White Macbook or the new Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nggera, Nov 22, 2008.

1. nggera macrumors newbie

Hi everone. So I am new to Mac. I am just a typical college student, not an artist or obssessed with graphics. I finally decide to buy a Mac. While considering, I am thinking should I buy the white macbook (which i am obssessed with the shape/color/look) or should I buy the new macbook. Can anyone tell me more about the differences and advices? Thanks!

2. svndmvn Guest

what the older one has over the new Aluminum one: Firewire, which I doubt you'll use, it is not absolutely a bad machine,especially given the price difference, it is awesome for someone new to Macs.
    What the new one has over the old one(that is actually new): LED display that makes it instantly bright and brighter, longer lasting etc, 1066MHz vs 800MHz, DDR3 1066 vs DDR2 800, if i'm not mistaking, a bit thinner, cooler as in lower temperatures, better graphics, bigger "multi-touch" trackpad
    this is pretty much it, I believe

3. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

If you have enough money, go for the new one i guess. Although the white macbook is still very good, the new ones just seem so well built.

Up to you really, I guess you could buy a white macbook and spend the rest of the money on accessories if thats what you like to do.

Btw there is an education discount for students too :)

4. Catch Them macrumors regular

the old ones are good if theyre not going to be used for much of anything short of using the net or documents in office and stuff like that.

but if you plan to stress it a bit with photoshop, a game or two, or any sort of intensive work; id opt for the new alu-MacBook.

they offer better graphics performance which helps in overall system performance (as it isnt eating up your Memory like the previous built in onboard gpu); faster memory and FSB of course.

The display is much more accurate and higher quality than the previous, seeing them side by side, the older one was just unbearable to look at especially in bright (natural lights), the newer one while its concealed in glass has a higher density to lighting and making it easier to use in brightly lit places.

its a pretty solid machine and youll be able to run apps much more smoother with the specs it has compared to the previous line of macbooks.

goodluck!

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Basically, it comes down to a question of finance; the white MB offers exceptionally good value, and is an excellent computer, for someone new to Mac. However, if money is no object, the new MBs are rather impressive and very attractive machines.

Take a look at both computers side by side in a Mac outlet, and try them out for yourself; that should help you come to a decision.

Cheers and good luck

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Not true. I do plenty of intensive work on my Blackbook and it works like a champ. The Whitebook will do everything the new alu will do and just as well (excluding graphic intensive stuff which is mostly for gaming--who buys a Macbook primarily for gaming though?). Benchmark tests have shown the previous gen macbook just as fast on almost every category as the new one. The older 2.4 Whitebook beats the new alu 2.0 in almost every category. The OP can buy 4GB's of RAM to get it a lot faster for $30. If you buy 4GB for the new one it will set you back $150.

A simple search on here or anywhere on the internet and the OP will see many, many, many people use the previous gen for some high intensive apps so I don't know why you said what you did. It can do A LOT more than you claim and do it well. I just did today.

OP: The new one and the previous one are great machines. Whatever you decide it will be a good one.

7. loosekannon297 macrumors newbie

loosekannon297

how my teacher told me... why do u want an old computer if new ones are always better. i bought the new macbook and i love it. :p

8. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Honestly, they're both great. Unless you'll need the newer graphics of the new model both should suit you well. I too like the design of the white MacBook over the new one. I can't see the white one getting out of date any more quickly than the aluminum one. The new trackpad is nice for the multi touch gestures, but I'm not a big fan of not having a button. The aluminum one is definitely built better, and will be better for travel. It's your choice. Maybe you can go to the Apple store to check both of them out.

9. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

The new one. Firewire isn't that big of a deal, and it's the only downside.

10. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

you're obsessed over the shape/color/look/design of the white macbook??

Get it then! It's an amazing laptop and you'll feel happier with a machine that you love and which you've always coveted. While the new ones are nice, i guarantee you ain't missing out on anything if you went with the white one.

What I'll suggest though is to get the 2.4 GHz version of the white macbook. :D

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Maybe not to you, but to the people that use it all the time it is a big deal.

