Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ammo

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
I'm in the market for a new computer- my HP is pushing four years, I've nearly maxed out the 60GB HD and it occasionally throws tantrums where it refuses to function as a laptop and dies within 5 seconds of unplugging the AC adapter. I also use Macs at school and after Vista (thankfully I missed the Vista "upgrade" on this machine and got XP) I decided my next computer would be Apple.

Anyway, I've been tossing around whether to go with the new MacBook or go with a refurb Pro, and even at the same price point, ($999) I can't justify getting the aluminum machine.

With my education discount, for $1415.91 (incl. tax) I can get a Macbook upgraded to 4GB ram, 320GB HD, with iWork pre-installed and AppleCare.

If I go with the Pro, it's $1356.37 for a machine with 2GB ram, 160GB HD, iWork, and AppleCare. Since it's refurb, I can't upgrade the ram or HD unless I go into an Apple Store after the fact, and I can't afford to buy one new.

With my student discounts, I get way more bang for my buck by going with the Macbook. I also prefer the white to the aluminum- I love the gloss and shine, and I'll get a BodyGuardz to protect it, no big deal. And IMHO, the black keys on the silver case of the Pro are so ugly. Backlit keypad would be nice, but I don't ever look at the keys when I'm typing, nor do I often type in the dark. I don't use Firewire or SD- everything I have is USB. I've gone 4 years without an external battery light, so I'm okay with not having it now.

While it would be nice to have the Pro, I just can't justify getting less for the same amount of money. The only difference is the screen and casing, which is definitely not worth less RAM and HD. I just feel like down the road (especially if Apple updates the MBPs soon) I would regret having gone for the cool "look" of the Pros rather than what really counts- what's inside the machine.

I was in the same position you were. I ended up going with the Macbook over the Pro, mainly because I have a $200 rebate on the way from MicroCenter, so it's a Macbook for $800.

I don't know if that deal is still running but if it is I think it's worth saving the extra cash. This Macbook is truly beautiful and stacks up well next to the Pro when compared side-by-side. It also makes the old-style Macbook look like rubbish.

Aadhil

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
California
I was in the same position you were. I ended up going with the Macbook over the Pro, mainly because I have a $200 rebate on the way from MicroCenter, so it's a Macbook for $800.

I don't know if that deal is still running but if it is I think it's worth saving the extra cash. This Macbook is truly beautiful and stacks up well next to the Pro when compared side-by-side. It also makes the old-style Macbook look like rubbish.

For Californians, buying from Amazon is actually cheaper given that they do not charge taxes as well as shipping.

hellojamie

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2009
Texas
Just got my white Macbook in, and it's just about the prettiest computer I've ever seen. It is a little girly- I mean, I describe it in terms of pretty and cute, but it's really sleek and round and just perfect for me. I'm so glad I didn't go with the Pro.

I upgraded to 4 gigs of RAM and it's super zippy, and ABSOLUTELY SILENT. I've used it for a couple hours now and the fan hasn't kicked in once, the bottom isn't warm at all, and I didn't even notice until now that I wasn't noticing anything.

The color is very bright- I've got it at full brightness and it's very nice, but I don't really need it that bright. Haven't plugged it in yet, either, so I don't know if the brightness goes up once you have it on AC. The keyboard is very solid and has a good tactile feel. Also, the glass trackpad? Scary at first, because I could not find the clicker, but it's so neat. It's very intuitive, and for basic clicking and scrolling, took about 2 minutes to get down.

Sound is pretty good- better than my "entertainment notebook" HP, but it's a little tinny. Good for everyday things but I'm going to still be pumping my music through my Logitech surround iPod dock.

My boyfriend still prefers the look of the Pro, but I absolutely love this machine. It's very clean, almost retro Apple.

cphirman

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
I just bought the UMB with the Microcenter rebate. After two days, I'm loving it a lot. Runs cool and fast. I haven't had a Mac since the PPC days (ibook g3 was my last purchase), so it is great to be back. :)

Aadhil

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
California
Just got the UMB a few hours ago. It's awesome! I upgraded the ram to 4Gbs immediately afterwards, everything went flawlessly.

The only hiccup was expose not working properly but a software update to OS X 6.2 fixed that. Now everything is pretty flawless :)

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Just bought a white unibody last night after my Powerbook G4 took a spill from the couch (it was time for an upgrade anyway). So far I am very impressed.

- the screen is GORGEOUS
- battery life is amazing, 6 hours on full charge
- the most quiet computer I've ever been on
- although it may look cheap, it feels solid

I would highly recommend picking one up if you're in the market for one, can't beat the quality at this price point.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
It has grown on me since i first laid eyes on it and unless Apple update their pros soon i might end up with one, the only sticking point for me is the lack of IR receiver as i use my Apple remote a lot with front row when my iMac was alive. Anybody know any iPhone apps that work with frontrow?

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Just gave one to my wife this past weekend for her birthday. :D

So far, she absolutely loves it, and frankly, I think it was the best choice I could have made, especially for the money. (Picked one up for $849 on Amazon + NO tax=a fantastic deal)!

Even with the price, I'd say this is the nicest notebook we have owned. Physically, it's gorgeous. Power wise, it is more than sufficient for what it will be used for. Primarily web, e-mail, MS Office and Quickbooks. I'm also going to of course take it on our vacations next year, as it's so lite and portable.

Anyway, I give it a big thumbs up, and there isn't really anything that would entice me to "step up" to the lowest level aluminum over it. We are now officially a 100% Mac family, LOL. The only windows machine left running in the house, is a VM on Fusion that I use to access the office from home. :)

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
Girlfriend got one recently. I'm impressed with the build quality, the screen (!! very nice!!), and the battery life, compared with my 2007 Macbook.

Only complaint is, there are no cases to fit the darn thing! She ordered a keyboard protector and a case but they were both for the older Macbooks. For non techie type people, they expect a macbook to be a macbook to be a macbook...she was quite frustrated trying to figure out what search terms to use to find products that would fit this macbook.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Girlfriend got one recently. I'm impressed with the build quality, the screen (!! very nice!!), and the battery life, compared with my 2007 Macbook.

Only complaint is, there are no cases to fit the darn thing! She ordered a keyboard protector and a case but they were both for the older Macbooks. For non techie type people, they expect a macbook to be a macbook to be a macbook...she was quite frustrated trying to figure out what search terms to use to find products that would fit this macbook.

Speck makes a snap on case for it.

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/by_device?device_id=86

Incase makes them also:
http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/hardshell-case-cl57239

They are called the "13" white unibody MacBook"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.