White macbook and Snow Leopard!! Better performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andygabriel, Aug 21, 2009.

1. andygabriel macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I'm sure a lot of guys out there still use the white macbook. I have a mid 2008 white macbook(2.4GHZ), the one right before the introduce the unibody. I'd like to know if you think the white macbook will benefit from Snow Leopard.

Will i notice and performance boost and can the white macbook run 64 bits applications?

I have no idea if it can and how it will benefit my macbook.

I'm considering whether i should upgrade to Snow Leopard or stick to Leopard.

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

According to Apple:

As for as taking advantage of 64-bit, yes. You have a core 2 duo processor. If you had an older MacBook (1,1 aka first gen, May '06) with core duo (no 2) then no. It would remain at 32-bit but still will have the performance boost mentioned above.

At the price for an upgrade, I definitely think that it's worth $29us to add Snow to your Leopard. -GDF

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Your MacBook can run 64 bit applications already. There are just not very many around yet. Snow Leopard should come with 64 bit versions of all the apps that ship with the operating system with the exception of iTunes, I think. There have been lots of optimizations for speed in the OS that you would get, even when running 32 bit applications. So I think Snow Leopard is definitely worthwhile.

And I think Apple put the price so low so that developers can take advantage of all the new features without restricting themselves to 10.5, and if the app doesn't run on your system they will just tell you to upgrade to Snow Leopard. That will happen much quicker than with Leopard vs. Tiger, where many developers still write code that will run on 10.4. So the point where new apps don't run on 10.5 anymore might come quite soon.