White MacBook, RAM question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ikermalli, Jan 22, 2009.

1. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I have the early 2008 MacBook (the last shipment that came in while the new macbooks were out, if that makes a difference) and I read on the apple site that it can only take 2GBs of RAM is that correct because I wanted to install 4GBs. I read it here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Thats correct, but you can double check it by going here:

www.crucial.com

and pressing 'scan my system' on the left.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I wouldn't take Crucial's advice as gospel. They've given me incorrect information in the past. I think Apple would probably be the definitive authority on that one. ;)

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Everymac.com for more info.

some models can take more RAM than apple specs indicate
    (seems that Apple don't update their specs even with new firmware).

5. erstwhilepo macrumors member

You should be able to install 4GB, although your system will likely only recognize 3.3GB (hopefully only for now until Snow Leopard comes out).

Apple's website is sometimes misleading and difficult to understand.

Some MacBook's can only accommodate 2GB. Others more.

Check the box that your MacBook came in (I kept mine like most, although I'm not sure why) - I have an early 2008 MacBook, same as yours and it indicates right on the box expandable to 4GB.

You could also go to Apple's support website and type in your serial number. It will tell you the type of MacBook you have and its components. It will indicate how much RAM your model can handle. You could bookmark the web page for a quick reference of your Mac.

If you have a Penryn, you should be fine.

6. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I installed 4GB of DDR2 from Crucial in my early 2008 Macbook. No problems....

7. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, thank you! I threw my box away, I wasn't allowed to keep it. Also, if I upgrade to snow leopard, does it erase all my files? How do I keep everything? Also will it work when I have my version of screenflow installed?

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Use Apple System Profiler to tell us (1) your cpu speed, (2) if it's Core 2 Duo and NOT Core Duo, and (3) what your graphics gpu is. Then we can tell you precisely how much RAM your MacBook can take.

It it only recognizes 3.3 gb now, Snow Leopard will not allow anything beyond that because that means the MacBook has a Calistoga chipset, which has a 32-bit memory controller. No software or firmware can overcome that.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No. If you choose to upgrade (the default option in the installer), all of your files will be preserved.

Whether a particular piece of software is compatible with a new operating system depends on the developer. Snow Leopard shouldn't fail because you have ScreenFlow installed, but ScreenFlow may fail because you have Snow Leopard installed.

10. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I meant will screenflow work in snow leopard, sorry

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 1 GB

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ask the developer.

12. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Use Crucial's memory advisor to select your model of MacBook. It will tell you what memory will work.

No, you don't need a special screwdriver. A small Philips screwdriver should be all you need.

14. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Apple has often made Macs that really accept more RAM than it specifies. Seems like it often has to do with more of a comparison between the MB and MBP (way to upsell the MBP over the MB - or they just don't want to support it on the MB since they don't sell it for the MB). I think the BEST place to find information would be to do a search here on MacRumors on what RAM people normally use and how much you can use in your system. It seems to me I have read for a year that people put 4 GB RAM in those. But, I think someone recently did some research and found that on that particular MB it would accept one 2 GB and one 4 GB stick (was a big deal with people wondering why couldn't use 8 GB - although they were testing MBPs but said CPUs used in both MB and MBP should accept 6 GB). If you do a "search" here on MacRumors.com, I am sure you will find some facts about it.

I wouldn't recommend going to Crucial and allowing them to "scan" your system or anything else. Just what we need, some third-party vendor "scanning" anything on our Macs.

4 GB should really make that thing a lot faster. And 4 GB of 667 MHz DDR2 RAM is really inexpensive if you buy it somewhere like NewEgg.com. And MacSales.com has some great deals too. They will often give a "rebate" if you send in the old RAM after installing the new RAM.

Good luck.

15. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

What type of RAM should I get? I am not looking to spend too much, and I am buying from TigerDirect because it is only about 7 minutes away from me

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You don't need a _special_ screwdriver, but you need a Philips Size 0 screwdriver, which is tiny and you might not have one in your toolbox. You should get it in a good DIY store; I got a set of 5 different tiny screwdrivers for £1.98 (hope I find it when I need it again).

Don't try undoing the screws with the wrong size screwdriver; if the screwdriver doesn't fit, you might easily damage the screws and that is a pain.

17. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I think sometimes Apple has sold Macs when the next larger memory size had just become available, but was still in its extremely expensive phase (like right now a single 4GB chip costs four times as much as two 2GB chips). In these cases Apple hasn't advertised that it can use the bigger and ridiculously expensive memory, probably because someone would turn it into an attack against Apple. And when that happens, somehow the specs never get upgraded ever.

18. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If you consult the links that were posted in response to your original question, you will find plenty of good information on the type of memory your computer takes.

19. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

SODIMM DDR2 PC-5300 667 MHz

The one in my range is 76.99, but is PC-5400

20. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I really believe it all has to do with what they will SELL for it. If you were Apple, would you support 8 GB of RAM if you only sold up to 4 GB RAM? Probably not, because one you are not cashing in, and two it could cause problems if you did not configure and test it properly with 8 GB RAM.

Plus, I think it's a selling tool. What better way to make someone buy a MBP, when they need 4 GB RAM, than to only say the MB supports 2 GB. It's an upsell, and it makes perfect sense. Most Mac buyers are going to buy a Mac. Not like they are going to buy some other brand, they are going to choose from available Macs. Look at what Apple did with the new 17" MBP... genius. Allow 8 GB and profit fully from it. AND, it's an upgrade that professionals cannot get in the 15" MBP. So, they spend more money as they want their MBP to have 8 GB RAM.

Apple is genius at the upsell. They know their buyers are going to buy Mac and from Apple. So, they offer feature differences between the models that generally require spending more gets you better "specs." If they offered 4 GB RAM in the MB, they may gain $150 for the RAM upgrade via BTO, but how much would they LOSE by having people buy MBs over MBPs? A $400 to $999 difference right now (MB $999 to $1599 and MBP at $1999 to $2499). For some people, the RAM may make the choice simple for them if they think they NEED 4 GB RAM to run their applications on it.

Apple = $$$ = Genius!