Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
Just wondering what you guys think, normally the black should win here, but I d like to hear what others think.

taeccool

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
I say black. There is a reason why all HD TVs are black.
White ipad is pretty but not good for reading I think.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
i vote for black too. The white ipad looks hella cool. But I could see my eyes getting tired after some time.

nmills

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
I don't think the white would be a distraction. I had a white Kindle and didn't even notice it.
Then I got a decal girl skin (funky and colorful) and it was also not a distraction.
I'm getting the white iPad. I think it just looks sleeker (just my opinion!)

brewno

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
paper's white. the background will be white (at least on my books, i dont like the black background). So I'll purchase the white. :) I used to have the black iPad 1, now I wanna change.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
A white border will emphasise the blacks on the screen. (I find this a bit jarring on first glance, since it makes the titlebar on iPad highly prominent.)

A black border makes the whites seem whiter. (This is why all e-ink readers should be dark-bordered, otherwise the paper looks grey.)

I'm coming round to the white iPad - but I'll need to see it in action before i make a decision.

iPad 2nd Gen

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
People who get white just want to be different. Black (or any dark color) has been proven time and time again to be easier on the eyes.

fairoasis

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
Not sure about the iPad, but I had a white Kindle and found the white border to be annoying. I ended up getting a black silicone cover, eliminated the white, and enjoyed reading on it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Darker is better, so if you're worried about distraction from reading. I think the back iPad has an edge there.

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
For colors to pop more you want a black border so the black iPad would be ideal if you're really picky about how well the screen looks. Although many probably would not be able to really tell the difference. I'm going with black just because I liked the first one in black.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
The white one is a lot nicer, but I do think the black would be better on the eyes for reading.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
Black boarder better to watch videos

White boarder better to read with (same color as paper)

make your choice, but seriously who cares, don't worship the device
it's just a tool, get one to entertain yourselves but then move on.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I've always found black to make a better border. That said, I would agree with the notion that you probably wouldn't notice much once you had it for a bit.

Personally, I'm amazed that Apple still continues with some of the white products. It's long since been worn out. It gives off the same vibe as all the beige computer equipment did.

fobfob

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
So who's with me on this. The only reason they're shipping a white iPad is because they can (cf. iPhone 4).

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I'm having a hard time with this. At fist I thought "White"? WTF.

Now I don't know. I want the white.

For reading, white may even be better as the; "rest of the page is white".
It's not like the Kindle where you can barely see the words.

Movies not so much.

I want white...no black....white....:confused:

I REALLY don't want to make an fool out of myself at the counter :D

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
I'm having a hard time with this. At fist I thought "White"? WTF.

Now I don't know. I want the white.

For reading, white may even be better as the; "rest of the page is white".
It's not like the Kindle where you can barely see the words.

Movies not so much.

I want white...no black....white....:confused:

I REALLY don't want to make an fool out of myself at the counter :D

I'd say go along to the Apple store and try each out. Then see which one you like the best

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Black for me. White just pops out too much to me. Want something more non de-script.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I'm getting the white one. I think it looks nice, reminds me of the old white macs and the classic iPod. Most gadgets seem be black, it's nice to have something different for a change.

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
The black border is going to help you focus in on the actual screen while the white is very distracting at time.

Anyone remember the white samsung LCD's back in 2004? No bueno...

blow45

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
I'm getting the white one. I think it looks nice, reminds me of the old white macs and the classic iPod. Most gadgets seem be black, it's nice to have something different for a change.

we think alike, white is again the new black, and it will go nicely with my white imac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.