Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Dude here. I have a white sport band. Like it very much. Wear it probably once a week. It does somehow feel better than my mightnight blue one. My green one (the now-discontinued neon green) also feels similarly as supple.
White feels better probably because it's thicker and heavier? If yes, wonder why Apple made it thicker and heavier than the other colors?!? Also wonder if Tim Cook is still wearing his White Sport Band with his SS AW, although now probably an AW2.

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
As of now, the white sport band is my favorite band...it feels so good...richer in "feeling" compared to my Midnight Blue...and has replace (for time being) my Classic Buckle Saddle Brown band as daily wear.

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
As of now, the white sport band is my favorite band...it feels so good...richer in "feeling" compared to my Midnight Blue.

ec89eebbc17376668d7d0fd0ba75d69e.jpg

Fancy "Portrait" mode:
bd9ee842eb6551e012afa08d2c80e108.jpg

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
This is really interesting. I find it strange the bands have such different weights. But I did notice a difference between the white and black. Bought the regular stainless on white and then switched to space black on black. I did love that white band, though. Felt not only heavier but more supple. I'm a guy and had no problem wearing it. Might have to buy one for the space black watch.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Different rubbers have different densities and with the straps it's not just simply a change of colour.

The white does look smart. Sat next to guy in a meeting yesterday and he had a white band in his black AW. Might look into getting one myself.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is really interesting. I find it strange the bands have such different weights. But I did notice a difference between the white and black. Bought the regular stainless on white and then switched to space black on black. I did love that white band, though. Felt not only heavier but more supple. I'm a guy and had no problem wearing it. Might have to buy one for the space black watch.

I own 15+ sport bands. And all of them have a different texture and weight to them. My Product Red sport band is much more dense than my Walnut sport band.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Can we conclude that the sports band that weigh the most are the ones that are most supple? And white weights the most.

Another poster in another thread said he thought the sports band were almost as breathable as the Milanese. That sounds too good to be true. If that's the case then I all set for the summer. I had the Milanese and it was great during the summer humid heat . . . very comfortable!

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
IMG_0187.JPG
After one year of owning a white sport band I reckon it's probably my favourite strap. The weight feels good on the wrist and it's still as white as it was when purchased. I wash mine several times a week with dish soap and it has maintained its brightness and no peeling/blemishes like other bands have. Wearing it on the space black watch has really grown on me too.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
When the original AW was launched, I ordered a 42mm SS with Black Sport Band. The lead times were stupid for dispatch and delivery. I then ordered the version with the White Sport Band and that shipped and arrived much much sooner. Fell in love with the white band. Ordered the 42mm SS S2 with White Sport band at launch and sold my 1st Gen for a decent price. I own many Apple straps (6 sport, 5 nylon, 3 classic buckle, 1 loop) and still love the white sport. I think my second favourite sport I own is the "Fog" one. To this day, I still don't own a black sport strap, although I am awaiting delivery from CEX of a black/grey and a silver/white official Nike bands.

Edit: My Midnight Blue and Cocoa sport bands feel different to all my others, and they have become somewhat shiny and flexible despite being treated no differently.

pcall1128

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2015
Pennsylvania
When the original AW was launched, I ordered a 42mm SS with Black Sport Band. The lead times were stupid for dispatch and delivery. I then ordered the version with the White Sport Band and that shipped and arrived much much sooner. Fell in love with the white band. Ordered the 42mm SS S2 with White Sport band at launch and sold my 1st Gen for a decent price. I own many Apple straps (6 sport, 5 nylon, 3 classic buckle, 1 loop) and still love the white sport. I think my second favourite sport I own is the "Fog" one. To this day, I still don't own a black sport strap, although I am awaiting delivery from CEX of a black/grey and a silver/white official Nike bands.

