white iphone 4 with osx 10.4.11??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djsound, Apr 30, 2011.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

So I have osx 10.4.11 on my imac. I just got a white iphone 4 but it says it needs itunes 10.1 or newer or something.......and that itunes requires osx 10.5 or newer.....?! I cant sync my iphone because I dont have snow leopard?!??

2. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

That's half-correct. You're going to need at least Leopard to sync your new iPhone.

If your computer is a PPC Mac, Leopard is the highest your computer will be able to support, IF it can even support Leopard.

Snow Leopard is Intel only.

3. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

You're running a pre-Intel only version of OSX which the newer itunes requires. Time to sell it and upgrade to a modern machine if you want to use modern apple products.

Forgot to add IF you have a PPC or core duo machine.

4. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

I was waiting for Lion before buying a new computer. Ill get snow leopard for now I guess because folks say it is only $30? Hopefully I can upgrade without losing all my current data on my computer. I have an intel imac

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It would be smart to make a backup incase something does go wrong.:)

6. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

I dont know how. I dont have time capsule or anything like that and my external drive is usb not firewire...

7. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Actually, if I recall correctly, with the $30 Snow Leopard upgrade disc, you can't directly upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard. You'll have to do a clean install of Snow Leopard.

A USB external drive should work just fine for backing your files up.

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

No. My brother upgraded from 10.4.11 to 10.6.3 on his old 1,1 CD MacBook without any problems.

9. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Your right I need a "Mac Box Set" coming from Tiger. I cant upgrade though? I would lose all system stuff? and would have to set up like 100 apps again? haha

10. SideStepSociety, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011

SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Ahh, my bad. I had thought that's why it was only $30 bucks was for those that had shelled out $100+ for Leopard.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

I would still, however, recommend a clean install to Snow Leopard, as it seems the best way to guarantee a trouble free experience.

EDIT: After looking it up here on the forums, it looks like I was right. With the $30 upgrade disc, you need to do a clean install of OS X, you cannot directly upgrade from Tiger.

See thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=890006

11. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

It would take me weeks to setup the apps I use from scratch

And all my bookmarks and passwords......omg I cant do a total reinstall!! haha

12. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Well, I don't want this to sound rude, but would you rather have a phone or take a bit of time to set up your applications again? You may find you don't even need/want some of them anymore.

Plus, depending on what hardware is in your iMac, I'm sure you'll notice a decent performance improvement, as well as some awesome new features.

Like you said, you can also buy the box set for $100+ dollars and probably do a direct upgrade from that.

It's really not all that much work, back up your bookmarks, remember your passwords (which you should already) and back up your data. Simply copy it over after that.

13. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Actually I'd love to have Snow Leopard...but losing all my stuff is the reason I have put it off until now.I bought the Box Set last night to upgrade from Tiger. Still haven't set it up yet. I have about 100 apps and I do use all of them daily. Remember my passwords? There is like 100 of those too but 1password handles that...

14. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

With the Box Set, I believe you may be able to upgrade directly from Tiger, without doing a clean install. But like I said, I'd still suggest a clean install when doing a big OS jump like that. (I'd never, ever, jump from Windows XP to Windows 7 without a clean install.)

1password may even have some kind of "database" export that it would export your passwords for you and you could re-import said database back into 1password into your clean install. That's of course assuming you're required to do a clean install.

Regardless, best of luck with the update, and be sure to keep us posted! :)

15. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Goin for it right now. I hope to see you all again on the other side haha

16. seble macrumors 6502a

Whilst it's too late now to point now, you don't actually need the 'mac box set' to upgrade from tiger, but you would be cheating apple if you just go the snow leopard normal disc.

17. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

For a direct upgrade without a clean install, he would need the box set, no?

With the $30 upgrade disc, he would have to do a clean install. At least, this seems to be the general consensus, unless things have changed since the launch of 10.6.

18. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I didn't upgrade from Tiger to SnowLeopard, it was Leopard to SnowLeopard, and I know that I didn't need a clean install. Not really sure what it's like going from Tiger though...sorry bud.