White iPhone available for online purchase on launch day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ogdogg, Jun 21, 2010.

1. ogdogg macrumors 6502

I'm assuming that we'll be able to order the white iPhone online on launch day. Does that mean we should all be hitting refresh around midnight on Wednesday/Thursday hoping to be at the top of the white iPhone list?

2. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

and may I ask why do you assume such a thing?

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Even if Apple gets the manufacturing problem corrected they will likely hold off for a couple of months to keep the black to white exchanges to a minimum. I bet you won't see a white until at least September.

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Sorry you can waste all the time you want thinking it will be available for preorder this week but the white iPhone won't be around till late August or September.

5. christyn macrumors 6502a

Going to agree with the above posts. It will be at least August.

6. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Fail

i already have one, its already available at walmart

FTW

7. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Where are people getting this late August/September idea? Because AT&T said late summer FOR THEM? Because some Best Buy reps are saying late August? Really? Listen to Apple, they're the only ones to be trusted on this- and so far their website does not say late August/September.

8. ogdogg thread starter macrumors 6502

So you don't even think we'll be able to place an order on launch day? I think we will... I guess time will tell. Steve said it'd be available for purchase on the 24th so I'm hoping it will be, even if I don't receive it until August.

9. christyn macrumors 6502a

No, they're not saying anything. At this point everything points toward this being a production issue. Thinking it will be available on launch day is unrealistic.

10. xqb4dpx macrumors member

True. We might not be able to order online, but it will definitely be in store until APPLE releases a PUBLIC announcement otherwise.

11. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I think it will be available mid-July, August is too far.

12. christyn macrumors 6502a

Not likely.
    It was announced white and black would be available for PRE-ORDER and for sale June 24th, and there was no announcement before it just wasn't there on the 15th for pre-orders. So what exactly makes you think you're guaranteed to find one on Thursday unless they announce otherwise?

13. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

August falls in the category of late summer so it's really not as far fetched as many would think.

14. phlavor macrumors member

I've got a black one reserved for pickup on Thursday. My plan is just swap the glass out for white at a latter date when I can get a $20 kit online. As much as I want white, it's not worth a two month wait to get off EDGE.

15. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Oh no don't get me wrong. I'm almost positive we won't see it at launch. Or in June. I'm just saying that people who are so certain of late august or September have no backup for that date. Besides AT&T and best buy. I don't trust that until apple says something officially. Again, i doubt launch day, almost 100 percent.

16. christyn macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'd agree. It's just hard to know without knowing the reason for the delay. I do think it'll likely be at least late July/early August. Maybe there will be some available in limited supplies before then, who knows.

17. xqb4dpx macrumors member

The fact that Apple made the white iPhone 4 unavailable for pre-order is a clear sign that they acknowledge that is something wrong, so they are addressing that issue by halting pre-orders. If the situation was serious enough that the white iPhone 4 couldn't go on sale by June 24, Apple would have already made an announcement right then (or just pasted "white iPhone 4 unavailable for June 24" on Apple.com), instead of choosing to halt pre-orders.

What would you do if you were in that situation? If you aren't really comfortable with the number of phones you're going to receive from manufacturers, but you know you'll be getting some, will you just halt pre-orders or will you just not sell any at all? If Apple wasn't receiving any white iPhone 4s at all on time, they would've said so, so no one lines up at the store looking for a white iPhone 4.

However, I think if the white iPhone 4 is really going to be unavailable on June 24, they will make a statement the latest by tomorrow.

EDIT: the notice on apple.com has always been (and still is): "White iPhone currently unavailable for pre-order or in-store pickup" does that say anything about whether or not it will be going on sale at all? They simply can't make a good prediction on the number of white iPhone 4's they'll be receiving ahead of time, hence the inability to PRE-order.

18. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

You know what happens when you assume....

...um... something about a donkey.

;)

19. christyn macrumors 6502a

It would say that regardless. It's not available to BUY yet, so they're not going to have a statement to that point to avoid customer confusion.

It's also only Monday, if they are going to release a statement one way or another I wouldn't expect to see it until Tuesday.

20. xqb4dpx macrumors member

How confusing is "White iPhone will not be for sale until late summer" ?

21. c00lerness macrumors member

The only thing that makes me believe that the White iPhone maybe available on launch day is that the Apple website says "White iPhone CURRENTLY unavailable for pre-order or in-store pickup"

To me, pre-order means having the ability to order something before launch day. If the white iPhone is currently unavailable, maybe sometime now and the 24th it will be up for pre-order, otherwise if the white iPhone won't be up for sale on launch, it should say something like "White iPhone coming soon."

Just my thoughts. Maybe this leaked memo of later this summer is true. Just have to wait.

22. extenet macrumors member

According to some leaked info from best buy, it looks like they will have some white iPhones at launch. If this is true then apple stores will have some at retail. But who knows when you'll be able to order them...

23. LightMast macrumors regular

This makes a lot of sense. I told my wife if they release the white within 30 days she could just return and get a white. Apple has got to be doing what they can to avoid this situation.

24. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Apple is not going to want to release them within 30 days of the 24th because then there is going to be tens of thousands people returning their black iPhones... it would create a huge headache for them.

25. christyn macrumors 6502a

That is not what I'm saying. Say it's going to be available. They're not going to say that on the store, it will cause confusion. They may come out with a press release the day before, but it won't be on the STORE until the day of. If it was on the store today saying the white will be available, dozens of people would be at the Apple store within minutes expecting to buy it.