mine and couldn't imagine not having this exact one.

15. CrosshairDF2, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

CrosshairDF2 macrumors member

16. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I have a black iPad and a white iPad 2, and I do not see any "perceived" difference in contrast, color, brightness, etc because of the color difference. The white bezel on the iPad 2 is fantastic, not at all distracting. Remember, it doesn't emit white light, so it's not hard on the eyes at all. It's also not very reflective, so you don't get distracting reflections or glare at all.