White OEM back plate on black 4S (Pics)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by KentuckyHouse, Nov 20, 2011.

1. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

In the aftermarket back plate thread that's floating around here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1271719), hizzaah posted a link to Apple Parts Store.com (http://applepartsstore.com/index.php/) as being a good place to get replacement parts. After looking around their website, I found that they have the OEM back plates (complete with glass, frame, camera cover, and flash diffuser already installed) for $25. This is a mod I've wanted to do since I first saw someone else do it not long after the iPhone 4 came out (that is, to put a white back plate on a black 4/4S, in effect making the phone two-tone). So, for $25 and free shipping, I was on my way.

First, a word about Apple Parts Store.com. I can't recommend them enough! I ordered the back plate on Monday night and it arrived on Saturday morning, safely boxed and packaged and clearly labeled as a glass object. Their prices are great, shipping is fast, and checkout is a breeze. I've already ordered another part from them today (I'll get to that in a bit).

Now, on to the white back plate. :D

As most of you know, swapping them out is easy. Remove the two pentalobe screws on the bottom of the phone, push up on the back plate (towards the top of the phone), then simply lift off. It's as simple as that. Of course, it helps if you've got the right PENTALOBE screw driver (as in, the right size)! I stupidly ordered a cheap one from eBay and it turned out to be just a tiny bit too large for the screws! Good thing I only paid $2.50 for it. But it fit well enough to remove the screws, though reinstalling them has a bit of a problem (again, I'll get to that in a second).

Anyway, here I've already removed the black back plate. Just giving you a look at what everything looks like. Oh, and those pentalobe screws are TINY! That's them laying on the white back plate.

[​IMG]

And here's the inside of the phone for those of you that may not have seen it before. Nothing scary...lol.

[​IMG]

White back plate waiting to go on (there's those tiny screws)

[​IMG]

And the original black back plate (I've got a crappy back protector on there, so pay no attention to the "L" shaped bubble on the bottom right) :p

[​IMG]

I apologize, but I forgot to take a picture of the inside of each back plate to show that they're exactly the same. This is definitely OEM stuff that you'll get from Apple Parts Store.

Now for the good stuff. Here's some shots of the phone with the white back/black front. Obviously, you can't tell from the front or back, but from the side, it gives a pretty unique profile.

[​IMG]

Front

[​IMG]

Back

[​IMG]

Now, to go with this, I picked up a Griffin Reveal Frame on eBay for about $7. It's not bad at all. There are a couple of minor imperfections on the inside (having to do with the silicone), but nothing major. I like it with the black front/white back, though. I also like that it still shows off the stainless steel band.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I said I'd get to the screwdriver in a second. I'd advise anyone that needs a pentalobe screw driver to spend a little extra and get it from a reputable place, and probably not eBay. I placed an order with Apple Parts Store today for one of theirs, along with 2 extra pentalobe screws (just in case). You may notice in the shots showing the front and back of the phone that you can see the screws sticking out a little at the bottom. That's because the screwdriver I got from eBay is a bit too large and I can't get a good enough bite on the heads to get them all the way back in. So, for now, I'm using a full-body case to ensure the screws can't come out and go anywhere. But once I get the new screwdriver in and I'm able to tighten them down properly, I'll go back to using the bumper in the pictures above.

I know it's a novel, but I figured some people would like to see this. :D

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I don't think I will do that unless my backplate shatters. I detest the white front as it distracts from the screen but like the tradition of white on Apple products. The combination you have is perfect!

Good job!

3. hizzaah macrumors 6502

Looks really nice! Thanks for the pics! :)

Glad the site worked out for you. Too bad you couldnt find a local place to pick up a pentalobe drive though.

4. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Great review. Although I must say your iPhone now looks like the 3G/S white version.

To each it's own.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I think that was the point. MOAR PICTURES PLEASE.

6. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Thanks! At least I've got an extra back plate around now in case something awful happens...lol. And I'm exactly like you when it comes to the front of the phone being white. I love the look of it...until you turn the screen on. I've always felt like the white front takes away from the screen.

Thank you, hizzaah! I was able to do this for about half the price after you posted that link, so I really appreciate that! And yeah, not being able to find the pentalobe screwdriver locally sucks, but hopefully this one that's coming from Apple Parts Store will do the trick. They say they test each one to make sure the fit is correct, so that made me a lot more comfortable ordering it from them.