12. MacbookAlum1536 macrumors regular

MacbookAlum1536

If you don't do much more than basic stuff and word processing the new aluminum isn't for you

13. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

LOL Thanks for the laugh.

14. daftna macrumors newbie

nggera,

I just went through the same decision process. Randomly, I started looking at refurbished machines to see if I could get a deal. Down at the very bottom I found a "Previous Generation" 2.4 Ghz, 250 GB black macbook for $1099 in the education store. The 2.4, 250 GB aluminum macbook goes for $1499. This is not a returned computer; it is brand new and unopened.

Sure, it doesn't have the glass trackpad, DDR3, etc but $400 savings for essentially the same computer? bargain! Plus the aluminum is a first generation laptop. Historically first gen apple products have had issues that were later resolved in revisions. My advice: spend the extra $100 and get a white, clearance (Previous Generation) macbook.

15. shiseiryu1 macrumors 6502

My Opinion

I had a CoreDuo Macbook not too long ago an recently got the new Macbook Pro. I don't know if the new Macbook is similar in this respect, but one of the things that I love about my MBP is that I've had it for about 5 days and I haven't once heard the fans kick on. Even when I was installing software and streaming video over my network it barely got warm. When I had the white Macbook the fan would kick on all the time...especially when I'd do stuff like video conference over Skype (which is really annoying b/c then it's harder for the person to hear you).

So anyways, my experience so far is that the redesigned macs run cooler and quieter than their white plastic predecessors... I'm very happy with my purchase so far.

Cheers.

16. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Sucks for them, they can shell out $500 more for a dying technology.

17. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Or buy a PC. Then it sucks for Apple. Now comeback and make another smart aleck response to that.

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I second what's been said about trying the two models out and the laying of hands upon them.

If you're going to buy a white book or black book, you could try craigslist if you live anywhere near a largeish city. A lot of people are selling their older systems to buy the unibodies. One gal was selling her 3 month old MBP with a 512 meg graphics card for $1400 when it was selling for $2500 before the refresh last month! Insane!

If you get a used model, you can buy applecare for it if it is under a year old. Some of them already have applecare for three years, and the warranty can be transferred.

19. therealdt macrumors regular

You're a college student, save your money and go with a refurb MB. It sounds like you need laptop for your basic needs.

20. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

or buy the new alu for you basic needs. It should be able to handle it.

Kidding aside, performance wise they are the same. It comes down to what you want.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're going to be using the computer for all through college, I'd get the new MacBook because the built quality will be substantially better than the plastic model. You won't get palm rest cracking or yellowing; the GPU will be good to have if you ever get Photoshop CS4.

I'd say get the new model. Instead of seeing how much more the new model is compared the previous generation model, consider it as a long term investment; is the potential hassle of calling and wasting your time [and money] asking for repairs worth it?

22. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

The previous gen were very reliable aside from some who had the cracks (Apple replaces that and I have owned 2, travel with it, and don't treat it with that much care and never had a crack) so I don't understand you last comment.

Photoshop runs good on my Blackbook.

If the OP doesn't need FW (I do) then the new one probably is the best one if they don't mind spending $300-400 more.

The previous 2.4 is better performing (not including graphics, but he/she said they don't play games or do anything with intense graphics) though. Plus they can buy 4GB's for $25 on the previous one and it will cost $150 on the new one.

Either choice will be great for him/her.

23. ritzuk macrumors member

Save yourself some coin and pick up a white Macbook. With the edu discount, I would buy a brand new one and get Applecare. It'll be guaranteed to last the length of your degree and should last much, much longer.

They're good computers - don't buy the new Macbook just because it's the latest and greatest - it has a slower processor as standard, although it does make up for it in other areas - especially for gaming.

The unibody is nice, but I wouldn't pay the massive premium to own it!

24. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

I'd say new to keep up with the current technology.

25. molala macrumors 6502a

Get what you really want. You can't go wrong with either MacBook.

I too really like the look of the plastic one and got a refurb black MacBook recently. Runs Photoshop and Illustrator CS3 fine. I maxed out the RAM to 4GB.

I think the £400 or so I saved would future-proof me more than an alu MacBook. With the savings, I could upgrade sooner than I would normally in the future.