White Macbook 2.4 GHZ VS. Aluminium MacBook 2.0

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by djarsalan2006, Apr 15, 2009.

1. djarsalan2006 macrumors regular

Hey Everyone
    I've had my white macbook 2.4ghz 4gb ram with 160gb hard drive about 8 months now, i was thinking about upgrading to the new unibody 2.0 one .
    is it worth the upgrade ? what are the advantages ?

2. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Do you do anything graphics related? If so then it certainly could be worth it as the 9400m blows your gpu out of the water. If not then all you are really looking at is a nice aluminum body instead of the plastic one. I would say on every day tasks that performance will be about the same, except things might seem snappier with the faster gpu.

3. djarsalan2006 thread starter macrumors regular

Not really anything graphical
    i use it to run audio related softwares to dj and i also use it on my gigs

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Then you really should go for the 2.4 with the backlit keyboard.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Then you don't really need the new Al, but if you want it for looks, by all means go ahead.

If you really want to buy a new Mac, then the new plastic one is a great machine.

6. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

+1

7. djarsalan2006 thread starter macrumors regular

i was thinking about 2.0 one ?
    hows that one comparing to what i have which is a white 2.4 ghz with 4gb ram /?

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

In the DJ business, the 2.4 GHz model won't do a difference compared to the 2.0 GHz model. That is unless you create your own mixes and encode your songs, then 400MHz will make a slight difference. Like I said, get the 2.0 GHz if you want the looks, otherwise the new plastic ones are more than enough.

9. djarsalan2006 thread starter macrumors regular

so are you saying besides the looks they are the same ?
    what about the speed ?

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

The new Whitebook is an incredible machine. Worth every penny, and also a lot less pennies than the unibodied notebooks.
    What DJ software do you use by the way?

11. djarsalan2006 thread starter macrumors regular

I use torq for live gigs ...
    i use Ableton and Traktor as well

12. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I think the 2.4 was getting recommended because of the backlit keyboard. I dont DJ, but I imagine it is dark. The keys on the aluminum macbooks are actually harder to see in the dark than the whitebooks. I guess its the whole white writing on black is harder to see than black writing on white thing. If that makes any sense...

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The only difference between the current generation White MacBook and the Aluminum models is that White MacBooks are made out of plastic casing, slower RAM speed (800 MHz vs 1066 MHz in Unibody machines) and the fact the plastic machines have a FireWire port.

So, it comes down to what you really need. Like I said, in the DJ business the current white MacBook would be the logical choice as it has a FireWire port that most music devices have or only support.

However, if you want the looks, go for the Aluminum model. :D

14. jshelton macrumors 6502a

If you take a look at the original post, he isn't asking about the NEW white Macbook. I am assuming he is wanting to compare the Early 2008 2.4ghz Macbook to the Unibody 2.0ghz Macbook.

15. djarsalan2006 thread starter macrumors regular

THANK YOU ...
    Guys read the original post first

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Which is why I am saying, speed wise, there is only a difference in FSB, RAM and the loss of FW 400 in the new Aluminum MacBooks.

For his DJ stuff, I think its best to keep the FW. However if he wants looks, go ahead

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

In my experience, the backlit keyboard is a very valuable feature, and Maxing the RAM makes more of a difference than the processor increase.

I know he was asking about the low-end unibody, but the backlit keyboard is only available on the 2.4. I know you can get by with a USB powered light, but you will need at least one USB slot for an audio-out channel. I would choose a used 2.4 over a new 2.0 just for the keyboard.