You hit the nail right on the head. I always liked the way the white 3GS was only white on the back. Now I have the best of both worlds. And it's such an easy swap that if I want the black one back on there, I can have it done in a couple of minutes. Oh, and I'll get some better pictures up in the next couple of days. Unfortunately, the only thing I had handy was my 3GS, so that's why the pictures aren't that great...lol. :D

7. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

And where did you get a OEM white black plate?

8. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

applepartsstore.com...I posted the link in the original post (the 2nd link you see). :D

9. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

This is great! Thanks so much. I've been wanting to do this 4 ever. Quick question, in your post you said it was $25 bucks. I see a white back for $35. I just wanted to make sure I got the correct one. Thanks

10. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

You're welcome, Jnardis. This is the one I purchased...it's the OEM back plate that includes everything, already assembled. You simply take the old one off and put this one on. :D

http://applepartsstore.com/index.php/iphoneparts/iphone4s/iphone-4s-back-housing-white.html

11. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

12. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Hmm...that's weird. I wouldn't think the IP4 one would be more expensive, either. Odd.

I did notice that they just came out with a blue conversion kit last week. If they eventually start selling just the blue back plate, I may have to give that a whirl (blue being my favorite color!) :D

13. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Blue does look nice, but I would assume it's not OEM? I only want OEM. Mental thing with me. LOL

I'm not sure what the difference between the 4s and 4 back plate is?

14. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Yeah, I would assume it's not OEM either, although the conversion kit does come with the front, complete with a replacement Retina display. So, I'm not sure how that works.

And I don't blame you wanting only OEM stuff. As far as the differences go, I think it has something to do with the tabs that "catch" as you slide the plate down into place. I believe they're a bit different on the 4 vs. 4S. I'm not completely sure, though. I do know some people who've ordered 4 back plates for their 4S' have reported that they don't fit correctly, even the CDMA version.

15. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info. I'm going to order the 4 white.

16. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

17. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

In your opinion...

18. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

It's all subjective. You don't like it...I do. There's nothing wrong with either point of view. To each his own, right? :D

19. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Why? Because you don't like!

20. jasko, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

Looks nice man. I have a white iPhone and wish I had gotten the black to do this now in retrospect.

So anyway, I posted in that other back-plates thread and I actually ordered 2 backplates from SW-BOX.com. Terrible terrible quality on these friggin things. I ordered a red back replacement and one of the brushed metal ones.

The red ones diffuser was already installed on it and completely washed out my photos with flash on (entire pic was white). The brushed metal one didn't have a diffuser, I tried to put one on, failed at that, and the overall quality of it was very cheap looking.

I just got these today and will be, unfortunately, sending them back to Hong Kong at my own expense. Do not order from them!

I'll check out the site you ordered from... Are they in the US? How's the picture quality with the flash on? Any washing?

Thanks.

21. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Man, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience! That sucks. :mad:

Yeah, the site is in the US. I believe my back plate (and the screwdriver and extra screws that I ordered Sunday) shipped from Salt Lake City. Their response time is great. I ordered on Sunday night and by yesterday afternoon, I'd already gotten a ship notice on the screwdriver. I think the back plate took about 4-5 working days to get here (Salt Lake to Kentucky), and they use USPS.

I actually tested the picture quality of the white back plate after reading that some people were having problems with wash out on the white 4S. I can see absolutely NO wash out. The pictures look exactly the same as when I've got the black back plate on there.

The site states that these are GENUINE OEM Apple parts, and from looking, feeling, and comparing them to the original black back plate, I have no reason to think otherwise. If it's a fake, then it's a damned good fake! But I believe them when they say these are OEM Apple-manufactured parts.

I sound like a shill for the company, but I like to spread the word about good service and good companies, and this one has been fantastic on both orders I've placed. I highly recommend them.

22. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

That's good to hear. I went ahead and ordered a plate from that site. Thanks for the review!

23. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Would you recommend an after-market white back housing from their website? It would slash the white conversion kit from $99 to $84.

24. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Hmm...I'm kinda confused on what you're asking. What I ordered from them IS the white back housing. As far as the company goes, I would definitely recommend them. If you can clarify what you mean, I'll be glad to give my take on it. :D