Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmvguy83

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
This is just simple review of white iphone 4 conversion kit from zeetron

I ordered the kit, and they overnighted the kit for me wo extra shipping charge. They forgot to ship me the HOME button, on the first shipping, so quick phone call fixed that, and overnighted me the HOME button for me.

Here are some pics, keep in mind, i ordered 2x kits
(pictures were taken with iphone 4, with HDR enabled)
IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

Note the different color white on two rears
IMG_0337.jpg

Testing Front #2
IMG_0330.jpg

Seems like build quality is good.
Fitment is almost right on the dot, there is hairline gap in the top middle part of the phone, but it's really minor.

If anybody ordering this kit, you have to keep in mind the kit does not come with the mesh grille that covers ear speaker, as well as the front facing camera housing. they are pretty easy to take out but, i really didnt feel comfortable taking off the mesh grille on brand new iphone. This one happen to be brand new in factory plastic. LOL

Another slight problem was two kits i receive from them are actually different color, one is more whiter than the other. Same for both Front and Rear assembly. I've remember reading apple are having this issue as well... but :$

Tips:
When installing Front LCD/Digi Assembly, make sure home button cutout is free of any debris and smooth. Mine obviously was not and ended up with sticking home button after a drop . OUCH!!! :eek:

I have not purchased from other vendors so i cant compare qualities between any company, but judging by my own experience i would recommend to people who wants to do swap and willing to have some hands on. I really like the DIY option this company provides, it saves me $$ and i get to keep my black parts for any accident, future insurance, or for some extra $$ in my pocket....

Thanks to zeetron, someone is happy, and that's all it matters. :)

Any question, ill try to answer best i can.. :p

SanFranKyle

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
I'm 100% sure all their parts are not from the same maker. The first kit I received had a misaligned LCD and the front piece had extra plastic on the molding at the top and bottom that made it not sit right.

The replacement kit came with another misaligned LCD and a back without the real flash diffuser.

not getting a third haha.

The backs I received were definitely not identical.

Seems like you got rather lucky though, so good news for you.

SanFranKyle

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
So its where the Prox sensor is, but on the black its hidden behind the glass. Why couldn't they do the same on the white?

shine a flashlight on your black phone, you can see it.

plus the whole problem with the white iphone isn't just color matching it's light leaking also.

semperfimarine2

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
Austin Texas
Tips:
When installing Front LCD/Digi Assembly, make sure home button cutout is free of any debris and smooth. Mine obviously was not and ended up with sticking home button after a drop . OUCH!!! :eek:

What exactly do you mean by this? I plan on doing the swap hopefully tomorrow and have bean reading and viewing all information regarding it so I don't run into any problems. If you have any other tips or recommendations, please post in here or PM me. Thanks for the review btw, it looks great!

SanFranKyle

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
What exactly do you mean by this? I plan on doing the swap hopefully tomorrow and have bean reading and viewing all information regarding it so I don't run into any problems. If you have any other tips or recommendations, please post in here or PM me. Thanks for the review btw, it looks great!

it sounds like he got crud around the home button and when he depressed it (after putting it all back together, the home button wedged in place.

you don't want to have to take it back apart to unstick the home button.

SanFranKyle

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
also, Zeetron doesn't give any info on how to replace the home button in any of their videos, but this is how you do it:

Once you have the phone fully disassembled, (with the LCD/Digitzer seperated from the frame antenna) your home button will still be attached to the frame.

flip the frame over, and you'll see the home button is connect to a U shaped cable that runs into a small little port. One the opposite side of that port, (not where cable is inserted) use a pry tool to gentle lift a little release latch. This'll allow you to pull the cable from that port.

Once you have that, just remove the home button still attached to the cable (it's threaded through the phone as the button is on the front and the cable attaches on the back).

Apply a light heat source to gently warm the glue holding the cable to the plastic button. Once the glue is warm, you can easily remove the cable (and clicking mechanism) from the button. Then just warm the glue gently again and press it to the new button. Then reassemble.

