White MacBook for guys?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UbuntuFu, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UbuntuFu macrumors regular

I got one this summer, and now I'm really wishing I ponyed up the extra money for a black or MBP. The white doesn't really match my decor of mostly silver or black electronics. Ugh. 2 of my sisters got white macbooks too. I'm starting to think the white macbook appeals more to women.

I have a black Tucano second skin and I'm probably going to get a black iSkin keyboard cover to make it a little more manly.

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I hate to agree, but I feel the same way. If I had to get a Macbook, it would be black.

That being said, I'm happy with my MBP; all sexy and professional looking :D

3. valdigre macrumors member

I will not pay 100 bucks or more just for the black color.

I wanted to have a small laptop but instead of buying a black one I'd rather add extra RAM or something like that.

Do not think about the color. Many good sports cars for example, are white, so imagine you have a unique machine (and it pretty much is).

4. UbuntuFu thread starter macrumors regular

I have a PowerBook G4 1.5ghz and this summer I couldn't wait any longer to upgrade to the intel Macs, so when they had a deal on the macbook at my university bookstore, I decided to take the plunge. Unfortunately it was only the $1299 macbook, which I got it for $1099, plus the free ipod nano.

5. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

I have the white MacBook and I'm a guy.
    I also have a white iPod, so it goes nicely with it.
    Most of my electronics are silver and I find the white compliment them nicely.
    However, when the iPhone becomes available in Canada, I do worry that it'll look fugly with the white. Plus, the new iMac seems to follow in vein with it.

I still prefer the white MacBook over the BlackBook though; however, I think when I upgrade in a few years I'll be going for a MacBook Pro.

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Thank goodness I'm comfortable enough with my masculinity to use any color computer I want...

7. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Actually, I can't think of a really nice sports car that I've seen around these parts that is white. Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lotus, Porsche, few Benz convertibles, etc. none of which were white.

Mostly black or silver, maybe a token red or yellow Ferrari or Porsche here or there, but literally zero white.

8. cmuench macrumors member

hmm well I have a white macbook and love it. I couldn't justify the extra $125 when I knew I wanted to upgrade the RAM anyway.
    And on to sports car thing. I just saw a white porsche this past weekend in Sedona, AZ and boy was it sleek.

9. robPOD macrumors 6502

Im a guy and Have a white macbook, people always compliment me on it, whats so non-manley about it?

10. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Elegance =! Femininity

It just depends on a colour preference. Nothing more, nothing less.

11. valdigre macrumors member

Red, black or yellow are for example standard colors for Ferrari, Lamborghini or other supercars. For a pearl white Lamborghini Murcielago or Gallardo, you have to pay extra for the paint :)

By sports cars I meant something more for regular humans, like Honda Type-R's, Nissan 300 ZX or others, but it does not matter.
    I wanted to cheer up the guy :)

Anyway don't be worried about the white color of your Macbook. You can always make a custom paint job if it bothers you too much.
    I do not really mind having white lap, even though my desktop is completely black, for instance...

12. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I got the original iBook G3 500 MHz the day it was available when I was an undergrad. It was very unique and a great way to start conservations with other Mac-chicks on campus.

Use the white to your advantage to meet girls, every other dude has a black laptop.

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Has anyone made fun of you? Or is this just an insecurity thing? People are aware that Macs are white. So if you have a Mac you're gay or feminine (from male perspective)?

Believe me. No one cares what color your machine is.

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

At the end of the day, my MacBook is a tool... I bought it simply because it was what I needed, not to make some kind of statement – the colour wasn't even a consideration. Maybe I'm in some crazy kind of denial, but I don't really see how its colour is a reflection on my masculinity? :confused:

15. calculus Guest

calculus

My macbook is white and I'm rather fond of it. Part of the reason I have a white one is, er, that's the colour they come in...

16. xSOTYx macrumors member

Im a guy and have a white macbook. There is nothing wrong with that at all! White is a very true and pure colour in my opinion. Its bright and happy.

This question is like going back to the hole subject about men where pink tee's. Now that is pretty feminine in some peoples eyes, yet people who are very manly and straight still wear them.

Does colour really matter? I doubt anyone really cares and using an Apple product people are going to comment you about it no matter what the colour is.

17. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

the only sports car i can recall of comming white as standard from the factory would be the late 80's to mid 90's Lotus Esprit... no one in their right minds would buy a white sports car, how would you keep all the rubber off it ;) ???

as to the color, are you serious??
    sure, the black is nice, but i know more guys who have a white macbook and girls who have blackbooks for this reason. guys don't care as much about the color and would rather spend the money on performance. girls care more about looks and a computer is the internet and a typewriter all in one. ooo, ahh, it's black with a pink case!!

that's basically the mentality i see most people use.

if it was any other computer brand, you might be right in your thinking, but white is such a CLASSIC Apple color.

if someone would dare to have the audacity to call you out on your computer's color, just stick it to them with the specs/ Apple amazing-ness which is bound to win any argument ;)

18. UbuntuFu thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I was thinking the white Acura Integra Type-R. nice car. Anyway, nobody's made fun of me or anything, it's just that in hindsight all I had was a Powerbook G4 and when I was putting together my office in pieces, black and silver dominates the whole color scheme. I have a Dell 24" and a Harmon Kardon Go+Play, and 2 WD MyBook ext. drives and I recently purchased a Logitech Dinovo Edge. I'm probably going to buy a 17" MBP next year or whenever they have LED & BluRay and then use the WhiteBook as a kitchen laptop. It'll look good in there. :D The Macbook is a great computer though, compared to my PB this thing boots up in mere seconds and can handle 6 quicktime videos at once with no stuttering.

Still kinda lame of Apple to charge more just for the color black, but oh well what can you do about it. Hopefully the next rumored Macbook ultraportable will be professional lookin'.

19. Paulsan macrumors member

There's nothing wrong with white.

For instance, wedding gowns are white. It signifies purity and virginity. You're purely virginal, right?:D:D:D

Seriously though, I've been using Macs since 1994 and NEVER understood the whole "Does it match my shoes?" design mentality.

20. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

That's funny, because Apple, more than ANY other company, seems to pride itself on the aesthetic appeal of it's products. That's why some people hold Ives up to be a God.

This aesthetic deals not only with not only the design of their products, or their color, but their whole marketing campaign as well.

For everyone in this thread that says color doesn't matter, and they can't understand why people have such an issue with those that worry about the aesthetic of their hardware, look no further than Apple itself; it's arguably the foundation of their corporate appeal worldwide.

21. jediistar macrumors 6502

This is a preposterous thread based on one mans inability to accept his masculinity. You think someone is going to look down on you because you have a white laptop? Shame on you and shame on them. Let's spin it another way, white laptops are racist...maybe you should view that white is only for virgins, I mean come on!

I'd love a white notebook and I don't care who looks at me and for why?! Anyone who looks at me and says wow, he is using a white notebook he must swing both ways needs to have their head examined.

22. Tracer macrumors 6502

23. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

24. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I don't think it isn't "masculine" to have a white mb. I think the white is very classy. I didn't up the ante and get the pro just because it was silver...and I wouldn't have gotten the black macbook if I were to have purhcased a macbook. Not worth it, and I like the white casing better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.