White or black?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mascots, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

While I was gonna wait for the iPhone 5 (or whatever it may be called), my iPhone was thrown off of a second story deck and destroyed on some concrete and stairs (a long bumpy ride).

[​IMG]

So, now it's time to upgrade: Should I go for a black or white one? What do you guys think? Any personal lust towards one vs the other? Or should I just use a crappy phone and wait for awhile for the 5? (I'm patient but getting impatient)

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Buy a 3G/3GS off of ebay, or just buy replacement glass and repair it yourself and white IMO ... you are only 3 months away :-/

3. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Since the latest rumors point to a very likely September release. I'd say wait it out buddy, it's only 3 months away. Get a crappy Nokia 'smartphone' to keep you chugging for the last leg. Otherwise you'll kick yourself when the iPhone 5 is announced and you knew that you could've gotten it.

Either way, i always get the black iPhone. I find that it looks much better, and is much easier to maintain as well.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

but will he have a color choice in Sept or will apple say some crazy story to delay the white vesion to fill the gap between releases

5. pyro008 macrumors 6502

Cant you get a new one from Apple for 200 then sell it for more when the 5 comes out?

6. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I just replaced my 3GS screen for $8. Plus about an hour of labor (couldn't get the double sided tape to stick (cheap)). Its pretty easy to do. As long as everything else is working (buttons etc) just replace the screen.

7. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I would wait and just buy a crappy phone from craigslist or even an used iPhone if you must have one...cheapest one to hold you off until the iPhone 5 is released. Once it's released sell the used one you got.

8. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

White of you are a teenage girl or wear affliction/taping shirts. Black if you have any self respect

9. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

Bullcrap. I have a white iP4 and I have respect. I am a decorated partially disabled combat veteran and no man decides for me what phone I own. No little school boys and not you.

The color phone you own does not give one self respect. If you use an iPhone for that then you are one miserable son of a goat.

10. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Me personally I would go white for 4 different reasons:
    1. Reflects light away more than black so doesn't get as hot in the car
    2. Doesn't show fingerprints as much as black
    3. Less common so better resale value
    4. Accessories match since they are white as well for the OCD

11. iphoneIA macrumors regular

IMO I would go with the black if you go with any at all. I really like the black IP4 and if you put it in a case it doesn't really matter then. I would probably due what others are saying. Go get a cheap smartphone and wait till Sept. to see if the Iphone 4S/5 comes out. If it does you are golden, if not get the IP4. Good luck.

12. AmereckanPsycho macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

White 3GS's are nice. White iPhone 4's look cheap. Skip the 4 and wait for the next model.

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I own a black iPhone 4 but prefer white. I got black because the $400 used from Kijiji was a hell of a lot cheaper than paying $659 for a new white (or black) one in addition to 13% sales tax where I live.

Regardless, I think you should either replace the screen (if you have any technical knowhow). Like another poster said, you can get new digitizers from eBay for $8-$10 US. It just takes a long time. You can also buy the whole assembly (LCD, Midframe, Digitizer) from eBay for about $50. The installation is easy and quick!

Or get a crappy phone and use that till the iPhone 5 comes out.

14. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I have never been a fan of the white. I want black, like the rest of my electronics. The 360/Wii ruined my life. :p

I would buy an older iPhone to use until iPhone 4S/5 comes out.

15. TheXFactor macrumors regular

Even if it's announced in Sept, you probably won't get your mitts on one until Oct or knowing Apple, Nov. Not unless you wanna stand in line for 3 days in the pouring rain. Get a used one off Craigslist and then sell it when the new ones become available.

16. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Get the crappy phone for a couple months, or an iPod touch.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You might be able to get a free replacement from Apple if you acknowledge that the warranty doesn't cover that damage.

18. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Biased and stereotypical much? I guess that applies when people choose a white car over a black car too. :rolleyes: I am a pharmaceutical student with plenty of self-respect. Certainly not a teeny bopper, and oh, I dress modestly and appropriately too. Disregard his post, choose whichever color you think looks best.

-White iPhone user

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Honestly, the post by Cortezbanks makes me want to get a white iPhone to prove him wrong. That being said, I love how the black one looks much more.

20. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I've had both a black and white iPhone 4 and let me say that I do believe the white one is the best looking version.

The problem is that I see no reason to buy the white unless you are going to either go naked or use a bumper style case. Covering it up with a full body case is almost criminal IMO.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, get some cheap phone from ebay and wait.

22. Mascots thread starter macrumors 65816

Mascots

I forgot to mention that just replacing the screen wouldn't fix my phone, the fall managed to put some extreme damage to the back casing, it's starting to crack up from the dock connector and spider out from that.
    My volume buttons also gained a mind of their own.

23. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

I like the way the white one looks as it's also clean like the black one, but personally I think the black bezel looks good against the screen. Like the MBP and many other things with screens, a black bezel seems to look and work better than a white bezel in my opinion. I would say you really couldn't go wrong with either but I like the way the black bezel looks against the screen.

24. mckinnie macrumors newbie

I'm beer drinking country boy that lives on a farm and I have a white iPhone 4, you tool.

25. tombubi macrumors regular

I think white ones look a lot nicer and more eye catching, but my advice is like many others, wait another 3 months and grab the new one