White iPhone 4 Owners: Is Your Screen Tinted Blue or Yellow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dubthedankest, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

Hey,

Anyone that picked up a white iPhone 4 in the last day or so - is the LCD on your phone slightly blueish/whitish or more yellowish? I have a black iPhone 4 here and a white iPhone 4 and my black one's screen is nice and bright and white/blue whereas the white phone's LCD is more yellowish (and looks kind of washed out in my opinion). Just curious as to what anyone else is seeing and if there are any white iPhone owners with blue LCDs out there.

It seems that iLounge found the same thing on their white unit and seems to think that the yellow LCDs are in all the new devices (the CDMA iPhone & now the white phones). That's too bad as I really like the blue.

There are some good examples of blue vs yellow LCDs here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1058035

Thanks.

2. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

3. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

My black iPhone 4 looks blue. My girlfriends white iPhone 4 looks more white. I like the more white more than blue.

4. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

millions of iphones = variations in screen quality

without an objective look of various different phones it's impossible to say which screen is closer to white because what is white?

[​IMG]

to one person it could be 5000k, to another it could be 4300k.

5. infam0uz macrumors regular

infam0uz

After a few hours of playing around, i decided to put my 3gs next to the iphone 4 (white) and noticed the 3GS had a natural normal color (blue) then the new one has a yellowish tint color.. not sure if i should care or not, but im not really crazy over the yellow tint, should i be asking for an replacement with a blue screen, or all the newer iphones have em?

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Keep it, the white ones ive seen don't have a blue tint. You can always try but it will be a back and forth thing.

7. infam0uz macrumors regular

infam0uz

Heres a pic I took, I had the Ipad2 Placed so we could see all the color comparisons..

ull notice a difference..

[​IMG]

Im guessing its not a big deal and not to worry about it.

8. samven582 macrumors 6502a

That looks terrible

9. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Mines tinted yellow when compared to my 3GS. Probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't had them side by side.

I guess it'll be fixed in a software update.

10. samven582 macrumors 6502a

not software can fix this.

11. sparkyms macrumors 65816

You say that but I remember when the 3G came out it had a yellowy tint and that was definitely tweaked in a sw update.

12. jctevere macrumors 6502

I too have realized that the LCD screens used in the white iPhone 4 is of noticeably "crappier" quality than LCD screens on black iPhone 4's... Perhaps due to issues in Japan or with suppliers?

The colors just seem to "pop" less, and when scrolling, it seems the refresh rate isn't as good and I "think" I can see lines. But the pixels are so small it is hard to tell. It just doesn't look as good as the original retina displays used in the black iPhone 4's IMO, and the difference definitely is noticeable...

13. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I went through a number of black iPhone 4 replacements last month that were all this new yellow screen. I think it's the new panel they're using and not a defect based on the number I've seen.

14. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

As far as I can tell mine is fine. I haven't had a chance to compare it to my fiance's but I'm activating hers later tonight so I'll compare them then. I'm not really worried about it though.

15. samven582 macrumors 6502a

looks like you have scan lines and yellow tinted screen. I would make a appointment with the genius bar.

16. dr.devious macrumors regular

dr.devious

Just picked up a white iPhone 4 last night. Sitting next to my black iPhone 4 bought in December the white one has a noticeably less contrast and is much "warmer" or "yellow." I got it at the AT&T Store, will they exchange or will they refer me to the Genius Bar?

17. Dubthedankest thread starter macrumors regular

I'm still trying to find out if any white units with the "cool" white/blue display even exist. Seems like all the new phones are using the "warmer" panel. I'm gonna hit up the demo units at my local Apple store and see if they all use yellow/warm panels as well.

18. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Same here, no "yellow" tint on screen - side by side with old 3G.:apple:

19. dr.devious macrumors regular

dr.devious

Keep us posted...I am tempted to keep my black one and sell the white or return it...

20. Dubthedankest thread starter macrumors regular

I believe the 3G's had a yellow tint as well though (http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/12/iphone-3g-and-firmware-2-0-the-day-after/) not sure if it then went whiter/cooler again for the 3GS or what. Comparing it against a black 4 from early in the release cycle would be the ideal candidate to compare against.

21. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

If the screen on your new iPhone or iPad is consistently warmer (yellower) or cooler (bluer) than your previous one, that's not a defect. The color temperature of the screen is just different from your previous model, and unfortunately these devices don't have the tweakability of the temperature like iMac and MBP monitors do. You are probably not going to get the Apple Store to exchange your device, and if you do it probably won't make much difference.

If, however, the color temperature varies on the same screen (i.e., it's only warmer on the bottom half), then you might have an issue (or its the glue problem from the iPhone 4 launch that will go away in time).

22. Dubthedankest thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not saying it's a defect per se, just that if two different panels do exist cool/blue and warm/yellow on the white phone then I would like to try and acquire a cool/blue one. I understand that would perhaps be difficult to do through the Genius bar but on the flip side Apple's customer service is stellar and I want to be truly happy with my significant purchase and I've heard of/seen people get exchanges for far more ridiculous supposed issues.

Maybe the warm/yellow is endemic to the manufacturing process of the white phone or Apple thought a yellow display looked better with the white phone. Who knows. I just wanna confirm existence of a cool/blue panel on the white phone.

23. Dubthedankest thread starter macrumors regular

24. infam0uz macrumors regular

infam0uz

So which one looks more terrible? :p

25. infam0uz macrumors regular

infam0uz

For the hell of it, i went into the ATT Store to ask the guy about it and i told him the problem about the iphones having a little bit of a different color tone and explained mine looks yellowish and warm colored, he suggested it was the "Factory Film Protector" that i left on my iphone that caused it, and he pulled it up and was like, removing that would work and it still looks yellow when lifted. Maybe just doesnt know anything about it or never heard of it..

I guess ill have to try a different store and see what they suggest. The Yellowish is kinda annoying me now.