White iPhone vs Black iPhone?

junosoftware

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
Halifax, UK
Stick with Black

I'd suggest sticking with the black iphone. The white ones tend to fade if left in the sun making them turn a nasty nicotine yellow.

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Did you not read my above post?

"The only thing you may notice (although highly unlikely) is that the black iPhone/iPad is more likely to overheat than the white iPhone/iPad when out in bright sunshine for long periods of time."

And the white does not perform any better. There is just a slightly lower chance of it overheating.
Incorrect my fury little friend... It actually works better.

Psychopulse

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2005
London, UK
There you go, white vs black with iOS 7, I made a quick mockup:

Saying that white or black is faster///performing better than the other one is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
The black one looks sexier. A girl went out with me because I had the black one and Kim Kardashian has a white one.

virginblue4

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I'd suggest sticking with the black iphone. The white ones tend to fade if left in the sun making them turn a nasty nicotine yellow.
This is not true at all.

----------

There you go, white vs black with iOS 7, I made a quick mockup:

Saying that white or black is faster///performing better than the other one is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.
Thanks for the mockup, I much prefer iOS 7 on the white iPhone!

And I agree, some people are very stupid!

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
that's what i would usually do, but i needed a phone urgently at that point. could have bought a dumbphone first and waited. oh well.
Yeah, I totally get that. I could afford to wait as my old phone was still active. Truth to tell, I'd been waiting since 2008 for Sprint to get the iPhone so waiting some more at that point (to get the iPhone 5 I wanted) wasn't going to kill me. :D

----------

Black is the new black. End thread. :)

SuperCachetes

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
The reason why Apple showed iOS 7 on a white iPhone is because they revealed the iPhone 5 with a black variant. They like to mix it up.
Source?

I rather think they put iOS 7 on a white phone because the white phone is very much in keeping with the theme of iOS 7. See the excellent mockup above.

I have yet to see a single white iPhone turn yellow.
Me neither. Never even heard of this.

I liked the black iPhone 5 more, but I went with the white because I figured if I went caseless, the black frame would get scuffed up and show marks much worse than the unfinished metal on the white phone would. I have definitely seen some black iPhone 5s with silver nicks, or even where the black finish has been abraded off the frame.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
The black iPhone 5 is a total failure due to the scuffgate!
I pre-ordered it the night it became available and had to send it back after 2 weeks: it looked really bad in just a week!
Right now I rarely see black iPhone 5's in the wild, even if I do, those look like crap with no case on.
On the other hand, I see a lot of white iPhone 5's everywhere.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
The black one looks sexier. A girl went out with me because I had the black one...

Pics or it didn't happen.

My suggestion is to get a white iPhone and and black iPad. Or get a black iPhone and a white iPad. That way people will think you are mysterious. And everyone knows that chiks dig mysterious guys. ::D

james1758

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
UK
I have the black iPhone as I always have with iPhones, i personally think it looks more refined but sleek

----------

but I did have one white iphone (the 3GS) and imo it didnt look that nice on the phone

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
The black iPhone 5 is a total failure due to the scuffgate!
I pre-ordered it the night it became available and had to send it back after 2 weeks: it looked really bad in just a week!
Right now I rarely see black iPhone 5's in the wild, even if I do, those look like crap with no case on.
On the other hand, I see a lot of white iPhone 5's everywhere.
I'm sorry. My black, 64GB iPhone 5 didn't get the "scuffgate" memo and missed the party entirely. Holding up very well. But I don't abuse it and it doesn't go in a pocket with keys or coins or anything metal.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
I've always gotten black for myself and white for gifts to others. What I would really like is silver. :p

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
I'm sorry. My black, 64GB iPhone 5 didn't get the "scuffgate" memo and missed the party entirely. Holding up very well. But I don't abuse it and it doesn't go in a pocket with keys or coins or anything metal.
C'mon, don't tell me the edges are holding up very well. I saw different black iPhone 5's including mine. I would never put it in the same pocket with keys or coins whatsoever...duh!
The black anodizing is bad period. So is the white one but it's not that obvious.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
C'mon, don't tell me the edges are holding up very well. I saw different black iPhone 5's including mine. I would never put it in the same pocket with keys or coins whatsoever...duh!
The black anodizing is bad period. So is the white one but it's not that obvious.
OK. I won't tell you. Take a look and judge for yourself.

Disclaimer: Not my original iPhone 5. This one is a replacement that I got in November 2012.

Attachments

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
The pics don't do justice.
Yes, the phone looks fine, but it's out of focus and a bit far from the camera.
I bet there are silver dots here and there along the edge but not noticible in the pics.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
The pics don't do justice.
Yes, the phone looks fine, but it's out of focus and a bit far from the camera.
I bet there are silver dots here and there along the edge but not noticible in the pics.
I'm not arguing that it's perfect. In fact, on the back top left corner I have a small scrape on the top edge of the band. Same on the top right and bottom left on the back. That's from having it in my pocket when working on my car outside. It slipped out and dropped to the concrete. I kicked myself for that because there was actually no need for me to have the phone out there with me. But a Sharpie took care of the top right corner, although you can feel the roughness of the edge with your finger.

There are other small knicks and whatnot but all of this is in the bezel area where the metal meets the glass. It's not like a scrape along the side or back or anything like that. I consider this (outside of my idiot droping of the phone I mentioned) to be normal wear. I have to look at the edges with light behind me to see this stuff.

So, if by silver dots you mean what I just mentioned, then yes. As far as the pics, those were taken with the crap camera on my 3GS. My HTC Touch Pro has a much better camera and I should have used that but it's harder to get pics off of it.

Anyway, here's a different set from back in April that was taken with my other phone. Not much has changed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17218875&postcount=20

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17218882&postcount=21

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
I'm not arguing that it's perfect. In fact, on the back top left corner I have a small scrape on the top edge of the band. Same on the top right and bottom left on the back. That's from having it in my pocket when working on my car outside. It slipped out and dropped to the concrete. I kicked myself for that because there was actually no need for me to have the phone out there with me. But a Sharpie took care of the top right corner, although you can feel the roughness of the edge with your finger.

There are other small knicks and whatnot but all of this is in the bezel area where the metal meets the glass. It's not like a scrape along the side or back or anything like that. I consider this (outside of my idiot droping of the phone I mentioned) to be normal wear. I have to look at the edges with light behind me to see this stuff.

So, if by silver dots you mean what I just mentioned, then yes. As far as the pics, those were taken with the crap camera on my 3GS. My HTC Touch Pro has a much better camera and I should have used that but it's harder to get pics off of it.

Anyway, here's a different set from back in April that was taken with my other phone. Not much has changed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17218875&postcount=20

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17218882&postcount=21
Well, you just said it yourself: you had to use a Sharpie...
No more questions