SanFranKyle

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
kmvguy83,

can you check a few things for me? (compare the 2 backs)

The back you received with the yellow sticker looks like the back I received with my second failed kit. Can you compare this to other white back, and then to the black parts and tell me if it has an identical flash diffuser to both? (as opposed to glass or swirl marks stamped in the glass?)

semperfimarine2

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
Austin Texas
also, Zeetron doesn't give any info on how to replace the home button in any of their videos, but this is how you do it:

Once you have the phone fully disassembled, (with the LCD/Digitzer seperated from the frame antenna) your home button will still be attached to the frame.

flip the frame over, and you'll see the home button is connect to a U shaped cable that runs into a small little port. One the opposite side of that port, (not where cable is inserted) use a pry tool to gentle lift a little release latch. This'll allow you to pull the cable from that port.

Once you have that, just remove the home button still attached to the cable (it's threaded through the phone as the button is on the front and the cable attaches on the back).

Apply a light heat source to gently warm the glue holding the cable to the plastic button. Once the glue is warm, you can easily remove the cable (and clicking mechanism) from the button. Then just warm the glue gently again and press it to the new button. Then reassemble.

You sir are amazing! I have been looking for directions and videos on exactly what to do about that everywhere! I couldn't find anything though, but thanks to you that helped a lot!

SanFranKyle

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
I just realized something also.

When I had to return my first kit, I wanted Zeetron just to ship out a new LCD Digitizer, but they made me return the entire kit (****ty because the back glass was better on the first kit). I couldn't figure out why they needed to send me out an entire new kit, and now I realize it's because they wouldn't have been able to match the color because of different manufacture dates/companies.

SanFranKyle

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
That could explain it, i was talking about this earlier on another forum.

In the OP's picture of the two different colored backs, I'm fairly certain the one with the yellow sticker has an absent/inferior flash diffuser compared to the other one, which has a much closer to apple's diffuser.

(I was like wtf when zeetron sent me out the 2nd kit and it had an inferior back to the one I got the first time)

kmvguy83

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010

SanFranKyle is correct, and here is pic of it on the 2nd faceplate that is not installed yet...

Do you see the white paint debris? That needs to be cleaned out...
u can scrap it gently with flat head screw driver..

Here's the pic
photo.jpg

After pic
photo1.jpg

NOTE: DO NOT OVER DO IT... you do not want to scratch white paint off the housing,.. just where looks necessary.. and only need to do on bottom part of it... like on the picture..

kmvguy83

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
I just realized something also.

When I had to return my first kit, I wanted Zeetron just to ship out a new LCD Digitizer, but they made me return the entire kit (****ty because the back glass was better on the first kit). I couldn't figure out why they needed to send me out an entire new kit, and now I realize it's because they wouldn't have been able to match the color because of different manufacture dates/companies.

This happens to be true, My second kit came in was whiter, both front and back. BUT does not have the flash diffuser like the 1st kit.

I would rather have original looking flash diffuser...

SanFranKyle

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
This happens to be true, My second kit came in was whiter, both front and back. BUT does not have the flash diffuser like the 1st kit.

I would rather have original looking flash diffuser...

yep! just non OEM stuff :(

atleast you got a close version in your first set though.

kmvguy83

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
This may be slightly off topic but any tips on swapping the home button? Thanks!
There is lazy way of doing this.
You can just peel off wo taking the connector out.. its just double sided sticker so it just peels right off and there is indentation behind the home button so you cannot put it back the wrong way.. unless u r pretty much blind... lol

kmvguy83

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Pictures for kit #2

Here are pics for White kit #2

Fitment is much better on this kit, and more whiter in color.
But does not have the chrome ring around the diffuser.

Notice the back has different logo than first one..
I dunno if this is update logo or not

Enjoy

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
There is lazy way of doing this.
You can just peel off wo taking the connector out.. its just double sided sticker so it just peels right off and there is indentation behind the home button so you cannot put it back the wrong way.. unless u r pretty much blind... lol

Lol yeah. I saw a guy do this on YouTube. So that's why I posted a question haha... But I guess I was too stupid and forgot about reading the earlier post about putting it on. Thanks foe the lazy way! Haha and I believe the bak you have is the Chinese version. The Chinese version of the iPhone has different FCC markings than all the other countries

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.