White or Aluminum

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by redking31591, Feb 12, 2009.

1. redking31591 macrumors 6502

I'm getting my first mac tommorrow. Should I get the white or the aluminum macbook? I am really torn over which one to get. The cost is not much of a factor, it comes down to more of a difference in build quality and feature set.

2. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

Then I'd certainly suggest the Alu.

There's also loads of threads on this on the forum search.

3. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Aluminium, the white is Ok but the Alu is faster.
    Its too early to say if there are any problems with the build on the Alu, but the plastic's used to crack, though they don't seem too anymore...

4. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

None of them seemed to answer exactly what I wanted to know

5. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

If money's not an issue, why even bother posting this thread?

Your standards are "build quality and feature set"...pretty obvious answer isn't it?:confused:

6. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

Fair enough. I guess there's been a few complaints over the curvature of the lids on the Alu MB and MBP models, the plastic model is, however, more likely to crack.

I think the Alu is a sound choice though, especially if money is no object.

7. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

my dad wants me to get the white one and he has put a shadow of doubt in my mind over spending the extra $300 on the alum. one and I just want to have other people's opions that I could take to him to prove that the Aluminum one was better.

8. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I have a black plastic and it hasn't cracked, I don't have a problem with it. However, I would probably get an Alu, even though it is a first revision...

9. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

If he's buying it for you, be happy with whatever one you get...they're both good.

If you're paying for yourself, get the one you want (alum).

Good luck. ;)

10. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

he's paying but my mom is fine with the aluminum. he's not really computer savy and just thinks about price.

11. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

The white is much better price for performance. You also have firewire and better wireless reception. As for the alu-macbook... you have better design/quality, DDR3 vs. DDR2 RAM (doubt you would notice any difference though), new trackpad, better looks, etc. But, same processor on the lower-end aluminum as the plastic, same graphics card on all, etc. Both of the screens aren't that great, but the plastic is less reflective (but still glossy). Oh, and the white plastic gets dirty easily.

I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out, but it sounds like you simply want an alu-macbook and are looking for a convincing argument to tell your dad. Best thing is to take him to a store and show him both in person. The alu-macbook looks like an expensive piece of electronic equipment and he may want to spend more on it than the plastic.

12. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

P.S. - If they're paying, you may still be in school. If so, be sure to get the educational discount.

13. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am, but the education discount is only $50.

14. Paix247 macrumors 6502

The white one is probably the best package for $999 Apple has ever offered. It is a great deal. For the extra $300 you are getting faster RAM, 40GB larger hard drive, plus a glass LED screen & multitouch trackpad. Personally, it is worth it to me because the Alu will look newer longer, is more eco-friendly, and is slightly faster.

Edit: If price is an issue, there is a Alu MacBook in the refurb section right now for $200 off! I would jump on that ASAP. I have purchased the refurbs before, and they are just like new.

15. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

btw will apple price match an online store's discount like club mac?

16. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I've never heard of Apple doing anything like this, no.
    $1,099 for the Alu one though, why haven't you purchased it yet? ;)

17. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Oh boy, one day ...

18. animaxcg macrumors regular

get the white one has the specs unibody (the whitebook has a smaller Hard drive but you can upgrade that) has and includes a firewire. and not as many issues with the white ones.

and for us power user the new Glass trackpad sucks (my personal opinion)

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Get the Aluminum. It's your first Mac so you have no experience to base this decision on. Definitely don't listen to the bozos that worry about the hairline cracks that aren't even there. Get the newest machine that is "under warranty".

20. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

What do you plan to use the MacBook for? If you will be doing any serious audio or video-related work, it's worth mentioning that the white MacBook has a FireWire port. Also, DDR2 memory is much cheaper ($30 for 4GB after rebate on newegg).

As far as build quality, however, the alum MacBook is much better. The whitebook we have is starting to show its age.

21. Psychmike macrumors regular

Always easy to say when you're spending someone else's money! ;)

22. jpberaut macrumors newbie

MacBook Aluminium, is adictive !

I got a MacBook Aluminium one of the first ones you could put a hand on, (It whasnt easy to get one). I never where exited about buyng a laptop before, ( to heavy, not much autonomy, I didnt like the trackpads, poor performances, etc) The MacBook Aluminium is just fantastic, Im crazy about it, I bring it every where, its so compact, robust, and light, good power autonomy, the trackpad is, once you ajust your way and get a little use to it, you forget about using a mouse, its just adictive, The graphic chip is powerfull, the built in ISight is very good, the "N" wireless is great. I changed the hard drive, and put a 320 "7200 rpm" Seagate that has the shock proof technologie. It fell of a table on a wooden floor wile it whas runing, not a scratch and still runs like new.

I have tried the white one for a week it didnt have the same effect on me at all.

Note: I would of preferd it to have a firewire port, but its no big deal after all, at least for me.

23. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I think this is an easy decision. If you want Firewire or have a MiniDV video camera, the white Macbook is the way to go. Otherwise, the Aluminum is the way to go.

24. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Just go with what your dad wants to do and say thank you sir.