Edit: My Midnight Blue and Cocoa sport bands feel different to all my others, and they have become somewhat shiny and flexible despite being treated no differently.
I know what you mean about becoming "shiney" my midnight blue is like that, also a bunch of other colors. When the original Watch came out I ordered the SS BSB as well and the black band gets shiney too. I think it's just the dark color that brings out the shine more.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I've just bought an after market version of this strap, sorry Apple I can't justify £49 for the real thing when a good copy costs £10. Having seen the AW on white I liked the look and it comes tomorrow on Amazon Prime.

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
I've just bought an after market version of this strap, sorry Apple I can't justify £49 for the real thing when a good copy costs £10. Having seen the AW on white I liked the look and it comes tomorrow on Amazon Prime.

Your band is silicone, right?

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
A type of yes. As I haven't got it yet I can't compare it to the Apple concrete version I have. Having done my research it's supposed to be very similar in feel the the AW version with a similar density. I'll be able to review it properly tomorrow.

Link to it?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It's sold by MoKo on Amazon.

It's cheap enough to replace if it discolours in a couple of months. I read about it on a google search earlier this morning and the people who owned it said it was close in feel. We shall see.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
The white band actually stays amazingly clean. Plus the Mr Clean magic erasers are your friend for anything white they do a fantasic job.

+1 on the Magic Eraser. I just tried it for the first time a few days ago and I was amazed at how well it worked. Also, I was surprised that it wasn't very abrasive. I expected abrasiveness to be its essence.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
+1 on the Magic Eraser. I just tried it for the first time a few days ago and I was amazed at how well it worked. Also, I was surprised that it wasn't very abrasive. I expected abrasiveness to be its essence.

The magic eraser does certainly work. @Julien used it on his Sport band to remove paint. I haven't tried it, but it's certainly an option to remove stubborn stains.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I've wanted to try the white band for awhile. Picked up a white Moko awhile back and found a sealed BNIB genuine apple white sport band for $17 on eBay. There's a few new genuine bands of assorted colors now on eBay for $24 FYI.

swingandamiss

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
After one year of owning a white sport band I reckon it's probably my favourite strap. The weight feels good on the wrist and it's still as white as it was when purchased. I wash mine several times a week with dish soap and it has maintained its brightness and no peeling/blemishes like other bands have. Wearing it on the space black watch has really grown on me too.

The white and black contrast looks sweet. I don't like it when people use traditional leather straps, the modern looks wins every time for me.

Reactions: Defender2010

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
677a2042d2105775a9288d65f929a35a.jpg

Well it's arrived and it's not too bad. It's not as dense feeling as my Apple strap but feels very similar in terms of texture. I'll be interested to see how well it resists dirt over the coming days. I'm happy for the money. :)

Reactions: Thai

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

I've noticed this exact same thing with my ocean blue sport band. Hence, I sold it. Haven't worn my cocoa band so much to see this develop yet. White is great as you can't notice any change over time.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Just got my white sport band delivered to go with my space grey sport watch. I think white is underrated. Looks great on the SGS as does the Fog band which I also own. After wearing the knockoff Nike bands for awhile, I forgot how nice the OEM bands feel vs the silicone.

10deb6cb833ba5b3c685935bfaa12511.jpg

Reactions: Vampire14

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
I know what you mean about becoming "shiney" my midnight blue is like that, also a bunch of other colors. When the original Watch came out I ordered the SS BSB as well and the black band gets shiney too. I think it's just the dark color that brings out the shine more.

I'm not sure. I rotate bands frequently (most days I'll change it) and I don't think I've worn the black band more than others. Yet it seems shinier to me. The white band is still pristine as are the others. Perhaps a good cleaning will help with the black band, though if it's just from wear I doubt it will make much of a difference.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
i used the white sport band for a couple of weeks on a watch i eventually returned, and noticed no discoloration or wear. after just a few days wearing a black sport band i could see several shiny spots. i don't know if they were present on the white and just impossible to see because of the color (probably). but i didn't like the way the black was wearing in such a short time. need to get a sport band as i ultimately settled on a watch with milanese loop. trying to decide between midnight blue and white. will probably go with white. looks great with the stainless steel and stands out. also looking forward to seeing what's coming out in March in terms of new straps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.